Amanda Dobbs finds time to challenge the USA's best | Golden Skate

Amanda Dobbs finds time to challenge the USA's best

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The U.S. National Figure Skating Championships feature some of the most compelling stories in sports history. Beyond the Tonya and Nancy fiasco, we have seen lives change seemingly overnight since skating became part of the American mainstream.

More

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
nice, thanks! I think Breakfast at Tiffany's is a great choice for her SP. Interesting to see which disciple really takes off for her this upcoming season and if she winds up choosing one over the other by season's end.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Thanks for posting. Two questions:

1) Are these articles written specifically for skating fans? Or just the general public searching for info on these skaters (i.e. like a NYT article)? Just curious

2) the second one is more hypothetical. I do wonder if and when Dobbs will finally settle on one discipline to compete in.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Amanda, please add some info on your scarves, including some pictures to your website? I looked and couldn't find them featured there.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
My goodness! How many $25 scarves would she have to knit to pay for a skating lesson?

My niece does this thing where she knits with no needle, just bare fingers. It's actually something to see.

gold12345

Medalist
My niece does this thing where she knits with no needle, just bare fingers. It's actually something to see.

What?!? Hahah, sounds impossible. But cool.

1) Are these articles written specifically for skating fans? Or just the general public searching for info on these skaters (i.e. like a NYT article)? Just curious

They seem very much geared towards skating fans. I really like these articles because they are usually much longer than the typical NYT article or something of that sort.

2) the second one is more hypothetical. I do wonder if and when Dobbs will finally settle on one discipline to compete in.

I'm surprised she doesn't just do singles. I wonder if she could get an additional triple if she had more time to devote to it. But she calls her skating partner her best friend, so maybe it's just fun to be doing both. I wonder how she avoids injuries and exhaustion!

R.D.

Record Breaker
They seem very much geared towards skating fans. I really like these articles because they are usually much longer than the typical NYT article or something of that sort.

That's another reason I asked. There's a bit of "lingo" thrown in there that wouldn't be representative of a regular newspaper article (e.g. referring to MK as the "Kween" without explaining that that's what her fans nicknamed her). Made me curious who the intended audience was.

lilshorty

On the Ice
I'm surprised she doesn't just do singles. I wonder if she could get an additional triple if she had more time to devote to it. But she calls her skating partner her best friend, so maybe it's just fun to be doing both. I wonder how she avoids injuries and exhaustion!

From what I've read on the forums, Amanda recently debuted her new SP at a summer comp in which she landed the triple flip. Kudos to her. :thumbsup:

She seems like a very hard worker with a strong work ethic. I really like Amanda and I hope does well. She could very well be my favorite US lady figure skater right now, behind Mirai or course. ;) She's also pretty and very Grace Kelly-ish to me.

lcd

Match Penalty
Wonderful basic skating skills and a sense of joy with her skating clearly helped set her apart last season. Now the challenges are greater as expectations will have risen, but she seems very much up to the task. All the best to her. And, would be nice to see a follow up on her which includes her pairs partner.

cornell08

Final Flight
Clearly she has no trouble with triple toes...does Joe have trouble with them? Because they had no triple jumps in their programs last season.

1) Are these articles written specifically for skating fans? Or just the general public searching for info on these skaters (i.e. like a NYT article)? Just curious.

Elvin Walker writes these interviews and articles specifically for Golden Skate, so I think he assumes that readers have a greater knowledge of skating than the average newspaper reader.

About Amanda's scarves, I just wanted to mention that I ordered one. It came today and it's a stunner. :rock: People shouldn't hesitate to order. She's a super-talented young woman - and very sweet. :yay:

Bob, I paid her more than she was asking. $25 is not enough for a handknitted scarf!