Tugba Karademir announced her retirement | Golden Skate

Tugba Karademir announced her retirement

seniorita

Record Breaker
oh no, she got discouraged so much from worlds?
I liked this girl, and her sp program, her aura and style were so familiar to me and she was the closest neighbor I could root for! :(
I wish her good luck :)

I'm so sorry to hear this! Tugba is a delightful skater, and I'm always thrilled when a new country enters the competitive field. I know that Turkey isn't really involved in Tugba's efforts, but you never know how a single person will motivate an entire population. Just look at what happened in Korea.

I wish Tugba the best of luck at university. I wonder whether she's going in Turkey or in Canada.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'll miss her. I found her so likeable. Good luck with university, Tugba!

R.D.

Record Breaker
NBC was "generous" enough to warmly introduce her to the American audience in both 2006 and 2010.

Best of luck to her in the future.

camion

On the Ice
NBC was "generous" enough to warmly introduce her to the American audience in both 2006 and 2010.

Best of luck to her in the future.

What's up with the quotation marks? I'm genuinely curious so care to fill me in...

Thanks, Sylvia. Best of luck to her. Being able to represent your country twice at the Olympics is a great accomplishment. I wish her much success in her future endeavors.

Yeah, I would leave the quotes off the word generous. I understand that a network is a money-making operation, but the producers were extremely generous to give a non-top-six skater from an obscure skating country (to say the least) nationwide play during two Olympics. I'm sure they were looking for an interesting human interest story, but they didn't just whiz past Karademir: as I recall they showed both her short and long programs. Maybe some of the people who attended these events live would have noticed her and become fans, but the rest of us had no chance even to know who she was. We became fans solely from the network's presentation of her in Torino.

I hope she has a wonderful university experience and chooses a rewarding career. She's done her country and her sport proud with her perseverance.

R.D.

Record Breaker
What's up with the quotation marks? I'm genuinely curious so care to fill me in...

Because the networks always want to give people a reason to watch. The Olympics is all about these "human interest" stories to get people interested in the sport(s) and to get higher ratings.

That said, as evidenced in this thread, the fluff piece earned her many new American fans.

camion

On the Ice
I see and that's very true, Americans love stories of sacrifice, struggle, and comebacks; especially if it takes place in North America- it feeds our ego better. lol
Either way, I'm glad I saw the vignette feature on Tugba & her family at the time it was on ABC or NBC.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
it's disappointing, but not surprising. Good luck to her as she finishes her education.

I loved her SP last year. I think she does one spin better than anyone else. Unfortunately I don't know the name of it. Half-Bielmann? Champagne glass spin? And IMO her beautiful fluid way of moving is an inborn gift. I really enjoyed her skating. She has a lot to be proud of. All the best, Tugba!

gold12345

Medalist
Tugba should be very proud... She went to two Olympics and eight World Championships, representing a country with no history in figure skating. She's 25, so a retirement is not surprising. She didn't skate for the medals, she skated for the love of the sport. Good for her.

Skatetomusic

On the Ice
I'm saddened as well about her retirement. She did really well for Turkey and we can all hope that new skaters from her country shall follow in her footsteps. My favorite performance of her was in the long program at Calgary 2006. She listens to the music and she hit it in that program. I shall post it in just a moment.

icedancingnut31

On the Ice
http://www.tugbakarademir.org

she wrote in Turkish. i can't translate,but she says she lost her motivation,she wants to finish university etc...

:no: :cry:

Thank you Tugba,good luck for your new life :)

Where is the exact link to the article on the website you just gave? I have been studying Turkish for over 2 years so I can and will attempt to translate this. I love watching Tugba and this makes me kind of sad. I wish her the best of luck though!