Sasha & Rockne??? | Golden Skate

Sasha & Rockne???

NYscorp6

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I noticed on FSU and AJ's blog speculation that Sasha had a try out skating pairs with Rockne. I have no idea if this is true or not.

While I realize this is a long shot, thinking of the possiblity of Sasha Cohen and Rockne Brubaker brought back memories of SOI 2008:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KexhyMA5kI

I must say it appears the lifts would not be a problem.
(John Zimmerman would work as well as Rockne).

Sasha, Rockne and Mr. Nicks? Perhaps................

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
There has been quite a bit of argu..... um ...... I mean discussion about Sasha skating pairs with Rockne. Sasha is certainly small enough and light enough.

i love to skate

Medalist
There has been quite a bit of argu..... um ...... I mean discussion about Sasha skating pairs with Rockne. Sasha is certainly small enough and light enough.

The big question, IMO is if she is strong enough. Female pairs skaters are tough as nails and I am not sure if Sasha has enough strength and stability to perform some of the elements such as throws and twists. Hasn't she had serious back problems in the past? Couple that with her tendinitis she had last year it really doesn't seem plausible to me. I really can't see her picking up pairs at almost 26 either...

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
It would be a superstar coupling were it to happen. I think Sasha should go for it. What else is she going to do with her life right now? Acting isn't going to happen and I doubt she can be competitive in singles. Learning twists and throw jumps and lifts is probably easier for her than having to do the difficult Triple jumps in singles. The competition in American pairs isn't too high right now either.

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
She would have at least the jumps down being a 2006 Olympic Silver Medalist in Ladies and imagine the lifts they can do with her flexibility. I will pee my pants if this happens lol. I miss her skating competitively

gold12345

Medalist
This has also been discussed a bit on this board in this thread...

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?32402-Mclaughlin-Brubaker-Split/page7

I don't think a Sasha switch to pairs at her age and with her injury history would be very realistic, especially since Rockne would be interested in a partner who could stick it out for at least 4 more years. However, there probably isn't much selection out there as far as a high level partner goes.

Aside from having to learn throws and other difficult skills, Sasha would have to be able and willing train seriously for the long-term, which she of course hasn't done since 2006. Interesting idea, but how realistic is it? Pairs is harder than it seems, even for a singles skater like Sasha Cohen. She really would need to get stronger and put on a little weight, because she seemed too frail to land jumps securely at Nationals... never mind throws she's never done before. It may be wishful thinking on Nicks's part more than anything.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think if Yuka Sato can learn how to skate pairs in her elderly years :rolleyes: that it isn't a stretch to think Sasha could as well.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I expect to see Sasha fall on the throws, be gorgeous on the lifts, and have problems with timing in the SBS jumps, but probably land them. The 3S is one of her best jumps, which is a real plus.

Pairs is not as easy as it looks, but I think it is easier for the lady to start later than the man. This is why you have Isabelle Brasseur doing well almost immediately with Lloyd Eisler.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I would love to see Sasha competing again, but whether it happens, remains to be seen, LOL. I have always had the feeling that Sasha suffers from not having a totally right attitude towards competing.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I would love to see Sasha competing again, but whether it happens, remains to be seen, LOL. I have always had the feeling that Sasha suffers from not having a totally right attitude towards competing.

It's like she wants to compete, but doesn't have enough discipline in her training/doesn't take it seriously enough (training that is).

i love to skate

Medalist
I think if Yuka Sato can learn how to skate pairs in her elderly years :rolleyes: that it isn't a stretch to think Sasha could as well.

Yuka has an ideal body type and skating style to do pairs. A strong back, grounded skating, and solid jumps. Sasha did not look very good at US Nats this year and she also looked very frail (and much too skinny). I too find it hard to believe that she would train for a solid four years to make it 2014...

Pairs is not as easy as it looks, but I think it is easier for the lady to start later than the man. This is why you have Isabelle Brasseur doing well almost immediately with Lloyd Eisler.

Huh??:confused: Isabelle started skating with Lloyd at the age of 17...

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Before that she was a rather unsuccessful single skater who pretty much couldn't land a double axel. They were immediately on the Canadian World team. It isn't Isabelle's age that I found surprising, it's her lack of experience. It didn't & doesn't require 4 years to get it together in pairs if the man is a good pair skater.

i love to skate

Medalist
Before that she was a rather unsuccessful single skater who pretty much couldn't land a double axel. They were immediately on the Canadian World team. It isn't Isabelle's age that I found surprising, it's her lack of experience. It didn't & doesn't require 4 years to get it together in pairs if the man is a good pair skater.

Can you be unsuccessful at the age of 16? :confused: Isabelle was made for pairs skating and picking it up at the age of 17 is much different than picking it up in your mid twenties - I really don't think you can compare the two. At seventeen it is much easier to break habits and you are fearless. It also wasn't until B/E's third World Championship that they ended up on the podium though - so success is not immediate.

ETA:
Isabelle had a partner before Lloyd as is show in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfVfAJA3T7c

So she obviously picked up pairs before the age of 17 as we thought :)

Last edited:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would love to see Sasha competing again. Who knows she could be the American Xhue Shen.

NYscorp6

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I would love to see Sasha competing again. Who knows she could be the American Xhue Shen.

I'm in agreement. It is possible that her 2010 attempt to return ignited that competetive fire in her, I saw it in her eyes after her SP. Perhaps she missed the adulation. She has a star quality that is good for the sport.

Wrlmy

Medalist
Sasha is petite enough for Rockne, and she's got requisite flexibility and some solid jumps. But I'm not sure her overall skating and on-ice persona are compatible with his. As skeptical as I am, as mentioned earlier, this would be a superstar matchup and might as well do wonders for the sport.

I confess I'd love to see Sasha give this a try. We'd have the chance to see her again competitively, and she'd bring a lot of character and artistry to pairs skating. Right now there isn't a plethora of American pairs who could give her a run for her money, so she has a good chance of doing well, if her particular weaknesses don't get in her way.

That video of her being "partnered" by the guys of Stars on Ice is breathtaking. It's as if she's made of pipe cleaners!