Eliza Tukatmysheva triple axel | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Eliza Tukatmysheva triple axel

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
The girl looks very sharp. :yay:
Of course, we all have learned not to watch a skater who weighs 70 pounds and declare her the greatest thing since sliced bread.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Wally it looked to me that she more finished the jump with a nice flowing edge, than that she was finishing a revolution. Its hard to know and I'm not an expert. No, its not as good as Midori's but if everyone was compared to Midori, they almost all should stop jumping. Midori had unreal spring in her jumps. Elizaveta though is a lot younger than Midori (and she doesn't have things like wraps) Ito was not perfect. I thought that the jump had nice height and a very good controlled landing.

As for Elizaveta it is totally right that 13 is 13 and there is still puberty. Reports are that Mishin took a look at her parents before he took Elizaveta on, and well apparently both of her parents are short, (and I guess not that big either) so Elizaveta isn't expected to grow that much more, although you never now puberty is puberty.

The thing about Elizaveta though that makes her different from lets say a Zhang or a Meissner, is Elizaveta has very good technique on all of her jumps. Something neither of those girls had, Meissner if I recall had a tendency to muscle her jumps. It helps to that Eliza will only be what 17, when the Olympics comes around, so it may be that puberty won't even be completely there by then as well. :lol:

I think the fact that Eliza is doing the jumps correctly now, will help her with puberty. Talk is that Mishin is the type of coach who teaches jumps in away that involves exercises to prepare people to learn the jump etc...He tries to avoid all kinds of falls on jumps etc, and focuses on learning it correctly. He's also reportedly being very careful with her, when it comes to her training. Yes, she's trying things like triple axels, but the jumps she's doing are correct. Different from when a coach just allows a student to throw jumps anywhich way regardless of how they are done.

While Mishin is horrible at packaging his students, the fact that she has him teaching her the jumps is to her advantage (of course he has less experience with ladies, but I seem to recall that was by his choice). My only hope is though that someone else packages her, because Mishin is not good at that. Of course how much of Plushenko's choregraphic choices were Mishins and how much were Plushenko's is up for debate. Plushy was in many ways better there when he was younger.

Last edited:

miki88

Medalist
I do remember hearing Mishin say that she is the "gold medal" hope for Russia in 2014. I've seen videos of her skating and she does have a commanding presence on the ice even at her age. I think if she survives puberty, has the right package, and consistency (perhaps most important factor) this girl will become a strong contender in Sochi.

Last edited:

Lucky Star

Final Flight
While Mishin is horrible at packaging his students, the fact that she has him teaching her the jumps is to her advantage (of course he has less experience with ladies, but I seem to recall that was by his choice). My only hope is though that someone else packages her, because Mishin is not good at that.

But what's wrong with Liza's package? She doesn't have only jumps and nothing more, she also has good skating skills, speed, her spins and spirals are getting better, her programs and choreography are very good for 13 y.o., and I especially like her arms. I think she is in very good hands now. And it's not like Mishin is the only one who workes with her, no, she has at least one other coach, choreographer, off-ice coach, etc. I think they all did a good job with her. And take a look at other girls from Mishin's group, Darya Medvedeva, for example. She also has good programs and decent skating skills

bekalc

Record Breaker
Lucky

Packaging isn't necessarily about a skater's skills. Its about how the skills are put together. I.e the music choices, how the skater relates to the music, the program etc. There are some coaches that are very good technical coaches. Their students always have good basics ,decent spins, good jumps, good skating skills.

Then there are other coaches like Tarasova, who really aren't good at the technical stuff. I.e Tarasova's never coached a singles skater from the ground up. She didn't teach Yagudin how to do a quad. Yagudin had all of his skills when he came to her, but what she helped him with was packaging. And with Ilia strategizing.. Tarasova probably couldn't teach a student how to do a quad, but she could help a student with a quad have better choregraphy.

