Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Plushenko loses eligibility

The burr up Speedy's Butt! visaliakid's Avatar

Re: Evgeni has lost his eligibility.

Plushy has been to three Olympics with three medals to show for it. I think it is time for him to move entirely to the professional ranks to continue skating. For me, his sour grapes reaction to losing the Gold Medal in Vancouver and then belittling the winner by inferring Lysacek's win without a quad was nothing more than a woman's program. What an ***! I lost all respect for him even though he had been great for the sport up till then. Now I just want him to disappear! Buh bye!

Custom Title

Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    Rules are rules but the ISU totally went after to Plushenko to destroy him!
    If a skater wants to stay ISU eligible, he has to bend to the ISU rules, it is as simple as that! You cannot seriously expect Plushenko to be some exception to those ISU rules. ISU did not go after Plushenko to destroy him , Plushenko totally did it himself by not handling according to the ISU rules. Another matter is whether he was seeking for this outcome deliberately, perhaps?
    Last edited by Jaana; 06-29-2010 at 03:10 AM.

Custom Title

Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Presuming he cared. He knows the state of his own health and maybe he knows it's hugely unlikely for him to actually compete effectively in Sochi. What would the point be of going and ending up in eighth (or whatever).
    I agree with this. Plushenko knows that age and the condition of his legs/knees are working against him, as far as competitive skating goes. IMO, after getting through these Olympics and seeing the lay of the land, he decided that holding out until Sochi was a worthless endeavour, and he has no real reason to enter any other ISU competitions in the interim--what would be the point? He's been there, done that, bought all the T-shirts. In his shoes, I'd be moving on with my professional career and not losing any sleep over the howling of the ISU or for that matter, the Russian Fed.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    Plushenko totally did it himself by not handling according to the ISU rules. Another matter is whether he was seeking for this outcome deliberately, perhaps?
    Can someone find me the rules for all the violations? So we have learnt for drinking situation ban is for one year, for driving not carefully ban is for one year, but for going to a show ban is for life. What is the ban for doping? Going to the center of the Red Square and drop the athlete from the roof of the Happy Church?
    In their announcement ISU says according to evidence, but they dont say what evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by heyang View Post
    However, he then skated at events that occurred during the time period when he should've been preparing and/or competing at World's.
    Plushenko withdrew from Worlds at 18 of March and skated at KOI on 30-31, he didnt skate during Worlds, the show was after.

Custom Title

I know this sounds crazy and probably stupid but why can they let the pros and amateurs competing against each other?? Yeah, I know..if FIBA allowed the NBA players to participate at the Olympics, why can ISU make an exception? This sport is dying, it would have been cool to see Kwan, Lipinski etc. competing against Yuna, Mao, Mirai, etc. Of course it will depend if they can walk and healthy...

This isn't a tragic outcome, IMHO. Plushenko already has all of the medals and I think his professional earnings in Russia/Europe will probably be more reliable than most. I'll admit that I was never fond of his skating though he was a great jumper at his best. I do think his behavior in Vancouver and post-Olympics was childish and made me think less of him. The silver medal was a solid accomplishment given his comeback and the complete package he brought and there are a lot of skaters who would be happy forever with that result. I have the same feeling about how Fratianne and Sumners have acted about it. And in Plushenko's case, he already has a gold medal Olympic win that nobody disputes.

Plus, as Jaana says, he knew the rules. He is no newcomer.

The Zamboni Rocks!!! sillylionlove's Avatar
    East of the Pacific, West of the Atlantic, South of Canada and North of Mexico

So he withdrew from worlds because he was injured and then skated in show instead to make some money? I get the making money part...but if he was so injured that he could not skate at worlds then how was he able to skate in shows? I get the point of the ISU. It does say that he has 20 days to appeal to the Court of Arbitration of Sport. Let's see if he does that. I guess my gripe is that he knew the rules yet seem to break them. While I have never been a fan of Plushenko, my biggest problem with him is that he has a really big ego and sometimes comes off a little conceited.

Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    Can someone find me the rules for all the violations? So we have learnt for drinking situation ban is for one year, for driving not carefully ban is for one year, but for going to a show ban is for life. What is the ban for doping? Going to the center of the Red Square and drop the athlete from the roof of the Happy Church?
    In their announcement ISU says according to evidence, but they dont say what evidence.
    The ISU did not ban those skaters, their federations did. Just like Tonya Harding was not banned for life from competition by the ISU, just USFSA events (and since she was a skater in the US that pretty much meant she couldn't enter ISU events because she was no longer allowed to skate for the US).

My best guess is that he's on the outs with the Russian fed. The communique specifically mentions that his fed didn't approve his participation in said shows.

The only reason I can imagine them not giving their blessing is the Russian fed (and by 'Russian fed' I mean Piseev) is upset with him. I thought I read that he had supported Sikharulidze instead of Piseev's stooge so that could be part of it, Piseev certainly seems to be the kind to hold a grudge.....

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar

Anyway since Evgeni's character is not the topic, some things on topic:
    Some comments from other Russian officials or skaters including Gorshkov, Pissiev said he cant comment cause he is abroad.

And from Russian Commission on Sports Law Association of Lawyers (have no idea what exactly is this, it is from google)

Head of "Russian Commission on Sports Law Association of Lawyers", Sergei Alexeyev believes that in the case of dismissal Evgeni Plushenko of competitions under the auspices of the ISU there are personal reasons. According to lawyers, the Russian Federation of figure skating (FFKKR) intentionally failed to provide the International Skating Union (ISU) letter dated March 22, 2010, in which Valentin Piseev resolved Evgeny Plushenko to participate in the show "Kings of ice."

Custom Title

Quote Originally Posted by sillylionlove View Post
    So he withdrew from worlds because he was injured and then skated in show instead to make some money? I get the making money part...but if he was so injured that he could not skate at worlds then how was he able to skate in shows? I get the point of the ISU. It does say that he has 20 days to appeal to the Court of Arbitration of Sport. Let's see if he does that. I guess my gripe is that he knew the rules yet seem to break them. While I have never been a fan of Plushenko, my biggest problem with him is that he has a really big ego and sometimes comes off a little conceited.
    I'm not sure of the time frame, but I believe the show(s) that he skated in were almost two weeks after worlds.

Custom Title

The translation may have been off but I read that he is not going to appeal but rather get the iSU itself to reverse the ban?

Show skating is not like competition

A skater might do two triples and add more fun nuances as opposed to being required to do 7-8 triples, plus all those other requirements, in competition.

If I remember correctly the injury itself wasn't so severe. Just a toe injury I think, but since he couldn't do himself justice (not being able to do 4T) he decided to withdraw. He participated in a show in Stockholm 2nd of april, so the news about his injury before worlds were posted on the Swedish skatingfederation website, assuring that he would only be sick-listed for about 2 weeks and therefore not miss out on the shows. Apparantly things about that wasn't entirely cleared with the ISU or the Russian fed....

Rinkside

Quote Originally Posted by visaliakid View Post
    For me, his sour grapes reaction to losing the Gold Medal in Vancouver and then belittling the winner by inferring Lysacek's win without a quad was nothing more than a woman's program. What an ***! I lost all respect for him even though he had been great for the sport up till then. Now I just want him to disappear! Buh bye!
    I love you! Took the words from my mouth. Whoop!

What can I say, Karma's a *****! LOL

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast