Plushenko loses eligibility | Golden Skate

Plushenko loses eligibility

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
ISU Communication No. 1622
http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=1902

5. Decision of the ISU Council on Eligibility of Mr. Evgeny Plushenko (RUS)
Based on evidence presented the Council has concluded that Mr. Evgeny Plushenko breached the
ISU eligibility rule 102, paragraph 2, i) of the ISU General Regulations and as a consequence has
become ineligible under paragraph 7 a) of that rule. The evidence has proved to the satisfaction
of the Council that Mr. E. Plushenko, a skater and member of the Figure Skating Federation of
Russia (FSFR), skated in exhibitions held in March and April 2010, in Russia and other
countries, without the express prior authorization of the FSFR. Such activity is a breach of the
ISU eligibility rules and results in the loss of eligibility.

The present decision communicated to both Mr E. Plushenko and the FSFR may be appealed to
the Court of Arbitration for Sport, Lausanne, Switzerland, within 21 days upon receipt of the
decision, in accordance with Article 25, paragraph 2, c) of the ISU Constitution.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Re: Evgeni has lost his eligibility.

Forever? He can ever skate again? I highly doubt they would bar him from Sochi if that is what he wanted.

sorcerer

Final Flight

I read the Russian Fed's website via google translation .... Why in the first place did Plush want to do such shows during the recovery period and when ISU was investigating like that?

It's quite shocking to know he had already been taken away his eligibilty having seen him show such good peformances and great showmanship in the DOI show.

gmyers

Record Breaker

I feel that this is about the hatred Plushenko evokes in many people.

This is really distressing news. Plushenko isn't my favorite skater in terms of style, but he's a tremendous skater, indisputably, and he's a huge asset to Russian skating, especially right now.

I don't know enough about the skating world to know whether there's any antagonism to Plushenko on the official level, but as a completely uninformed person, I can't imagine why any high-ranking people would want him out of skating. He is an audience draw, he is a wonderful representative of Russian skating, European skating, and indeed men's skating. I hope some well-informed forum members will be able to give us more information. The fact that he can be controversial is actually an advantage, because it attracts attention to the sport.

If his loss of eligibility was caused by non-sanctioned programs he took part in, then I have to wonder where his advisors were. Presumably he has at least a coach, and maybe even a manager. Wouldn't someone have alerted him that this wouldn't be a good idea for his future career?

So far the situation's just confusing, and I'd love to know more.

Poor Seniorita must be in mourning.

gmyers

Record Breaker

I want to know WHO provided the evidence that he did not have permission -so they say-from the Russian Federation!! Was it supporters of Piseev? Who was it? Was it Americans? I want to know WHO provided the "evidence" that he did not have permisssion and did he not get permission because he relentlessly bashed Piseev?

PolymerBob

Record Breaker

The ISU is angry. When a top skater does not show up at an ISU event, ticket sales, television viewership, and sponsorship money becomes less. I can see their point.
I’m not sure if the eligibility loss is permanent. The ISU will probably talk tough for a while to make sure other skaters get the message, then let Evgeni compete again in the future.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland

I feel that this is about the hatred Plushenko evokes in many people.

Well, the same ISU rules apply to Plushenko as to other skaters. He should have learned from his experience a few years ago, but maybe he has a very short memory? Plushenko´s skating in unsanctioned shows is definetely not the fault of ISU or RF. It is Plushenko who took the risk and now he is paying for it. He withdrew from Worlds because of an injury and skated in those shows instead.

Last edited:

gmyers

Record Breaker

Well it seems as if he did not get permission from the Russian Federation to withdraw from worlds and then skater in shows and then the Russian Federation went to the ISU to get Plushenko disqualified forever. Someone had to present the evidense to the ISU that said Plushenko did not have permission.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland

Someone had to present the evidense to the ISU that said Plushenko did not have permission.

It does not matter who noticed that he skated in unsanctioned shows. Plushenko is not any victim, it was his own fault to skate in those shows... He took the risk and nobody else.

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker

It does not matter who noticed that he skated in unsanctioned shows.
Actually, Jaana, as gmyers correctly noted, the problem was that Plushenko did not have permission to skate in those shows, not that the shows themselves were unsanctioned - or the list of ineligible skaters would have included Johnny Weir, Brian Joubert, Kavaguti/Smirnov, Mukhortova, Trankov, Volosozhar, Morozov, etc (Stephane having lost his eligibility prior to KoI, because of skating in On Thin Ice).

Too bad Plushenko didn't have a really good reason for skipping Worlds; so many other skaters managed it!

gmyers

Record Breaker

It's one of two things. Plushenko did not get permission and then an ally of his in the Russian federation went to the ISU to get him disqualifed so that he would not have to skate with his injuries and this would be his excuse to not be in Sochi OR it was an ally of Piseev who got an opponent of his disqualified by going to the ISU about it.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

or maybe the ISU is making him the example because of those skaters listed, Plushenko is the only one likely to return to competition with any real hope of success?

kiz_4Ever

On the Ice

I understood it was because after his retirement from worlds, ISU said he couldn't skate until the ISU itself had examined his medical condition (I suppose to look if it was a sufficient motivation to retire from world or so...), but he went to the show in St. Petersburg at the end of March...
:mad::rolleye:
still, it's so weird to read this news....:confused:
if I think how much he was admired until 2006, and how much he has been criticized this year, it really sound weird!!!
It's so sad that his career has to end for a ban like that...

gmyers

Record Breaker

The ISU wanted to examine Plushenko before Kings on Ice?

kiz_4Ever

On the Ice

..as far I understood, before giving him the permission to skate in show they wanted to check the medical documentation he sent when he retired from worlds..

seniorita

Record Breaker

No Im not mourning, actually i don't care he lost his eligibility, I dont care if he skates to competitions anymore, he is the same skater...on the other hand stupid comments from fs fans using him like a scape goat, that I care. But I m used to them as well.

This is the part of skating that I don't understand at all.

I'm glad you're okay with it, though, Seniorita. I thought we'd have to pick you up off the floor.

Does this turn of events mean that (assuming he doesn't regain eligibility) he'll skate in shows and other professional events? I don't know what the possibilities are in Europe, but presumably there are far more shows than in North America. And of course there's always Asia.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

All this ban means is he cant compete in international amatuer competition (worlds, grand prix, etc). He can do shows and (should scott hamilton or who ever be successful) pro competitions. He just wont be allowed to enter isu judged events.