Thornhill (Figure Skating Boutique) Summer Skate - August 12th - 15th | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Thornhill (Figure Skating Boutique) Summer Skate - August 12th - 15th

npa

Match Penalty
OMG, Paul-Islam skated Mahler (on another music) with starting and ending positions from UOS and she look like Tessa from the distane and repeat Tessas ballet moves. Yesrtaday there program was much better. They had less personality in this FD, then even Kongs. Sad.....

Dun look really bad - what happened with him? Terra look beautifull, but he couldn teven skate full FD. With Agafonova he look much better.

callalily

On the Ice
OMG, Paul-Islam skated Mahler (on another music) with starting and ending positions from UOS and she look like Tessa from the distane and repeat Tessas ballet moves. Yesrtaday there program was much better. They had less personality in this FD, then even Kongs. Sad.....

I don't think it's a question of personality. "Lacking personality" would suggest to me that their expression was flat, that they didn't connect with the music or each other- and I don't think that was the case at all. She, in particular, seems very expressive.

Maybe you're concerned that she is copying Tessa's style - not showing enough uniqueness? Alexandra has done a lot of ballet, and her coaches are probably trying to capitalize on that. It's up to them to give the team varied choreography, and hopefully they'll do that. I think Romain Haguenauer has done some of their choreo, which is a good sign IMO.

I'm excited about Alexandra's skills. She's fairly new to ice dance, and this is just the start of her second season with Mitchell, but she's already showing a lot of refinement.

Back when Tessa was injured, I thought that if (heaven forbid) Tessa had to retire, Alexandra might be a good partner for Scott, since her dance background off the ice is similar to Tessa's. Thankfully, Tessa recovered and they never had to confront that kind of question.

I expect that Mitchell and Alexandra will develop their own style with more time together. Their SD looked really good and I look forward to seeing more from them.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
I don't know , npa... Findlay and Dun did seem very rough but I'm willing to wait-see. They do look well together, and with better conditioning, more time..I think they have possibilities.My computer was glitching and freezing all over the place, so I didn't see everything ( thank goodness for the 3 wk archive...) I'll try again tonight. It'll be too hot to sleep, anyway.:sheesh:
I did see the Khongs, :thumbsup: and Paul / Islam. Hmmmmm..she is the same physical type as Tessa , and she has tons of ballet training of her own, so comparisons are inevitable. Maybe they want to invite them , but I wouldn't worry too much about emulation just yet...I just think they need to set themselves apart more in the costume dept ( might not be their competition costmes , anyway). He's fine , but they should put her in 40's-cut dress and use a bit stronger colour ( ice blue is too close to white)..let her have red lips and channel a bit more Bergman...There's a lot of lovely stuff in this program , and I just love how they're continuing to progress by leaps and bounds...:unsure: Did he seem a tad miffed after the skate ? If so , better nip that in the bud.

Last edited:

npa

Match Penalty
Back when Tessa was injured, I thought that if (heaven forbid) Tessa had to retire, Alexandra might be a good partner for Scott, since her dance background off the ice is similar to Tessa's. Thankfully, Tessa recovered and they never had to confront that kind of question.

I had the same thoughts and she look shoter, then Tessa is. :)
I think there skating is really good, they have speed, power, but they need more work on there image and presentation on ice. Not because they have bad image or something like this, but it easy to copy someone moves, but you need create your own style.
If we will have photos form there FD, i could show 5-6 pose from Mahler.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I hope the first person to find it in the archives, will post here and tell everyone!

Lady Lorna

Spectator
I received an e-mail from Skatebuzz this morning--they are waiting for the footage from the video operators, and hope to have it loaded into the archives by the end of this week.

skatingfan04

Final Flight
I received an e-mail from Skatebuzz this morning--they are waiting for the footage from the video operators, and hope to have it loaded into the archives by the end of this week.

Thanks!:) I was wondering if you knew whether or not viewing the skatebuzz archives is free. I know that watching the event live was, but I'm not sure about the archives.

callalily

On the Ice
Don't know for sure about free access, but I don't think Skatebuzz has ever charged $$ for anything in the past...not yet, anyway.

lilshorty

On the Ice
Did Nobunari Oda compete in this competition? If so, does anybody happen to know how well he did?

lilshorty

On the Ice
Nobunari withdrew, citing an injury. The men's SP was skated last night. It was won by Maciej Cieplucha, the Polish National Champion, who gave an interesting program with a 3/3, but popped his loop to a double, and I believe singled his axle.
http://www.skatinginbc.com/Images/compresults/SS2010/results/srmenshr.html

Liam Firus was seond, Patrick Wong third.

Ronald Lam imploded, and skated as though his program and he were not yet ready for prime time. The sr ladies SP's I saw all were pretty terrible, with falls and pops on most of the jumps. The Jr Pairs long, sr men's long, ladies long and Sr pairs long will be skated today, and are available on skatebuzz as streaming video live.

Thanks!

Sylvia

Record Breaker

mariposa

Rinkside
I'm wondering if anyone has any info from SkateBuzz on the Thornhill Summer Skate being posted in archives yet..or any other site where one can watch...thanx