Plushenko loses eligibility | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Plushenko loses eligibility

janetfan

Match Penalty
Why punish one of the most iconic skaters in history to begin with?
For who and for what??

It doesn't really matter if one is a big Plushy fan or not. People around the world still think of Michelle's Arabesque spiral and Plushy's mullet - OK, kidding - but Plushy's return last season was big news.

Why - because the name Plushenko = figure skating.

In an era when skating popularity is in decline in parts of the world why take the most decorated active skater in the world and make it hard for him to remain a contributor to a sport he has given so much to :think:

The "International Speedy Union" or the "International Schizophrenic Union" or whatever we might think to call it seems bewildering, paranoid, ungrateful and downright spiteful.
Control freaks without a clear vision to go forward are never good for any sport.

I like the Japan Open and it is a natural venue for skaters like Lambiel, Buttle and Plushy to help keep up and even raise the worldwide interest in figure skating.

I have no doubt that health permitting Plushy will be competing in Sochi. I also believe he has earned that right. :yes:

When push comes to shove (SLC Pairs) Speedy has shown he does not have the cojones to stand up to the Russians. :laugh:

If the Russian federation wants "Grandpa" skating at Sochi he will be there. :cool:

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
If the Russian federation wants "Grandpa" skating at Sochi he will be there. :cool:

If Plush gets eligible it will be by ISU rules jntfan, he doesnt need Speedy or any push. He has the right to ask to because it is written in their rules. Unless they change them next season :)
Although If Piseev doesnt want him there, I dont know, maybe he wont even apply. Putin is his fan though ( i m not sure if this is good but anyway...):eek:hwell:

janetfan

Match Penalty
If Plush gets eligible it will be by ISU rules jntfan, he doesnt need Speedy or any push. He has the right to ask to because it is written in their rules. Unless they change them next season :)
Although If Piseev doesnt want him there, I dont know, maybe he wont even apply. Putin is his fan though ( i m not sure if this is good but anyway...):eek:hwell:

If Putin is Plushy's fan then if better skaters emerge in Russia I suggest they watch their back :laugh:

Nadine

Record Breaker
All's I know is that Zhenya is good friends with Anton Sikharulidze (sp?), and even advocated for him to take over as Head of the Russian F.S. Federation or something like that, but in the end Anton declined the nomination due to personal reasons. Still, Anton does have a lot of political pull, as mentioned by Ellen in one of her posts, so I know if he can help in some way, he will do so on Evgeni's behalf. :) And it's always good to have Putin on one's side, lol, as well as being an Ambassador for the 2014 Sochi Olympics. We shall see...

seniorita

Record Breaker
I suggested once if Evgeni doesnt skate in Sochi to put him there as cheburashka, but nobody found my idea cute..:sheesh:

All's I know is that Zhenya is good friends with Anton Sikharulidze (sp?), and even advocated for him to take over as Head of the Russian F.S. Federation or something like that, but in the end Anton declined the nomination due to personal reasons.

Anton declined the nomination when he found out that the position of President of the federation was about to become a figurehead position only, with Piseev still in charge, pulling the strings from his new post.

Ellen

Rinkside
All's I know is that Zhenya is good friends with Anton Sikharulidze (sp?), and even advocated for him to take over as Head of the Russian F.S. Federation or something like that, but in the end Anton declined the nomination due to personal reasons. Still, Anton does have a lot of political pull, as mentioned by Ellen in one of her posts, so I know if he can help in some way, he will do so on Evgeni's behalf. :) And it's always good to have Putin on one's side, lol, as well as being an Ambassador for the 2014 Sochi Olympics. We shall see...

:) :)
I do not think that Putin will or did ever interfere in Figure Skating :) He has other problems to work on.
During the past Olympics, when the whole Russian team did not show best results (with 17 (if not mistaken) vexing 4th places, that could be bronze or other medals), we all in Russia were really upset. Not to mention total fiasco in hockey. And Evgeny's Silver medal so close to Gold was very disappointing. I guess, Putin just gave him some moral support, as Evgeny looked desperate, gave the emotional interviews, etc.

I have a feeling that if Evgeny Plyushenko really makes decision to compete in Sochi, ISU may allow him as an exception considering the fact that the Olympics will be in his home country, and his popularity in Russia.

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
ah I think from repeating it, i listen to my own echo:rolleye:
He doesnt need an exception or a favor, he has the right of reinstatement by ISU rule 103
A person who is or has been ineligible may apply for reinstatement as a
Skater only if such person had not violated Rule 102, paragraph 2 (ii) and (iii)
yes thats what I didnt get, all the press and russian people faced the silver as failure, and it might be one of the reasons Plush burst after, when it was not a failure for sure nobody got happy with it (says the one who became blue from crying:laugh: but since then I m happy:biggrin:)

let`s talk

Match Penalty
He will skate in ISU Japan Open on October 2nd. They are selling tickets, ad on TV and his pics are there. Cool!!!

ah I think from repeating it, i listen to my own echo:rolleye:
He doesnt need an exception or a favor, he has the right of reinstatement by ISU rule 103
yes thats what I didnt get, all the press and russian people faced the silver as failure, and it might be one of the reasons Plush burst after, when it was not a failure for sure nobody got happy with it (says the one who became blue from crying:laugh: but since then I m happy:biggrin:)

