Some questions about being a femaile Pairs skater | Golden Skate

Some questions about being a femaile Pairs skater

pet_lover48

Spectator
Hi! I'm interested in possibly being a pairs skater. I'm 16 (a girl) and a strong singles skater. 2 pairs teams practise at the rink that I train at, but I still had a few questions.

Firstly, any overall comments, thoughts, about being and doing pairs would be great, (especially from current, or previous pairs skaters would be super.) What do you think of it? Do you recommend it? The pros and cons? Also, anything else you can think of.

Also, if anyone could maybe answer any of these specific questions, that would be super too. :)

- Is it difficult to get along/communicate with your partner sometimes?

- Is learning the pairs elements difficult (ie. lifts, throws, twists, pairs spins, side by side stuff, etc.), even if you are already a strong singles skater? I mean I know learning them and mastering them takes time and practise, just like anything else, but does it takes as long as let's say getting a double axel (which takes most a while)?

- How do you know what to work on with your partner when not in a lesson? How do you work it out between you and your partner?

- Is it scary (for the girl) to do lifts, twists, throws, etc. even when you trust your partner pretty well, or is it just a little scary the first few times you do it and then you get used to it?

Anyways, all comments/answers/thoughts/replies Greatly appreciated. :biggrin: I will follow the thread and make sure to read all responses and will reply too, (ie. your response won't be for nothing.)
Thanks,
Kaylee
(Pet_lover48)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Re: Some questions about being a Pairs Skater (in terms of being the girl)

I hope someone answers you! It will make interesting reading.

If you're not a small person, being a pair girl can be difficult. (And I'm talking both height and weight)

The SBS jumps are not as easy as you might think for a strong singles skater, because you and your partner need to exactly match your timing for good GOE. These days, to be top level, you should have 2A, 3T, and 3S.

pet_lover48

Spectator

Hi! Yes, I hope someone replies too!

Well, as far as size, I am pretty small for 16. I am about 5 foot 4 inches tall and weigh around 110 lbs. I also have a tiny build.

I was actually always just about the shortest and smallest in my grade up until about the last year and a half ago, when I had a growth spurt. I am still small and look pretty tiny (weight and build wise), but I'm taller.

(Forgot to mention, my assistant coach also coaches pairs and has had lots of successful teams in the past and there is pairs only practise ice at my rink.)

Anyways, really hoping someone will reply. There must be someone out there? :)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States

Have you looked on ice partner search for a partner?

http://icepartnersearch.com/

And have you put an entry there, or did you want to talk to someone other than your coach about pairs first?

And have you considered dance? 5'4" is a nice height for a dancer, and you may grow taller yet. It's at the high end for pairs.

Last edited:

pet_lover48

Spectator

Hi! Thanks for the info. Yes, I'm not too interested in doing dance at this point. I still like to jump and spin and stuff and even if I do pairs, I would still continue to do singles too. Yes, I know I'm a bit on the tall side for pairs, but I don't think I'll be getting much taller and I'll am still small enough (weight and build) wise to do it, I think.

I am also the strongest girl at my rink (jump wise and overall skating wise.) The only others are the 2 boys.

Yes, I have checked that site. However, I haven't listed myself on it because I might be able to partner eventually with a boy at my rink that my assistant coach, coaches. He was doing pairs until the end of May, but his partner, was unfortunately injured. So, she hasn't skated now for about a month and a half and then won't be ablt to jump for another 2 weeks when she gets back, so it's up in the air whether she'll even continue doing pairs.

However, (personally) I believe she wasn't strong enough (singly and jump wise) to be doing pairs with this boy anyways. He has a good, clean and pretty consistent double axel and is landing 3S and 3T's too. His partner, however, could only do to about a 1A, 2S and possibly a 2T, or so.

I skate the boy quite a bit too. We are at the same level, so are on the same sessions and I have a few group lessons with him (since we have the same coach and stuff.)

Anyways, that would so cool if I could get to do pairs with him, but it's really all based on what happens with his current partner. Either way, I'd still at least like to try pairs, even if it was just for a little bit/a few times. I'd like to know what's it's like and get to experience it.
Thanks,
Kaylee
(pet_lover48)
PS: Some more replies from others would still be greatly appreciated. Any tips, or comments, or answers to any of my questions would be super. :)

pet_lover48

Spectator

Still no other replies/responses?

There must be someone out there?

All replies will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Kaylee
(pet_lover48)

sfahrut

Spectator

For some it may be easy. Look at Felicia Zang - she is strong singles skater and she picked up pairs skills in literally several months with partner Taylor Toth and I think they are Pairs National Junior Champions. There was article about them - look up online. Good inspiration.

pet_lover48

Spectator

For some it may be easy. Look at Felicia Zang - she is strong singles skater and she picked up pairs skills in literally several months with partner Taylor Toth and I think they are Pairs National Junior Champions. There was article about them - look up online. Good inspiration.

Hi! Thanks for the info. I looked them up and watched a couple videos on Youtube of them too. I wasn't aware of that and it's definately very inspiring knowing how quick Felicia progressed so quickly to that level and then on top of that, to win the junior nationals too is amazing! I mean I'd still be happy even if I didn't quite progress that fast, but to learn everything that quick would be amazing! :)
Thanks again,
Kaylee
(Pet_lover48)
PS: I guess now it's just working out actually at least trying pairs. I'd like to at least do that. I think I could probably work it out with my coach (who coaches pairs too) to have me try some off-ice lifts and possibly some on-ice stuff with her pairs boy. :biggrin: