Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Liberty competition July 13 to July 17

Custom Title

Re: Liberty competition

Quote Originally Posted by feraina View Post
    Nina didn't just gain height, she filled out into a more feminine body shape, too. She can pass for the same age as Caroline Zhang (just turned 17)! I'm Asian and I finished growing at 13 (I was 5'2 then, I'm 5'3 now; and I weigh the same). It might be good to get all the growth spurt out of the way early, then she can concentrate on improving her skating with her grown-up body. She's so young, it should be easier for her to adjust to her new body and keep improving than it would be for, say, Caroline, at 16/17. I still have high hopes for her.

If she can get used to her new body relatively quickly, like Anna Ocharova last year (she was also 13, totaled <120 at her first JGP, then did very well by the end of the season, even winning JW SP), then she could still do well this year.
    That's a good point. There are pictures of Nina and Mirai at nationals and they are very much the same size. Also, Anna Ovcharova is sort of the same way, she is also very young but even last season at 13 even though she was thin she had some curves and was more muscular and feminine looking than her teammates like Shelepen, Agafonova, Liza who are still all built like little boys. And she did improve a lot last season and judging from the looks of Anna now, she may be pretty much done with her growing. Nina may be the same way and if she doesn't change much physically from this point on, she may be able to have more steady progress than some other girls and be able to reestablish herself at the top. I mean, Christina Gao was 13th at regionals when she was Nina's age, I think Nina still has plenty of time.

Ashley tweeted this afternoon that she did not get hit with an edge call on her lutz for teh first time, she's seemed very happy with that news and said that "hard work paid off!" Congrats to her!

Custom Title

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    Ashley tweeted this afternoon that she did not get hit with an edge call on her lutz for teh first time, she's seemed very happy with that news and said that "hard work paid off!" Congrats to her!
    Thanks for the quote, and yay! I've been anxiously waiting ever since she wrote she had fixed it at the end of last season. I guess receiving no edge call in one local competition doesn't necessarily imply the same thing will keep happening to her the rest of the season, but still, she must know which side of the blade she took off on at the very moment of the lutz takeoff and she must be feeling great! Keep it up Ashley!

ETA: Thanks Sylvia, as always, for your pbps on twitter and also for the unseen forum, always so informative!

ETA: I noticed Ice Network had posted an article on the Senior ladies' SP:
    http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    Ashley and Ms. Hill overhauled her lutz technique from scratch so it says. Something I'm hoping Caroline and Mao have been doing as well...
    Last edited by champs; 07-17-2010 at 03:01 AM.

Ashley was awesome! I was also very impressed with Samantha Cesario (beautiful presentation), Joelle Forte (no surprise there), Melissa Bulanghagui (seen her many times at UDEL), and Felicia Zhang (who also does pairs with Taylor Toth (their "Miss Saigon" music stopped for a few minutes, but it was worth the wait to see them finish it).

For the men - Patrick was wonderful, even with a boot lace problem at the end. Ditto for Armin M. and Keegan. I really like Steven Carriere (always have). He looked so different. I almost didn't recognize him. Alexander Johnson was very enjoyable too. Ross Miner didn't skate his SP.I hope he's OK, and I wonder if he'll do his free skate this afternoon. Viktor Pfeiffer (Austria) is healing from a shoulder injury. I would have liked to see him again, as we enjoyed him very much at last year's Liberty Competition. I'm doing this from memory, and hope I didn't leave anyone out!

Custom Title

Quote Originally Posted by iluvtodd View Post
    Ashley was awesome!
    I went on YouTube, searched for "Ashley Wagner", then sorted by date hoping to find her skate from yesterday. This is what I got.

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...=17%2C22&uni=3

It looks like the fan war is still going strong. I just wish they would leave other skaters out of it.

Thanks for all reports from Liberty Seems like a great event for skaters on all levels. Some videos to come?

I am so happy for Ashley, my favorite US lady single skater. Love that she has worked hard fixing her lutz-edge problem How was her interpretation to the Led Zeppelin/Kashmir music?

Chan did the quad, wow ...

Proud Sarah Hughes Fan

Samantha Cesario won the Senior Group B FS

Custom Title

Quote Originally Posted by HCOSurfer View Post
    Samantha Cesario won the Senior Group B FS
    Yay ! I really like her, and apparently she landed a nice 3lo! I really hope she gets JGP assignments after this impressive skate, 99+ at the beginning of the season is a very good score!

Keegan Messing attempted a quad in the LP, he fell, but according to his interview after the SP by icenetwork he says he's landing them consistently in practice. good for him to be getting it out there NOW instead of waiting a few more years!

Patrick attempted the quad in his long program too but fell. However, he did his 3A 3T for the first time ever in competition!!!

This sounds like it has been a great warm up competition for Patrick - landing two firsts in one event is great! I hope that ends the talk that he does not take "risks" or does not try difficult elements in his programs

Can't wait to see videos!!

Custom Title

Re: Liberty competition July 13 to July 17

Junior ladies FS? Isn't that going on now? I see no tweets from Sylvia Updates?

Custom Title

Impressive skate by Angela Wang! 2A-3T, 3Lz-3T, 3F flip out, 3Lo, 3Lz off-bal.,
    2A-2T turn (no 2Lo), 3S off-bal. In 1st 53.51/40.94 = 94.45. From God Sylvia's tweet
    Just Wow! I knew she was great,but do not expect second 3T twice in a program,what a progress

It's not her program here,but may help you.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcEfErZnSjo
    2A-3T looks good,3Lz-3T clearly UR to me.

Custom Title

Quote Originally Posted by ayayukiituka View Post
    Impressive skate by Angela Wang! 2A-3T, 3Lz-3T, 3F flip out, 3Lo, 3Lz off-bal.,
    2A-2T turn (no 2Lo), 3S off-bal. In 1st 53.51/40.94 = 94.45. From God Sylvia's tweet
    Just Wow! I knew she was great,but do not expect second 3T twice in a program,what a progress

It's not her program here,but may help you.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcEfErZnSjo
    2A-3T looks good,3Lz-3T clearly UR to me.
    Any word on how the other girls faired? Jiang? Dinh? Etc. I don't see scores...

Custom Title

Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Any word on how the other girls faired? Jiang? Dinh? Etc. I don't see scores...
    I received it just now.
    Jr Ladies FS Final unofficial 2-5 after Wang: Daniels 81.41, N Jiang, 75.43, H Dunne 4th 73.95, L Dinh 5th 72.74. Waiting for full results

Custom Title

Quote Originally Posted by ayayukiituka View Post
    I received it just now.
    Jr Ladies FS Final unofficial 2-5 after Wang: Daniels 81.41, N Jiang, 75.43, H Dunne 4th 73.95, L Dinh 5th 72.74. Waiting for full results
    Thanks! Glad to see Nina do better, for early in the season, not a bad score, last year lots of girls on the JGP had FS scores in the mid 70s and still finished pretty high (4th-10th ish) in the standings. Likely she will get better as the season progresses. The 58 from before kind of scared me, but now I think she will be fine.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast