Shawn Sawyer continues skating career | Golden Skate

Shawn Sawyer continues skating career

Pikachuusb

On the Ice
I for one am beyond thrilled. I love Shawn's skating and can't wait to see his new programs :)

waxel

Final Flight
I admire Shawn's skating and would love to see him have a terrific season.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
that sounds nice. I predict a breakthrough season for him.

Ginask8s

On the Ice
I saw him at skate america last year and he is really charismatic and quite musical. He will be perfect as the mad hatter. I wonder if he will have A Tim Burtonesque look? Burton is always a bit dark...

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Really?? :confused:

He hasn't made the world team since 2006, has never had a consistent axel, and from the article it sounds that he is going to skate this coming season for his fans...

Maybe with the pressure off, since he's skating for the fans, he'll kind of accidentally do better.

If he responds so much to what the fans want, and is willing to come back for us this year, maybe he'll be willing to stay until Sochi if we beg? :laugh:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
When a skater skates for themselves they almost always skate better. I friend who was retiring from competitive skating at the age of 24 old me that her last season she skated for herself...and didn't care about the results.. She skated her best ever and made sectionals where she placed her highest ever.

wallylutz

Medalist
that sounds nice. I predict a breakthrough season for him.

I really enjoy watching Shawn skating but my belief is that the new rules, espeically the greater emphasis on difficut jumps, will hurt him compared to some of his close competitors at the national level. He has yet shown consistency on his Triple Axels though his quality of skating is very high and seems to be appreciated by the international judges more so than back home in Canada.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Really?? :confused:

He hasn't made the world team since 2006, has never had a consistent axel, and from the article it sounds that he is going to skate this coming season for his fans...

To be fair, Sawyer's likely competing for that third slot with Joey Russell and Jeremy Ten, so I could see it happening in an odd Nationals. Presuming that Chan and Reynolds go 1-2 and that my memory of Chipeur retiring is true.

i love to skate

Medalist
When a skater skates for themselves they almost always skate better. I friend who was retiring from competitive skating at the age of 24 old me that her last season she skated for herself...and didn't care about the results.. She skated her best ever and made sectionals where she placed her highest ever.

That is great to hear about your friend! With Shawn never having a consistent axel, it is going to be tough for him to finish higher than he ever has though. I don't think he will magically be able to land that jump consistently this season.

To be fair, Sawyer's likely competing for that third slot with Joey Russell and Jeremy Ten, so I could see it happening in an odd Nationals. Presuming that Chan and Reynolds go 1-2 and that my memory of Chipeur retiring is true.

Chan and Reynolds will go 1-2 most definitely. As for the third spot, if Jeremy skates like he did in 2009 rather than 2010, I think he will be able to lock that up quite nicely. To me, Shawn's skating seems to have regressed since 2006 and with the emphasis more on the jumps this year, it will be interesting to see how he does.

nadster

Final Flight
Chan and Reynolds will go 1-2 most definitely. As for the third spot, if Jeremy skates like he did in 2009 rather than 2010, I think he will be able to lock that up quite nicely. To me, Shawn's skating seems to have regressed since 2006 and with the emphasis more on the jumps this year, it will be interesting to see how he does.

Another guy who will be in the mix for that third spot is Balde. I have heard reports that he is landing triple axels again after having his entire last season wiped out by injury. He did beat Kevin Reynolds at JW in 2009. A shame that he could not compete at all last season.

I would not be surprised if Balde gets the TBA Skate Canada slot.

Russell has never competed well internationally ( not even in the junior ranks) so he is probably a minor threat at most.

Personally I think Sawyer will get the 3rd spot for worlds with Ten and Balde his closest competition.

i love to skate

Medalist
Another guy who will be in the mix for that third spot is Balde. I have heard reports that he is landing triple axels again after having his entire last season wiped out by injury. He did beat Kevin Reynolds at JW in 2009. A shame that he could not compete at all last season.

I would not be surprised if Balde gets the TBA Skate Canada slot.

Russell has never competed well internationally ( not even in the junior ranks) so he is probably a minor threat at most.

Personally I think Sawyer will get the 3rd spot for worlds with Ten and Balde his closest competition.

I was actually going to start a thread today asking about Balde! I'm so thrilled that he will be back this season :biggrin: He has so much potential and is such an exciting skater! I think the third spot come down to Ten and Balde battling it out. I see Sawyer as a distant threat. Who knows though!

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My dream Canadian mens' team would be: Shawn Sawyer, Joey Russell, and Jeremy Ten. They are by far the most interesting of all the Canadian men IMO and I think they are the most talented. However, I know Skate Canada would rather go down in flames than ever leave their beloved Patrick Chan off the world team, even if his level of skating gave them reason to do just that.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
My dream Canadian mens' team would be: Shawn Sawyer, Joey Russell, and Jeremy Ten. They are by far the most interesting of all the Canadian men IMO and I think they are the most talented. However, I know Skate Canada would rather go down in flames than ever leave their beloved Patrick Chan off the world team, even if his level of skating gave them reason to do just that.

Whoa....

i love to skate

Medalist

Really?? Not one of them even has a consistent axel. If those three were to go to Worlds together, we would most likely only end up with one spot for the next Worlds!

Why do you think Patrick is beloved? Because he has earned it! 3 Canadian titles and 2 World Silvers by the age of 19 is pretty darn impressive...

Wrlmy

Medalist
If you want to be honest about it, neither does Patrick.

That got me thinking, as I'm fan of both skaters. What makes Patrick so much better in terms of score than Shawn? Shawn has more than decent skating skill and just as many interesting transitions both of which happen to be Patrick's main forte.