What Posts should be edited or Deleted? Moderators | Golden Skate

What Posts should be edited or Deleted? Moderators

hurrah

Medalist
We shouldn't be careful at all. We should be as critical as possible. If you want to work in show biz, you better get used to it. And if you're real competitor, you'll listen to good advice and also prove naysayers wrong.

ITA

The only things that perhaps should be edited out are posts that are totally slanderous and based on falsehood, or aspects of the skater's private life that the skater has chosen not to reveal to the media and are unrelated to his/her career as a skater.

For example, I would say that e.g., if a skater gets failing grades in school, if a skater has had plastic surgery, if a skater has not so reputable family background, then these are issues that can be edited out from goldenskate.

However, if it's to do with the skaters' selection of music, costume, behavior on the ice, coaching situation, interviews s/he has given, so forth, then posters should be allowed to state their opinions.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Re: 2010-2011 Season Programs! All Disciplines

ITA

The only things that perhaps should be edited out are posts that are totally slanderous and based on falsehood, or aspects of the skater's private life that the skater has chosen not to reveal to the media and are unrelated to his/her career as a skater.

For example, I would say that e.g., if a skater gets failing grades in school, if a skater has had plastic surgery, if a skater has not so reputable family background, then these are issues that can be edited out from goldenskate.

In that case, the whole post would be deleted, not just edited, and either a warning or infraction issued to the poster, depending on how severe the slander was. GS is a news service, as well as a forum, and that's one reason we have small tolerance for either slander, unsourced rumors, or plagiarism.

hurrah

Medalist
In that case, the whole post would be deleted, not just edited, and either a warning or infraction issued to the poster, depending on how severe the slander was. GS is a news service, as well as a forum, and that's one reason we have small tolerance for either slander, unsourced rumors, or plagiarism.

I totally agree with you that slander, unsourced rumors and plagiarisms should be deleted (as I have already said). However, I do think that when the post is an statement of opinion about the skaters' selection of music, costume, behavior on the ice, coaching situation, interviews s/he has given, so forth, then there should be no editing nor deletion, or rather, if such posts are deleted, then that really is just censorship.

I can understand the sentiment that might move one to delete some posts. Maybe the moderator is a fan, maybe the moderator even knows the skater personally. And probably, all skaters in person are lovely people. However, these figure skaters are public figures, and especially the top skaters make a great deal of money doing this.

And the public have the right, they must be given the right to exercise free speech.

Re: 2010-2011 Season Programs! All Disciplines

Please put complaints about the administration of the forum, as well as demands to the moderators and declarations of rights, in the Feedback folder, rather than in on-topic threads.