ISU posts a copy of the type of Short Dance that will be used... | Golden Skate

ISU posts a copy of the type of Short Dance that will be used...

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
unfortunately, the sound is defective on their clip.

Back in 2009, we had a thread about this test skate, but at the time, we didn't know which of 3 formats would be chosen. The answer is that the short dance is the test skate combination dance.

Here's a link to the version with sound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBZgoUuQx_w

This dance was performed by Jane Summersett and Todd Gilles USA at the ISU Test Event Dance, Sesto San Giovanni, Italy in 2009. At the time, the dance was called a "combination Dance" rather than a short dance.

Two other couples performed a 'combination dance' at this event:

Kristina Gorshkova & Vitali Butikov RUS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOOItElEis8

and Lorenza Alessandrini and Simone Vaturi ITA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06SAYyM-be8

So do you like it or not, now that you have had a year to think about it?

Last edited:

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:think: I'm not jumping for joy over this... I was always a fan of the CDs , but if they must go , I suppose I'm glad that there will be the pattern somewhere in there as a tool for comparison.

I fear we're in for a lot of bad music cuts and choppy programs. Mind you , the best choreographers will probably be able to do something nice in spite of the format , but I don't feel at all confident about it in general. Judging from these examples ,and some others I saw on YouTube ... Meh.

I'm glad the pattern is to be repeated a second time for Juniors...

Last edited:

Mafke

Medalist
So do you like it or not, now that you have had a year to think about it?

zzzzzzzzzz

More seriously, it's hard to judge by one, we'll have to wait to see the frankendance in context (that is competition) before saying more.

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
unfortunately, the sound is defective on their clip.

Back in 2009, we had a thread about this test skate, but at the time, we didn't know which of 3 formats would be chosen. The answer is that the short dance is the test skate combination dance with the compulsory elements.

Here's a link to the version with sound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBZgoUuQx_w

This dance was performed by Jane Summersett and Todd Gilles USA at the ISU Test Event Dance, Sesto San Giovanni, Italy in 2009. At the time, the dance was called a "combination Dance" rather than a short dance.
The youtube-video is not the same as the one on ISUs website and the music is not in sync with the picture. Download the Windows Media or Quicktime files to see a video (w/music) of the short dance with the current compulsory elements.

Still I'd say, the short dance seems pretty boring. Hope it's just them...

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
zzzzzzzzzz

More seriously, it's hard to judge by one, we'll have to wait to see the frankendance in context (that is competition) before saying more.

That's awesome. I hereby decree that everyone should refer to the new short dance as the "frankendance."

wallylutz

Medalist
The format of the Short Dance is sound if one compares it to ballroom dancing. Couples are expected to change style/pace as soon as music changes, therefore, in that sense, the CD/OD combo is adequate. My concern is this format would limit the non-traditional type of creative dancing such as Davis/White's Bollywood OD, which proved to be a hit for a lot of loyal ice dance fans and as well as people who know almost nothing about figure skating.

I don't have any serious issue with this change but I want to see more freedom given to the teams to develop the creative portion of their dance with more types of music and styles available to them. It would be difficult to include ethnic music in a program unless it's ballroom related, which is rare. I hope the ISU addresses this aspect in the future.

Mafke

Medalist
I hereby decree that everyone should refer to the new short dance as the "frankendance."

I agree but I hasten to add that I did not originate the name. Someone at FSU came up with it. It does, however, seem to capture what no French speaker living or dead might call l'essence de l'affaire.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I suppose, if you wanted to do a folk dance SD, that the Cd part of it would be the Yankee Polka or the Killian.