There is a room and place for both Mishin and Tarasovas. In reality the best thing would be for both to work together. I would say though that in a lot of ways I think the harder job of course is Mishin's. Easier to package students, I would suspect than to teach someone how to skate, how to jump.

Mishin never failed his students when it comes to their skills. Plushenko (had very good skating skills in his prime for his time) decent spins for 6.0, good jumps etc. He certainly didn't fail Yagudin, or Urmanov in that department either. Where perhaps Mishin wasn't the best at was giving his skaters programs that truly highlighted their skills. Although in fairness to him, it was always Urmanov's costumes more than his programs that bothered me.

My feelings are Plushenko was one of the most talented skaters ever... But I think the choregraphy left much to be desired. I think he could have been better if someone like Tarasova/Morosov as a team, or Lori Nichol, David Wilson was handling all the details of his choregraphy.

Eliza does seem to be much better packaged. Maybe Mishin's taste for females is different. Maybe the choregrapher is just better. At her age, the best thing for her though is to be with Mishin, because she should be focused right now on developing her skills and getting good technique. A skater should never go to a Tarasova if the skills, technique isn't already there and solid. I think Mishin's doing a good job with her now, and she should only leave if she's not improving in all areas.

Last edited:

pokky_oc

On the Ice
OMG!! OMG, OMG!! I think it's my first time screaming '' Oh MY GOD '' out loud after watching a skating video... WOW, can see do the triple axel in the short program? Well, yeah this 13 year old could be a real threat to the gold medal in 2014!! We'll be hopefully seeing lots of quads and triple axels in the next Olympics! But wow!! Very clean to me!!

:):):biggrin:

seniorita

Record Breaker
Actual leave aside Plushenko Mishin's team has a lot of choreographers and facial expression ones, including people from ballet academies etc. There was a german documentary , somewhere in google videos now, about russia team back in 2004 and had step by step how Tirbure to Nijinski was choreographed and you would see how they worked and at the process Mishin taking off one thing after the other! Choreographer was Yuri Smekalov -now working for Marinski Theater and the original choreo was marvelous! He has made also Gachinsky's Narcisus last season. I dont know if he has worked with Elisabetta yet but I wish he will, but I saw her in CoR and she is really a beauty to watch, has big versality in her programs, her ex was a tango I think and then I saw a Michael Jackson one. I love her!

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Re: Comparison

Beautiful jump. Her skating skills are also very impressive...and those will hold up during puberty.

dlgpffps

Final Flight
I'm with Bekalc on this. I wouldn't go so far as to crown her the next coming of Jesus, but I think she has very strong foundations (good technique). She doesn't jump with her ankles like most junior jumping beans do. She jumps just the way I like it: translating speed, momentum & torque into a massive jump. Very strong skater. I hope she can maintain and improve on her immense talent. If so, she could become the OGM contender of Sochi, with a full set of triples (most GOE-friendly) & a great 3A.

brownfox

On the Ice
Thanks miki and joy. I think Elza will most likely put the 3a in her program. So the ISU rule change may enot b just targeting one skater like so many ppl talked about.

She's 13 years old...in the next 4 years who knows. For now, the new rules is definitely targeted for 1 skater.

Last edited:

camion

On the Ice
Wow. Just incredibly impressed. That triple axel was fantastic!
The up-n-coming Russian girls are gonna be fierce!

rtureck

Final Flight
She's 13 years old...in the next 4 years who knows. For now, the new rules is definitely targeted for 1 skater.
Oh??? the same rules don't apply to juniors? I think even if she can not use the 3a in her sp as the requird axel jump, she can still put the triple axel as the solo triple jump in her sp, and she definitely can put the 3a in her lp. I also think the rule of rewarding rotations slightly less than 3.5 turns will apply to her tioo. She should be able to compete as a senior in 2 yrs. Anyway just thinking about the current here and now is IMO a bit short sighted, at least the ISU is thinking a bit long term. Actually I care more about the spiral part of the rule that it is optional, and I hope some skaters do delete the spiral sequence from their programs

Back to Elza, I heard Mishin has more pupils who are capable of 3a.

