Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shawn Sawyer continues skating career

Tripping on the Podium

Thumbs up Shawn Sawyer continues skating career

But looks like he will be making changes.

I look forward to Mr. Madhatter. Great that he's doing his own coreography.

http://www.skatetoday.com/2010/06/30...kating-career/

Your thoughts. ;D

Re: Shawn Sawyer continues skating career

I for one am beyond thrilled. I love Shawn's skating and can't wait to see his new programs

This is unbelievably great!!

Custom Title

I admire Shawn's skating and would love to see him have a terrific season.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar

that sounds nice. I predict a breakthrough season for him.

Custom Title

I saw him at skate america last year and he is really charismatic and quite musical. He will be perfect as the mad hatter. I wonder if he will have A Tim Burtonesque look? Burton is always a bit dark...

Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    I predict a breakthrough season for him.
    Really??

He hasn't made the world team since 2006, has never had a consistent axel, and from the article it sounds that he is going to skate this coming season for his fans...

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar

Please Shawn..no red wig..

Quote Originally Posted by i love to skate View Post
    Really??

He hasn't made the world team since 2006, has never had a consistent axel, and from the article it sounds that he is going to skate this coming season for his fans...

Maybe with the pressure off, since he's skating for the fans, he'll kind of accidentally do better.

If he responds so much to what the fans want, and is willing to come back for us this year, maybe he'll be willing to stay until Sochi if we beg?

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar

When a skater skates for themselves they almost always skate better. I friend who was retiring from competitive skating at the age of 24 old me that her last season she skated for herself...and didn't care about the results.. She skated her best ever and made sectionals where she placed her highest ever.

Custom Title

that sounds nice. I predict a breakthrough season for him.
    I really enjoy watching Shawn skating but my belief is that the new rules, espeically the greater emphasis on difficut jumps, will hurt him compared to some of his close competitors at the national level. He has yet shown consistency on his Triple Axels though his quality of skating is very high and seems to be appreciated by the international judges more so than back home in Canada.

Custom Title

Really??

To be fair, Sawyer's likely competing for that third slot with Joey Russell and Jeremy Ten, so I could see it happening in an odd Nationals. Presuming that Chan and Reynolds go 1-2 and that my memory of Chipeur retiring is true.

When a skater skates for themselves they almost always skate better. I friend who was retiring from competitive skating at the age of 24 old me that her last season she skated for herself...and didn't care about the results.. She skated her best ever and made sectionals where she placed her highest ever.
    That is great to hear about your friend! With Shawn never having a consistent axel, it is going to be tough for him to finish higher than he ever has though. I don't think he will magically be able to land that jump consistently this season.

Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    To be fair, Sawyer's likely competing for that third slot with Joey Russell and Jeremy Ten, so I could see it happening in an odd Nationals. Presuming that Chan and Reynolds go 1-2 and that my memory of Chipeur retiring is true.
    Chan and Reynolds will go 1-2 most definitely. As for the third spot, if Jeremy skates like he did in 2009 rather than 2010, I think he will be able to lock that up quite nicely. To me, Shawn's skating seems to have regressed since 2006 and with the emphasis more on the jumps this year, it will be interesting to see how he does.

Custom Title

Chan and Reynolds will go 1-2 most definitely. As for the third spot, if Jeremy skates like he did in 2009 rather than 2010, I think he will be able to lock that up quite nicely. To me, Shawn's skating seems to have regressed since 2006 and with the emphasis more on the jumps this year, it will be interesting to see how he does.
    Another guy who will be in the mix for that third spot is Balde. I have heard reports that he is landing triple axels again after having his entire last season wiped out by injury. He did beat Kevin Reynolds at JW in 2009. A shame that he could not compete at all last season.

I would not be surprised if Balde gets the TBA Skate Canada slot.

Russell has never competed well internationally ( not even in the junior ranks) so he is probably a minor threat at most.

Personally I think Sawyer will get the 3rd spot for worlds with Ten and Balde his closest competition.

Quote Originally Posted by nadster View Post
    Another guy who will be in the mix for that third spot is Balde. I have heard reports that he is landing triple axels again after having his entire last season wiped out by injury. He did beat Kevin Reynolds at JW in 2009. A shame that he could not compete at all last season.

I would not be surprised if Balde gets the TBA Skate Canada slot.

Russell has never competed well internationally ( not even in the junior ranks) so he is probably a minor threat at most.

Personally I think Sawyer will get the 3rd spot for worlds with Ten and Balde his closest competition.
    I was actually going to start a thread today asking about Balde! I'm so thrilled that he will be back this season He has so much potential and is such an exciting skater! I think the third spot come down to Ten and Balde battling it out. I see Sawyer as a distant threat. Who knows though!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast