LA TIMES: U.S. Olympic athletes owe a debt to George Steinbrenner (Michelle Kwan) | Golden Skate

LA TIMES: U.S. Olympic athletes owe a debt to George Steinbrenner (Michelle Kwan)

aftertherain

Record Breaker
LA TIMES: U.S. Olympic athletes owe a debt to George Steinbrenner (Michelle Kwan)

Link: http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jul/13/sports/la-sp-0714-steinbrenner-olympics-20100714

U.S. Olympic athletes owe a debt to George Steinbrenner

He gave money to Michelle Kwan, provided financial security for Ron Karnaugh, then focused USOC goals on winning medals after a poor performance at the [1988] Winter Games.

Michelle Kwan was a 13-year-old whose parents were trying to scrape up money for her skating when Yankees owner George Steinbrenner stepped up to the plate.

Kwan, who became the most decorated figure skater in U.S. history, never would meet Steinbrenner, who died Tuesday at age 80. But she still has the "wicked cool" Yankees jacket Steinbrenner sent in response to her thank-you letter for his $10,000 contribution to her funding in the fall of 1993.

"He was like an angel to come and help us," Kwan said Tuesday. "He supported a 13-year-old who at that point wasn't anybody."

And now us Michelle Kwan fans know who provided financial support for her when she was just starting out.

Re: LA TIMES: U.S. Olympic athletes owe a debt to George Steinbrenner (Michelle Kwan)

What a wonderful story! I count myself a superfan of Michelle (do I qualify to be a bot?), and I either didn't know that or didn't remember. I've been following her since she was twelve, too. Thanks, George!

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Re: LA TIMES: U.S. Olympic athletes owe a debt to George Steinbrenner (Michelle Kwan)

Wow. that is just son cool. Steinbrenner was a great manager and a great man. How many people do such awesome things and do it all out of the public eye. he will be missed by many.

heyang

Record Breaker

What I find amazing his how quiet he kept his contributions. For a man that was so blustery and out there in the public, he really kept his community work 'quiet'. It's only since he's died that people have come forward with their stories.

He caught a guy spraying graffitti at Yankee Stadium. Instead of turning him in, he made him a bat boy and mentored him. The guy has since authored some picture books involving baseball. He's also started and funded a foundation that provides scholarships for the children of deceased firefighters and policemen after attending the funeral of one many years ago - long before 9/11 happened. Since hearing about it, I've been meaning to send in a charitable contribution in memoriam.

And, of course, as a Yankees fan, he's changed baseball. I think the value of his in initial investment of $100,000 for the total purchase price of $10 million in the Yankees is not worth $1.6 Billion. I can only imagine what would've happened if he had bought the Cleveland Indians, which was his 1st choice!