Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Johnny Weir Not Skating this season

Johnny Weir Not Skating this season

not shocking but, figureskatersonline.com and the usfsa are reporting that Johnny has announced that he wont be competing in the coming skating season.
    Last edited by Tonichelle; 07-08-2010 at 01:25 PM.

Re: Johnny Weir Not Skating this season

Johnny announced he is taking the upcoming season off to reinvent himself as an athlete and artist. Wish him all the best. Its just my opinion but I don't think he will compete as an eligible again.

Hopefully he can find something with a surer return on investment....

Quote Originally Posted by MFarone View Post
    Johnny announced he is taking the upcoming season off to reinvent himself as an athlete and artist. Wish him all the best. Its just my opinion but I don't think he will compete as an eligible again.
    i agree. I just dont see him coming back.

Custom Title

Perhaps a year "off" will do him good, to see if he still has the desire and will to continue toward 2014. It will be diificult to remain in elite athlete shape however.
    Good luck to you Johnny. I have enjoyed your skating, I hope you find what you are looking for.

Custom Title

I thought that if Sundance picked his show up and wanted him to skate again, he might continue. Otherwise, as much as it pains me to say so, it might be time to move on. There are many more good things to come for Johnny Weir.

I don't think he'll ever be back to amateur skating again, unless he pulls a Plushenko/Lambiel and comes back for Sochi.

Custom Title

As I have written several times before, it appears that very few skating careers end on a totally happy note. Regardless, I wish Johnny the best of luck and good fortune in all his future endeavors.
    And if he wants to compete again, that would be great too.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PolymerBob View Post
    As I have written several times before, it appears that very few skating careers end on a totally happy note. Regardless, I wish Johnny the best of luck and good fortune in all his future endeavors.
    And if he wants to compete again, that would be great too.
    Well, I'm not happy. I feel like there's something in Johnny just waiting to be brought out by a really great program. He's been working with inferior material lately IMHO (in his comp programs). He's been fighting the CoP system and even the judges for a while; that's not the sign of someone who's determined to succeed. I think his defeat in the Evan-Johnny wars has been hard to swallow.

But if he's able to do something interesting as a pro, then I'll be happy. All power to him!

i think it is johnnys attitude far more than his programs that hold him back. His natural/God-given talent shot him up the ladder where others had to work harder. Then he plateaued(seemingly) and the others (like Evan) kept working to catch him. Instead of focussing his energy at staying ahead of them johnny worked on his persona and other outside interests. Then when others beat him he blamed the big bad usfsa or judging system... Then thumbed his nose at both instead of working to prove them wrong.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar

That's an incorrect analysis of Johnny's career.

Johnny hit a slump but then he absolutely focused on being competitive and worked hard during the 2007-2008 season. He went to Nationals, skated great, and was ROBBED.

He blames the judging system because it has sucked a lot of the artistry out of the sport and he is absolutely correct to make that criticism. He blames USFSA because they are full of conservative blowhards who have been prejudiced towards him, another valid criticism. Aside from the unfair marking at 2008 Nationals, they also didn't give him the benefit of the doubt in 2009 when he was recovering from sickness. He was the ONLY American to get a medal at the previous World Championships and he made the Grand Prix Final (and got a medal) that season. He shouldn't have had to compete at Nationals to secure his place on the World team.

But, instead, USFSA sent him the message that he would likely not get a bye if he didn't compete. They gave Belbin+Agosto a bye (who DIDN'T medal at the previous Worlds or at the GPF that season), however. As a result of not being allowed to compete at 2009 Worlds, Johnny lost a lot of momentum.

His 2009-2010 season should have been focused on upping the difficulty of his program, putting the Quad in and getting it consistent. Instead, he was worried about simply making the Olympic team. Perhaps he could have tried harder but, regardless, he was definitely not properly valued by USFSA.

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    That's an incorrect analysis of Johnny's career.

Johnny hit a slump but then he absolutely focused on being competitive and worked hard during the 2007-2008 season. He went to Nationals, skated great, and was ROBBED.

He blames the judging system because it has sucked a lot of the artistry out of the sport and he is absolutely correct to make that criticism. He blames USFSA because they are full of conservative blowhards who have been prejudiced towards him, another valid criticism. Aside from the unfair marking at 2008 Nationals, they also didn't give him the benefit of the doubt in 2009 when he was recovering from sickness. He was the ONLY American to get a medal at the previous World Championships and he made the Grand Prix Final (and got a medal) that season. He shouldn't have had to compete at Nationals to secure his place on the World team.

But, instead, USFSA sent him the message that he would likely not get a bye if he didn't compete. They gave Belbin+Agosto a bye (who DIDN'T medal at the previous Worlds or at the GPF that season), however. As a result of not being allowed to compete at 2009 Worlds, Johnny lost a lot of momentum.

His 2009-2010 season should have been focused on upping the difficulty of his program, putting the Quad in and getting it consistent. Instead, he was worried about simply making the Olympic team. Perhaps he could have tried harder but, regardless, he was definitely not properly valued by USFSA.
    Don't forget the big slap in the face by the judging panel at this year's Nationals in the SP putting a clean Weir behind Lysacek's flawed 3Axel. I have to say though that once a skater makes the decision to participate in a competition, then his/her performances in said competition have to determine the skater's outcome, not past performances/successes. If Johnny wasn't ready to compete in 2009, then he should have withdrawn and petitioned for a World team spot the way that Belbin/Agosto did.
    Last edited by museksk8r; 07-08-2010 at 10:06 PM.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    If Johnny wasn't ready to compete in 2009, then he should have withdrawn and petitioned for a World team spot the way that Belbin/Agosto did.
    He couldn't. Insiders told him that he would be denied a spot on the team, unless the #3 skater at Nationals skated absolutely terrible.

Custom Title

Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    He's been working with inferior material lately IMHO (in his comp programs).
    Weir had David Wilson choreography in this season, which is considered to be excellent pointwise. His final freeskate programme did not resemble a Wilson choreography anymore... I think the reason is that Weir just is not capable of skating to a good CoP-programme including transitions, etc. Any skater who wants to place well, needs to perform to a good CoP programme (unless you are somebody with Plushenko´s achievements, LOL).

Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    He's been fighting the CoP system and even the judges for a while; that's not the sign of someone who's determined to succeed. I think his defeat in the Evan-Johnny wars has been hard to swallow.
    I can understand it well, that Weir´s defeat to Lysacek in every major international competition, where they both have competed, must have been hard to swallow. On the other hand it should have made Weir to work harder, IMO, but my impression is that he just gave up and started to blame CoP-system, judges, USFSA, etc.

To put it bluntly, it was really stupid that Weir decided to participate in that show in Korea just before 2009 US Nationals and got sick.... I can fully understand, if he was not given any help in US Nationals because of that stupidity. If he had been well, he surely would have placed among top three. In my opinion it does not matter where you place in Nationals, as long you are among those who get sent to major competitions:

Lysacek was third in 2009 US Nationals, but he won the 2009 Worlds. In 2010 US Nationals Lysacek was second, but he won the Olympics. That´s how an ambitious athlete with self-discipline works things out...
    Last edited by Jaana; 07-09-2010 at 04:38 AM.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar

I just wonder what exactly the new season of "be good Johnny Weir"'will be like with no slating, no Russian coaches, no competitions etc. The life of a 26 year old going on 14 isn't exactly going to draw the ratings.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast