Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Hypothetical question: What "formula" could be used for U.S. Olympic team selection?

Custom Title

Re: Hypothetical question: What "formula" could be used for U.S. Olympic team selecti

At this point I tend to think Mirai is the favorite to make the World Team, but the field in the US is always deep, so it's not really a gaurantee for anyone. I think a lot will depend on if Rachael can improve her spins/flexibility/speed/posture in the coming season when she won't be juggling school with all the skating, if Agnes and Christina continue to improve and transform into true senior ladies, if Nagasu can maintain her consistency, and if Zhang and/or Czisny can make a convincing comeback.Time will tell. In terms of scoring potential though, at this point, Mirai is by far the highest of all the US ladies.

Custom Title

Re: Hypothetical question: What "formula" could be used for U.S. Olympic team selecti

As far as I know, the difference between Olympics and Worlds is that at Worlds, there no pretense of using ISU scores to pick the team. So it's all Nationals. Whether USFSA judges will use ISU scores to massage National scores is anyone's guess, as it always is. My suspicion is that if a girl really makes a statement at the Grand Prix, her scores will get the most massaging.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar

Admittedly, at the time I wrote the original post, I was a bit D&O from the USA's loss in the WC.
    Well, I can understand that ... and now Mexico...

Quote Originally Posted by PolymerBob View Post
    As far as I know, the difference between Olympics and Worlds is that at Worlds, there no pretense of using ISU scores to pick the team. So it's all Nationals.
    I think there is precious little pretense for the Olympics, either.

In any case, I don't think it is ISU scores per se that would cause a skater's scores at nationals to receive a benign boost. I think it is just the overall interplay between, "that was a great performance, I'll give that high marks," and "we know this is a great skater, so whatever she does must by definition be pretty good."

(Definition. Good skating: what good skaters do.)

Custom Title

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    In any case, I don't think it is ISU scores per se that would cause a skater's scores at nationals to receive a benign boost. I think it is just the overall interplay between, "that was a great performance, I'll give that high marks," and "we know this is a great skater, so whatever she does must by definition be pretty good."
    I can accept most of that. There is just one problem with .... "we know this is a great skater". That problem is; exactly how does the USFSA ..... "know this is a great skater"? Does the USFSA determine a skater is great by watching Stars on Ice? ..... a charity benefit? ..... a summer club competition? No. The USFSA determines a skater is great by watching ISU events.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3