Nebelhorn Trophy Info | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Nebelhorn Trophy Info

Binthere

On the Ice
So happy to see strong recoveries in the free dance from both teams that had surprising short dance problems. From the score sheets, looks like the free dance was a well skated event overall, in comparison to say pairs where there were lots of falls and missed elements.

Chaplin themes have become quite familiar but Nathalie and Fabian are such wonderful story tellers that I am actually really eager to see their version.

Nice strong debut for Maia and Alex's free dance. First time competing as seniors and they receive GOE of +3 from different judges for their lifts and twizzles. One zero, and all the rest +1, +2, +3. Individual component marks which go as high as several 8.5s and average out in the mid to high 7s! :) :eek:

http://www.deu-event.de/results/Nebelhorn_2010/

Please post videos from the ice dance and ladies events!

Last edited:

GiuliaPlum

On the Ice
many videos from the event are up on Fsvids,including Cappellini-Lanotte and Pechalat-Bourzat! yay!

KKonas

Medalist
Zhiganshina/Gaszi's SD to Cirque du Soleil
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKLeqwcD710

Well, Alla was the Tech Controller here. Apparently this couple did the 8 elements of the GW to her satisfaction of the requirements (all aspects of the requirements must be met to get a Level 4) but the judging panel didn't think they did it well. This was awful. The Short Dance will indeed be very short-lived if this is what we can look forward to in the overall ranking of the dancers in the SD.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
A perusal of the SD description in the ISU documentation shows that teams need to pay close attention to the following sections of the GW, because performing each of these step sequencess correctly, according to the guidelines, gives you one level:

The levels in the first section of the GW are based on:
1. Man's and Lady's steps 1 -4 (walk around three turns)
2. Man's step 15, cross behind followed by left forward inside edge, open Mohawk
3. Lady's step 15, cross behind followed by a left forward inside edge into a bracket
4. Lady's step 21, the Shoot the Duck and left forward outside three turn, ending with front coupees. The lady must have both her skating leg thigh and free leg "at least" parallel to the ice, straight and extended forward.

The levels in Section 2 of the GW are based on:

1. Man's steps 26a-2c, the part that includes the man doing a pivot and a spread eagle.
2. Lady's steps 30b (the twizzles & the layback position)
3. Both man & lady, steps 34-35, with the swing open Choctaw
4. Both man & lady, steps 39-40, which includes a left front inside Open Choctaw.

The requirements are very picky in the second section, generally about exactly prescribing the position in the layback & foot placement in the Choctaws. They also require you to hit the edges required, which I don't think is picky, but isn't necessarily easy.

They are also picky in the first section (which teams did better on), particularly where the lady has to have both her thigh and leg parallel (not just almost parallel, as in previous year's decriptions) to the ice in the shoot the duck step (step 21), so getting level 4 there is not a gimme.

I tried rewatching V&M's, F&S's, P&B's, and D&W's GW from Worlds last year, but the camera work was so bad, it was really hard to tell how their levels should be placed using this year's criteria.

I think teams need to pick the GW part of their music very, very carefully, so that it helps them as much as possible.

Getting level 4 in both segments gives you 14 points in base value. 6 points for the first section, 8 points for the second section.

Level 1 in the second section is only 3.5, Level2 is the lowest seen so far on the first section, and that's 4.0. So you are conceivably looking at 6.5 points difference there for the GW segments, if a team is not careful & accurate with them

That said, it's a compulsory dance. All the senior teams should be able to perform it correctly, so I am not in the least offended that highly ranked teams are getting dinged for doing it wrong. And it is consistent with COP that technical level is dependent on did you do the the thing correctly, and GOE is did you do it well? They are not the same things.

Here's Natalie's & Fabian's SD. They did section2 prior to section 1. (Section 2 is the section that got dinged on )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_uqh0_J93Y

While it is easy to spot the 1st section (about 1:35 to 2:12) the second section is not as clear. And I expect for sure they got dinged for the Lady's twizzle/layback step. Natalie kind of jumped her twizzles, and the layback wasn't all that stable. Perhaps Fabians toe pick didn't pick in properly in the spread eagle step. It's hard for me to tell. However, I'm not spotting anything all that wrong with either of the choctaw steps, so I can't tell you why they got level 1 rather than level2.

As to GOE, that applies to all the steps, not just the 8 sections included for tech level.

Last edited:

KKonas

Medalist
Have no problem with P&B not winning the SD as their performance was very sloppy (he appeared to slip at least 3 times) and looked relatively poorly trained compared to their FD. Think they were blindsided by the strictness of the new rules. But other than what the Germans were marked on the 8 elements, their overall program was awful IMO. In talking to many ice dancers and coaches recently regarding the new rules, almost all of them said they had in some ways to re-learn the GW because previously they were judged largely on the overall presentation more than exactness of the placement of foot or how parallel (45 degrees) the lady was to the ice in the shoot the duck move, etc. Also more power is in the hands of the Tech Controller in the SD because of the amount of points won or lost iin these 8 elements. I am not a proponent of the SD because I think very few teams will be able to mesh a strict CD with another rhythm and make it entertaining to the public, which also means TV is unlikely to cover it. The Italian team here did a pretty good job and duly won the SD but their two rhythms are not so different. The ISU also does not have a good number of CDs that are either interesting or difficult enough to use for more than a couple of years.

KKonas

Medalist
Have no problem with P&B not winning the SD as their performance was very sloppy (he appeared to slip at least 3 times) and looked relatively poorly trained compared to their FD. Think they were blindsided by the strictness of the new rules. But other than what the Germans were marked on the 8 elements, their overall program was awful IMO. In talking to many ice dancers and coaches recently regarding the new rules, almost all of them said they had in some ways to re-learn the GW because previously they were judged largely on the overall presentation more than exactness of the placement of foot or how parallel (45 degrees) the lady was to the ice in the shoot the duck move, etc. Also more power is in the hands of the Tech Controller in the SD because of the amount of points won or lost iin these 8 elements. I am not a proponent of the SD because I think very few teams will be able to mesh a strict CD with another rhythm and make it entertaining to the public, which also means TV is unlikely to cover it. The Italian team here did a pretty good job and duly won the SD but their two rhythms are not so different. The ISU also does not have a good number of CDs that are either interesting or difficult enough to use for more than a couple of years.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Then they will repeat.
I'm expecting to see the Tango Romantica, the Yankee Polka, and hoping for the introduction of the Rhumba d'Amour. Perhaps they will use the Midnight Blues as well. If so, that's 5, including the GW, that they can use in rotation while they think of what to do in other years.

I totally agree with you about teams having to relearn parts of the GW-however, if you are going to have a compulsory, it should be how it is performed that is compulsory, very like compulsory dives, for example, IMO. And teams can't say they were blind sided exactly--it was explicit in the rules.

Sinicyn was able to read the rules, and hence his teams, Z&G and M&N, scored quite well in the GW segments. Other coaches and teams with more talent could certainly have done the same.

Last edited:

SamuraiKike

Medalist
Thanks so much Doris for such a delightful post about what to look for in the Golden Waltz patterns now in the Short dance. I agree it's great that technique in the steps has received a big push in the judging. This should have been done from the beginning of COP.

That being said.. I dont think the patters are working quite well within the overall presentationof the SD, they consume soo much time and Im always thinking: "Get over with it soon so I can see your choreo and what your program really looks like" but there's hardly any time to do anything.

I also think this new format is failing at its main goal which was to make Ice Dance easier to follow for TV audiences. The fun and originality of, well, the Original Dance is sadly gone.

Last edited:

KKonas

Medalist
Then they will repeat.
I'm expecting to see the Tango Romantica, the Yankee Polka, and hoping for the introduction of the Rhumba d'Amour. Perhaps they will use the Midnight Blues as well. If so, that's 5, including the GW, that they can use in rotation while they think of what to do in other years.

You may be the only person to want to see the Yankee Polka again - one Kilian hold after another. The ISU already tanked T&D's rhumba. It's 1 1/2 pattern would take almost the entire SD so they would have to totally re-choreograph it. The Midnight Blues has too many toe steps and stops.

I totally agree with you about teams having to relearn parts of the GW-however, if you are going to have a compulsory, it should be how it is performed that is compulsory, very like compulsory dives, for example, IMO. And teams can't say they were blind sided exactly--it was explicit in the rules.

But other than the GW and Tango Romantica, most of the other Senior dances are pretty boring or not difficult enough. So they repeat GW and TR over and over? Talk about limiting creativity. I give the SD 2 years to go back to the OD.

Sinicyn was able to read the rules, and hence his teams, Z&G and M&N, scored quite well in the GW segments. Other coaches and teams with more talent could certainly have done the same.

Not saying dancers/coaches can't read rules, just saying that P&B just didn't realize how strict the controller would be re rules. After all the same thing happened at Lake Placid but our skaters were warned.

Last edited by a moderator:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
While P&B may not have realized how strict the controller would be, nonetheless their coach should have realized it. Fortunately, they found out in a non GP event.

There is no reason the R d'A (one repetition only, not 1 1/2 repetitions) wouldn't work in the SD format-just make the SD a little longer than this year, leaving the creative segment the same length as this year. That would give you a Latin OD.

And while you find the YP boring, I think it would be fine if the teams could pick their own music, it's limited to one repetition, and its paired with a non polka rhythm, so the teams have the option of doing a non-folk section. It certainly would be no worse than the Viennese waltz they are using in Jrs this year. Polka/waltz worked quite well for the 2003 OD's (check Winkler/Lohse's OD). That way some of the SD's would be "grand ballroom" type, and some folk dances, which would be a decent variety.

While not a fan of the tango, the TR will be fine.

It would be nice to have a blues based SD, just for the variety of rhythms, year over year.

I think the Midnight would be OK, given the freedom of choice of music for the SD format. Here's N&K's winning MN CD from Worlds 2004:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDyb-fM61Ns

The music the committee chose for the MN is relatively awful, but there is a lot of great blues music out there.

Last edited: