Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Thornhill (Figure Skating Boutique) Summer Skate - August 12th - 15th

Custom Title
    Fans outside of Canada can register an account for free to watch the Thornhill (Ontario) competition LIVE today and tomorrow on Skatebuzz! Link to register to watch Thornhill: http://skatebuzz.neulion.com/skatebuzz/console.jsp
    (only West Arena events will be webcast)

Competition schedule (all times Eastern): http://www.skatecanada-centralontari...20Schedule.pdf

Results/protocols: http://www.skatecanada-centralontari...2010/index.htm

Custom Title
    Oliviera/Hockley won the Junior Short Dance. The Hasegawa's are in second and the Khongs in third. I pretty much agree with those results (watching on Skatebuzz). I think it'll take me a while to get used to the Short Dances. My about 2012/13 season, I'll be on board. But until then, I don't like these hybrids.

Custom Title
    Paul/Islam have improved quite a bit since junior worlds. Wasn't expecting that for some reason, but given their steep learning curve, I should have. A piece of her costume fell off (looked like a hair bun thingamajig - I'm a black man with a very close shave, I don't know these things). They scored 53.16, and they had an error on the twizzle as well (she came off early). But they are much smoother and more refined than last season. Sorta stunned, actually.

Custom Title
    I was lucky enough to attend the competition, and I can tell you that both Oliviera & Hockley and Paul & Islam were phenomenal. I really wasn't expecting it from Oliviera & Hockley since they just moved up to juniors, but they were absolutely breathtaking. They weaved the OD and CD portions of the short dance together seamlessly, and they had really good power, speed and flow across the ice. I think that a big reason that the program worked so well was because they stuck to one piece of music, unlike many of the other teams, who's programs seemed disjointed because of the sudden music changes.

There's really nothing for me to say abut Paul & Islam except that they were sublime. They had everything; speed, power, flow and an excellent emotional performance level. I will admit that when I heard they were doing a waltz/tango I was expecting a train wreck, because I really couldn't see how they could fuse the styles. Well, I was wrong. Don't ask me how they did it, but they made the golden waltz portion of the dance look like a tango. The music did change slightly at that point, but it was a seamless transition, and did not disrupt the feel of the program at all. They were a little out of unison on the twizzles, but made up for it in the non-touching footwork sequence. They were as close as humanly possible to one another without actually touching during that entire section. I was really, really impressed.It really was a shame when her hair piece fell out.

Banned
    I was lucky to watch SD ar Skate buzz - thank you a lot!
    It was really interesting how SD will work for me. I must say - i dont like it. Its look, like skaters did CD andthen start doing OD
    And i musct to say, that Lane-Razgulyaevs become new Shpilband-Zueva - they have too many teams, who had a lot of similar elements and transitions. And this sweet waltz style - look reaaly the same. They did greate job for C-P, but they need to work on there skaters postures more (IMHO).
    And i must say i like SD form Tyler Myles and Islam group. P-I SD was really unusual adi like, that they skated GW in tango style - and i love this.I like this girl - she have good posture and could express music really greate. I wish to watch this SD one more time. And i like SD from there second team - on Bryan Adams "If you really love a women" and tango in spanish style. But i dont know, what judges think about this idea, but this look unusual for me.
    And it was interesting to watch Yurii Razgulyevs son skating. Nice kid!
    Thank you skatebuzz againe!

P.S. And now i know, what Julin miss in I-K SD - they didnt have a lot off skating in dance holds, like canadina teams had. I dont talk about awfull changing of the rithm. Hope he will be told to work on more smoother connection between waltz and tango.
    Last edited by npa; 08-15-2010 at 04:49 AM.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I hope they put these up on-demand later I wasn't able to watch the SD's.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    I hope they put these up on-demand later I wasn't able to watch the SD's.
    According to the Thornhill website, they should be in the archives for three weeks.

Banned
    OMG, Paul-Islam skated Mahler (on another music) with starting and ending positions from UOS and she look like Tessa from the distane and repeat Tessas ballet moves. Yesrtaday there program was much better. They had less personality in this FD, then even Kongs. Sad.....

Dun look really bad - what happened with him? Terra look beautifull, but he couldn teven skate full FD. With Agafonova he look much better.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by npa View Post
    OMG, Paul-Islam skated Mahler (on another music) with starting and ending positions from UOS and she look like Tessa from the distane and repeat Tessas ballet moves. Yesrtaday there program was much better. They had less personality in this FD, then even Kongs. Sad.....
    I don't think it's a question of personality. "Lacking personality" would suggest to me that their expression was flat, that they didn't connect with the music or each other- and I don't think that was the case at all. She, in particular, seems very expressive.

Maybe you're concerned that she is copying Tessa's style - not showing enough uniqueness? Alexandra has done a lot of ballet, and her coaches are probably trying to capitalize on that. It's up to them to give the team varied choreography, and hopefully they'll do that. I think Romain Haguenauer has done some of their choreo, which is a good sign IMO.

I'm excited about Alexandra's skills. She's fairly new to ice dance, and this is just the start of her second season with Mitchell, but she's already showing a lot of refinement.

Back when Tessa was injured, I thought that if (heaven forbid) Tessa had to retire, Alexandra might be a good partner for Scott, since her dance background off the ice is similar to Tessa's. Thankfully, Tessa recovered and they never had to confront that kind of question.

I expect that Mitchell and Alexandra will develop their own style with more time together. Their SD looked really good and I look forward to seeing more from them.

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    I don't know , npa... Findlay and Dun did seem very rough but I'm willing to wait-see. They do look well together, and with better conditioning, more time..I think they have possibilities.My computer was glitching and freezing all over the place, so I didn't see everything ( thank goodness for the 3 wk archive...) I'll try again tonight. It'll be too hot to sleep, anyway.:sheesh:
    I did see the Khongs, and Paul / Islam. Hmmmmm..she is the same physical type as Tessa , and she has tons of ballet training of her own, so comparisons are inevitable. Maybe they want to invite them , but I wouldn't worry too much about emulation just yet...I just think they need to set themselves apart more in the costume dept ( might not be their competition costmes , anyway). He's fine , but they should put her in 40's-cut dress and use a bit stronger colour ( ice blue is too close to white)..let her have red lips and channel a bit more Bergman...There's a lot of lovely stuff in this program , and I just love how they're continuing to progress by leaps and bounds... Did he seem a tad miffed after the skate ? If so , better nip that in the bud.
    Last edited by colleen o'neill; 08-15-2010 at 05:44 PM.

Rinkside
    Is the archived material up yet? I couldn't find it. Or is it right in front of my nose?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by callalily View Post
    Back when Tessa was injured, I thought that if (heaven forbid) Tessa had to retire, Alexandra might be a good partner for Scott, since her dance background off the ice is similar to Tessa's. Thankfully, Tessa recovered and they never had to confront that kind of question.
    I had the same thoughts and she look shoter, then Tessa is.
    I think there skating is really good, they have speed, power, but they need more work on there image and presentation on ice. Not because they have bad image or something like this, but it easy to copy someone moves, but you need create your own style.
    If we will have photos form there FD, i could show 5-6 pose from Mahler.

Custom Title
    I still can't find the events in the Skatebuzz archives. Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan04 View Post
    I still can't find the events in the Skatebuzz archives. Am I missing something?
    It's not up yet.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I hope the first person to find it in the archives, will post here and tell everyone!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast