Mclaughlin/Brubaker Split | Golden Skate

Mclaughlin/Brubaker Split

silversprings77

Rinkside
totally shocked. im wondering if they put all their eggs into the vancouver basket and when that didn't work out, lost their focus...i am stunned. they were the best prospects the US has had in pairs in a LONG time...as much as I <3 the local pairs here (Denney/Barrett, Evora/Ladwig train not too far from me), I don't see the IT factor in them like I did in M/B. hopefully they could come back together at some point...

NYscorp6

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I'm disappointed, I enjoyed their skating. They had great potential as a US pair team, with some wonderful qualities. It does sound as if she is done skating. Good luck to both of them in the future.

gold12345

Medalist
WHAT?!? I'm literally stunned to hear about her wanting to concentrate on school and other interests. It sounds like she is burned out! This pair was much too young and too good to be putting all the eggs in the Vancouver basket. One Nationals weekend gone wrong should NOT have been enough to shatter this team. Take a lesson from Johnny Weir! He wanted to leave the sport after a 5th place at Nationals, only to realize that was foolish, and he made the Olympic team a year later.

This is was VERY top notch pair team with a HUGE amount of potential. Very shocking news and very sad for US Pairs. There are a lot of sad breakups, but this was one is different. They were so great together and so young, which so much success early on... This shouldn't have happened and it's sad. :(

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
it reads to me like keauna is the one having trouble dealing with the hardships of last year and even the year before that. Sounds like shes stepping back and reevaluating her goals in life. More power to her.

my jaw hit the floor when i saw the news on facebook. So surprising. But also understandable.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Very dissapointing new. They were the most promising U.S pair in many years. I think they may have felt things just werent working anymore though and they were destined to continue a career that didnt live up to expectations. If that is the case it an understandable decision.

cornell08

Final Flight
I'm sad for this breakup and I hope nothing but the best for both M/B. I am torn between wanting Rockne to pair up with Tracy Tanovich or Amanda Dobbs.

Last edited:

mousepotato

On the Ice
I hope he finds a new parter fast. I don't think he will have trouble. She didn't seem very passionate or happy. I hope she enjoys school.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
We were at Skate for Hope Saturday night, and sadly, she fell on both of her triple throws (in opening number and in their solo). So I guess I am not really surprised at this. If you want to see photos of them from that night, go to Skate for Hope's Facebook page.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I'm not surprised. She grew and things were never quite as easy afterward. Rockne is just a little too short for a male pair skater. I hope if he finds a new partner, it is one who has finished growing, and is very petite. Do any of you remember Mariel Miller?

http://www.isufs.org/bios/isufs00007639.htm

Well, she grew, too.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Wow, I don't keep up with these splits but this one got me. :eek:

I hope they did not take their Olympic defeat too hard.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'm not surprised. She grew and things were never quite as easy afterward. Rockne is just a little too short for a male pair skater. I hope if he finds a new partner, it is one who has finished growing, and is very petite. Do any of you remember Mariel Miller?

http://www.isufs.org/bios/isufs00007639.htm

Well, she grew, too.

it took Jeremy Barrett a long while to finally find the right partner. Rockne is already a superstar so it should be easier for him to have his pick of the crop.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
As I understand it, Rockne loses his bye to Nationals. Can he find a partner fast and skate in the Grand Prix to preserve his bye; even if they don't do well?

Sylvia

Record Breaker
I think it's much more important that Rockne take the time he needs to find a suitable partner than worrying about losing his bye to US Nationals. There's no need to rush anything if he is serious about developing as a successful pair team for the next Olympic cycle. He and a new partner (if he found one in time for this season) wouldn't necessarily be handed a Skate America spot anyway. Normally the Skate America TBA and Senior B pairs spots are determined by the results of the Indy Challenge pairs competition in late July/early August (that's how Castile/Okolski earned their Nebelhorn Trophy and Skate America assignments last year).

ETA: Here's a Q&A with Rockne Brubaker following today's announcement: http://www.universalsports.com/blogs/blog=gofigure/postid=479237.html

Last edited:
WOW. I thought they were dynamite together and would have a brilliant future. What a tough sport.

Best of luck to them both. I'll always remember their wonderful West Side Story program.

SamuraiKike

Medalist
I think it's much more important that Rockne take the time he needs to find a suitable partner than worrying about losing his bye to US Nationals. There's no need to rush anything if he is serious about developing as a successful pair team for the next Olympic cycle. He and a new partner (if he found one in time for this season) wouldn't necessarily be handed a Skate America spot anyway. Normally the Skate America TBA and Senior B pairs spots are determined by the results of the Indy Challenge pairs competition in late July/early August (that's how Castile/Okolski earned their Nebelhorn Trophy and Skate America assignments last year).

[/url]

ITA. Brubaker&newpartner need to prove they can do well before giving them a spot at the GPrix . He shouln't be given a free Skate America spot just because his previous partnership was sucesfull when there are already so many teams with only 1 event or even none and more deserving. If he's really serious his next goal should be getting ready for sectionals. Indy Challenge is too soon right now and without competing there the chances of fairly getting a GP spot are almost zero.