(I know how you feel, Seniorita, from Michelle in 1998.) When you look at what Plushenko did this season, coming back in at his age, after several years away, with a bad knee, and getting a score that was within 2 points of gold--that's a win all by itself. A couple of judges' decimal points here and there, and he would have been the winner. A guy like that deserves free entry into any Olympics from now on, but especially one in Russia. I'm glad there's Rule 103, though. No need to make a big fuss to get him back in. I'd love to see him compete again. (Though if everything is the way it is today, you know I'll be rooting for Takahashi! I ask your forgiveness in advance.)

janetfan

Match Penalty
I saw this over at Blazing Blades and it made me wonder - does Plushy have permission to skate at the Japan Open or is he daring Speedy to stop him? That doesn't make sense either because Speedy could get upset with the JSF for allowing Plushy to skate.
Is the Japan Open an ISU sanctioned event? If so, how can Plushy skate there?

I hope he does skate at the J.O. but this feels kind of vague to me.

http://ca.reuters.com/article/sportsNews/idCATRE6821I320100903

""I would like to skate in the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, that's my goal and my dream," the 27-year-old three-times world champion told reporters Friday.

"I'm going to compete in an ISU event in October in Japan. That's my first step and then you will see."

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Hmmm, what will we see? :think:

seniorita

Record Breaker
JO is a sactioned event of ISu. And they invite the skaters. Now if an Isu event invited him and then they say him , oh you shouldnt have skated there..I dunno..what to say?:sheesh:

fairly4

Medalist
i just thought eligibilty applied to competitive skating -not pro-am type competitive isu sanction skating.
evgeny could still skate in shows and pro-am event.
he just couldn't compete in gp events, worlds, nationals, olympics, europeans, nebelhorn trophy etc.
but pro-am like japan open he could. i just thought they way is all/

janetfan

Match Penalty
JO is a sactioned event of ISu. And they invite the skaters. Now if an Isu event invited him and then they say him , oh you shouldnt have skated there..I dunno..what to say?:sheesh:

Yes, that is the part that feels confusing. How can ISU ban him - and then allow an ISU federation member invite him to an ISU sanctioned event?

What do you think Plushy meant when he said, "that's my first step, and then you will see" ??

seniorita

Record Breaker
What do you think Plushy meant when he said, "that's my first step, and then you will see" ??
I really dont know, I m not such an expert to decode him:cool: I dont know how he said it to russian or something, i guess he means he has a plan of applying for eligibility? I dunno...

Can we open an Artistry on Ice thread ??There is so much to watch!!!
press conference vids (Joannie is sooo beautiful)

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/bdaoVdxA9Tk/

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/5-fZpbGBbJA/

dress rehearsal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P02WGEWL34Y:eek:

this will be my dream photo of all times, should be sent to Nasa to send it to a galaxy far far away :love::love::love:
http://s004.radikal.ru/i207/1009/81/341ce0dea21f.jpg

Oh, please, can we open such a thread? It would be wonderful. And we could incorporate it with stuff that we've been discussing about that great "skating with the stars" Russian TV program, Ice Age.

As for that photo you just linked to, I swoon with delight.

sorcerer

Final Flight
.....he just couldn't compete in gp events, worlds, nationals, olympics, europeans, nebelhorn trophy etc....
I'm pretty sure every Nationals is not sanctioned by ISU but sanctioned by each federation.
Nationals aren't ISU events needless to say, so Plush ought to be able to participate in Russian nationals anytime IIUnderstandC.

Nadine

Record Breaker
The other day I read on FSU that Evgeni had just recently gotten three tattoos. (8^o And then today I saw this photo of one of them (http://sports.sohu.com/20100903/n274693969_3.shtml). After recovering from the shock of recognition, I decided to search the 'net to find out just exactly what tattoos he had gotten, as I just naturally "assumed" they were three Olympic tattoos in honor of his competing in three Olympiads (thus far). But the picture totally threw me, and tada this is what I found:

Interjú részlet:
- Is it true that you made a tattoo in Japan ? You finally went for it? I remember you last year, saying that you want a tattoo like David Beckham.

- Yes, I did three tattoos in Japan. I wanted to make a tattoo for a very long time, but I did not know what kind of tattoo exactly I wanted. And then I decided. On one arm - the name of my wife written in Japanese characters, and on the other arm a Latin writing: "Viam supervadet vadens" (exact meaning: the path will be overcome by the one who walks it) I like this phrase very much, this is my motto for life. There was everything In my life - the ups and downs. So I decided, that it was this phrase, that should be one of my tattoos. And on the same hand I have a tattoo of cross with wings. Well, about the cross tattoo.... The meaning of it is that I must bear my cross in life, as a believer. I had them done by a very famous tattoo artist - he did tattoos for the group Metallica.

- Three tattoos at once? It's important to know when to stop.

- I think I'm gonna get more. All in good time.

Source: http://sgforum.hu/listazas.php3?azonosito=betti&id=1170675561

Zhenya, it's so good to know that you are a believer, as am I. :)

And you and your lovely wife are like two halves of a perfect whole. I'll always be grateful to her for being the impetus for your coming back in 2009/2010! *clapping*

Looking forward with great anticipation to watching you & Mao Asada competing in the Japan Open. :)^) ISU approved, of course. (;^)