Mclaughlin/Brubaker Split | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Mclaughlin/Brubaker Split

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
( Denny & Barrett , though ,are another matter entirely )

They're another team that lacks that chemistry that most want in a pairs team, but they are magic together nonetheless. I'm just so happy Jeremy's finally hitting his potential! I've loved watching him at nationals :) Hopefully he and Caydee will stick around for a while yet so I can see them live, too! :clap:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
They're another team that lacks that chemistry that most want in a pairs team, but they are magic together nonetheless. I'm just so happy Jeremy's finally hitting his potential! I've loved watching him at nationals :) Hopefully he and Caydee will stick around for a while yet so I can see them live, too! :clap:

I think that D/B lack the polish that McBru had in their partnership, but I agree that they are magical anyway. And I am impressed at how well they handle pressure and that in general are very consistent. (The the SBS double-instead-of-a-triple toeloop from Caydee at the Olympics being a very noticeable exception.)

i also think that E/L are great too and are a wonderful example of being late bloomers. Given the time it took for them to break though, they could have easily been discouraged and quit. But they didn't and had the opportunity of their life and took advantage of it. And they were pretty much clean for both Worlds and Olympics, which was great to see. Their Love Actually program was quite magical for me. :)

I think that for me, McBru were inconsistent and could not deal with heavy pressure. (I will note that McBru dealt with much more pressure than either D/B or E/L). In the end, however, you can have all the chemistry and beauty you want, but we've seen in other disciplines of FS, in the end you got to be ready to bring it and you have to stay persistent when things don't go well.

Last edited:

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:rolleye:I think the choreographic move D&B are making this season is intended to address that deficit..
I'm looking forward to the result.

skatemom8

Rinkside
:rolleye:I think the choreographic move D&B are making this season is intended to address that deficit..

I believe that's true. My understanding is David Wilson really worked on that in his choreography. I can't WAIT to see their new programs!

gold12345

Medalist

I, too, am interested in seeing how they do with a choreographer other than their coach. It might help to improve their overall look. They don't have balletic lines or great polish, but decent choreography could help mask their weaknesses and accentuate their strengths, while also helping them to relate better to the music and each other. I'm not thrilled about the LP music selection, but I think it should suit their style.

Now if only they had more competition for this season.... :cry:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I, too, am interested in seeing how they do with a choreographer other than their coach. It might help to improve their overall look. They don't have balletic lines or great polish, but decent choreography could help mask their weaknesses and accentuate their strengths, while also helping them to relate better to the music and each other. I'm not thrilled about the LP music selection, but I think it should suit their style.

Now if only they had more competition for this season.... :cry:

It will also be interesting how consistent their major elements remain when included in difficult choreography. M&B always improved their choreography with each season, sometimes at the expense of their elements.

Wicked

Final Flight
I liked this team and thought they could develop, but I thought they had zero chemistry. Can't say I'm surprised by this. Keauna seemed so devastated when they didn't make the Olympic team, I thought she might call it quits right then.

gold12345

Medalist
I liked this team and thought they could develop, but I thought they had zero chemistry. Can't say I'm surprised by this. Keauna seemed so devastated when they didn't make the Olympic team, I thought she might call it quits right then.

Two things... I'm curious what you mean by chemistry, because I really thought they had plenty of it. Also, who wouldn't have been devastated in that situation? The camera showed her crying, but I'm sure anyone would have cried for a long while under those circumstances. It's obviously disappointing, but it is possible to recover. For her sake, I would hope she's not still so emotional drained from that moment... But then again, what else could really have led to this decision? It does seem like Rockne was able to emotionally deal with this situation better... Right after the long program, he was already talking to the press about how they were going to get their title back and would work towards 2014.

lcd

Match Penalty
This is sad but understandable. They were truly wonderful to see during their first three seasons. Magical and dynamic. A pairing which earned the right IMO to be considered right up there with the other repeat National champions from the 70s and 80s. The Olympic qualifying year was a heart breaker. I thought they publicly handled their comments in the wake of the US nationals disappointment very graciously. Keeping my fingers crossed for Rockne to find a suitable partner to move forward again.

kssk8fan

Spectator
Is Rockne still in Ca. with Mr. Nicks? If so, what's the possibility that Sasha Cohen and he experiment with pairs? I read somewhere recently that she's putting together programs again. I can't quite create a vision of her doing pairs but she is tiny. If anything, they'd make a great looking couple!!!

gold12345

Medalist
:laugh: Sasha suddenly motivated at try pairs at age 25 would be kind of hilarious. She was barely motivated to do singles in the Olympic year last year, never mind learn something brand new (and scary). I don't think we'll see Sasha anywhere near a competition again.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Yes they had a lot of talent and charisma but lacked consistency and chemistry.

They lacked chemistry? I remember how the USFSA changed their web page banner after their first National title in 2008. Several posters saw the M/B picture, and thought it looked like they needed to get a room. Somebody at USFSA must have read the opinions because the picture was changed.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Sasha in pairs? We would all be holding our collective breath on that first throw triple! Although they would be a very cute couple......

No, I would rather see her in ice dancing doing some beautiful lifts.....she should work with her friend Johnny Weir - they are already good friends, and would look beautiful together.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
How about Rachael skating pairs with Rockne. The growth spurt that wreaked havoc with Caroline and Mirai seems to have passed over Rachael. Last I heard, she was still 5' 2".

gold12345

Medalist
How about Rachael skating pairs with Rockne. The growth spurt that wreaked havoc with Caroline and Mirai seems to have passed over Rachael. Last I heard, she was still 5' 2".

Rachael has problems with posture, speed, power, flexibility, and body line... Pretty much the exact opposite of Rockne. Why would she want to give up singles anyway? She gave up pairs so many years ago to focus on singles.

silverlake22

Record Breaker

Caroline and Mirai aren't much taller than Rachael, I know some random sites have Mirai listed as 5'5" but she's really only about 5'3.5", she was visibly shorter than Mao and Laura (who are 5'4.5") at the small medal ceremony at worlds, and as for Caroline, I think she is shorter than Mirai, her isu bio says 158 cm (5'2") and in those pictures from 4CC she looked about the same height if not shorter than 5'3" Akiko, and much shorter than Mao, I think the 5'4" on icenetwork is a stretch. I don't think Rachael would be good for pairs, but I think Caroline could probably do better in it than she is doing in singles now, plus her bendyness would come in handy.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Caroline's jumps are way too small for pairs, it would look like a man skating with a little girl. Besides she can't land her salchow either. Racheal is a singles skater, I can't imagine her in pairs.. why waste that 3/3?

As for Mirai's height, no way is she 5"5. I am 5"6 and she is much shorter than me. maybe 5"5 with her blades on.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Caroline's jumps are way too small for pairs, it would look like a man skating with a little girl. Besides she can't land her salchow either. Racheal is a singles skater, I can't imagine her in pairs.. why waste that 3/3?

As for Mirai's height, no way is she 5"5. I am 5"6 and she is much shorter than me. maybe 5"5 with her blades on.

Some good points. Rachael has all her triples and a 3f-3t, it wouldn't be tactical for her to switch to pairs. I don't know if the icenetwork or even isu stats are accurate, I mean icenetwork says Alena Leonova is 5'5" but she's like 5'2", and it says Elene G is 5'3" and I don't think she's even 5 feet. Caroline and Mirai are a lot taller than they used to be, but they are both still petite.

I would say Alissa but she's lefty and is probably retiring soon anyways, and she actually is about 5'5