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
That was very impressive :), but I think we'll just have to wait and see how much her body changes in the coming years, she still looks so tiny and delicate out there. It's great that she's doing 3a at such a young age, looking at the clip, she doesn't have much speed going into it, but the jump is still nice and (seemingly) rotated. It will be interesting to see if the other Russian and American girls will be able to keep up with her in the coming season, or if Liza will dominate everything.

Meli_Huber

On the Ice
A friend of me saw her in the training camp. I was not able to speak a lot with my friend, so I have no other infos, but she told me, that Liza looks much taller than last year. (My friend also saw her last year in the training camp in Mittenwald)

I think, that the JGP will be really intressting. With all the young, talented girls, the Americans, the Japan Girls and the other talents from different countries, it will be a hard fight for the Final spots.
I don´t believe that Liza will dominate. In this young age it is normal that the confident is not allways there. And the other russian girls beat her at Junior Nationals last season. And of course, it is good for all the talents, that they don´t dominate and have to fight in every competition.
This year, it is the year, with the most promised skaters in the JGP since Mao and Yu-Na. Thats fantastic, and we all will have a lot of fun with these girls! :thumbsup:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
A friend of me saw her in the training camp. I was not able to speak a lot with my friend, so I have no other infos, but she told me, that Liza looks much taller than last year. (My friend also saw her last year in the training camp in Mittenwald)

I think, that the JGP will be really intressting. With all the young, talented girls, the Americans, the Japan Girls and the other talents from different countries, it will be a hard fight for the Final spots.
I don´t believe that Liza will dominate. In this young age it is normal that the confident is not allways there. And the other russian girls beat her at Junior Nationals last season. And of course, it is good for all the talents, that they don´t dominate and have to fight in every competition.
This year, it is the year, with the most promised skaters in the JGP since Mao and Yu-Na. Thats fantastic, and we all will have a lot of fun with these girls! :thumbsup:

Potentially, yes, but we'll have to wait and see which, if any, skaters are struggling with growing pains and/or nerves in the coming season. Liza and Adelina gave some fantastic performances last year, but also had a few meltdowns. Anything can happen, but even if these girls make lots of mistakes, the potential and moments of brilliance will still be visible in their performances.

Wrlmy

Medalist
Wow, that's impressive! But I will reserve my assessment as to how she compares to Mao, for Mao was landing one on pretty consistent basis at that age.

pokky_oc

On the Ice
My favourite Russian skater is actually Adelina Sotnikova who'll also be competing next season in the Junior Grand Prix! I want to see Junior girls breaking 180 mark next season since that's never really done before! The Junior record is still Mao Asada at the 2005 Junior World at 179.24!!

Junior Records

1. Mao Asada 179.24 ( 2005 Junior World Championship )
2. Yu-Na Kim 177.54 ( 2006 Junior World Championship )
3. Rachel Flatt 172.19 ( 2008 Junior World Championship )

There have been only three girls who broke 170 mark at the Junior level... And Mao Asada's the only girl who landed a triple axel at any Junior event!

I have a good feeling this season, skaters like Elizaveta and Adelina will start breaking 180 marks and even 190!! :eek::laugh:

lavender

Record Breaker
Polina Agafonova, Eliza T and Adelina Sotnikova are the ones to look out for. So far Adelina is my favorite but Eliza T has better jumps imo.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Polina Agafonova, Eliza T and Adelina Sotnikova are the ones to look out for. So far Adelina is my favorite but Eliza T has better jumps imo.

Don't forget Polina Shelepen and Anna Ovcharova! Polina S can do several different 3-3 combinations and Anna got a really big FS score at Russian Junior Nats and is working on 3-3s as well. Also, Roza Sheveleva was looking good at that last Russian Cup event in the spring.