Scottish duo Sinead and John Kerr set to continue on ice | Golden Skate

Scottish duo Sinead and John Kerr set to continue on ice

herios

Medalist
Article in Telegraph:

http://www.tennis.com/messageboards/forums/forum-view.asp?fid=2

When the season ended and it became clear that the top 2 russian ice dance teams won't competete any longer, the thought that the next year it could be a great ooportunity to the veteran italian, french and brit team to take the podium.
Of course I didn't know if all of them will commit to contuinue on.
I am glad the Kerr's decided to do so, until the young russian teams will gain experience and get better, there is this chance for them, I am hoping they will make the most of it.

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Interesting. I really did not see them continuing, ESP with the rule changes.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I thought that the elimination of the CD would help them because I remember people saying in the CD's -They are too close in height and that still matters but always really was brought up in CDs. Fiella and Scali are number one and Pechalate and Bourzat will move into second. They could definitely medal. I thought there Likin Park program free dance was perfect and their scottish original dance was great. So I can see them winning bronze in Europe. But of course Illynk and Katsalapov could totally move into the number one spot because they are so good and fit the new mold of ice dancing being set by vm and dw. I don't know I think they could win bronze or silver at the 2011 Euros.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I'm so glad to hear this--they always have very interesting choreography. I would not discount their chances at Europeans so thoroughly. P&B, F&S, and K&K have not been that far apart in the past. A new year-a new set of programs, who knows what they will bring?

herios

Medalist
I thought that the elimination of the CD would help them because I remember people saying in the CD's -They are too close in height and that still matters but always really was brought up in CDs. Fiella and Scali are number one and Pechalate and Bourzat will move into second. They could definitely medal. I thought there Likin Park program free dance was perfect and their scottish original dance was great. So I can see them winning bronze in Europe. But of course Illynk and Katsalapov could totally move into the number one spot because they are so good and fit the new mold of ice dancing being set by vm and dw. I don't know I think they could win bronze or silver at the 2011 Euros.

It amuses me that you put the teams in their 2010 ranking, like the protocol will prevail in 2011. Since COP is in place, there is no guarantee the teams will be measuring up in the same way from one competition to another, as mistakes do matter, so does the difficulty of the programs and how the teams execute on a given day.
As far as Ilinych and Katsalapov, I would stay away to pencil them anywhere. I kept reading here, they are potentially the next Olympic champions, you just think they could be the next european champions, etc.
How good are they? If they are soooo good, how come they didn't even win the russian junior nationals last year?
Once they start competing in the senior ranks, we will see where they fit, if they could even beat Bobrova / Soloviev in the first place.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
This is true. Consider how many people were sure that Chock & Zuerlein would immediately overtake Davis & White, because C&Z had totally dominated the JGP and Jr Worlds in the previous year?

herios

Medalist
I'm so glad to hear this--they always have very interesting choreography. I would not discount their chances at Europeans so thoroughly. P&B, F&S, and K&K have not been that far apart in the past. A new year-a new set of programs, who knows what they will bring?

Exactly. We have seen times when they made mistakes, like the italians at LA worlds, the french at eurosin Tallin, small boo-boos by the Kerrs last year, which cost them preciuos points which changed the outcome.
There is not a lot among these teams, all seasoned veterans, and it make sense for them to stay in for one more year at least, that European title is definitely up for grabs.

herios

Medalist
This is true. Consider how many people were sure that Chock & Zuerlein would immediately overtake Davis & White, because C&Z had totally dominated the JGP and Jr Worlds in the previous year?
There you go, they were not even able to defeat Navarro / Bommentre!
In ice dance there is quite a gap between seniors and juniors, both in technique (speed and ice coverage) and expression. When a junior team moves up, you will have a better read, how they will fare over there, and how good they are.

I don't know what their chances are, but I'm thrilled the Kerrs are continuing. They're unusual and inventive, and besides, I'm always glad to see another country as contenders on general principle. I really enjoyed their Olympic program.

As for their being close in size, so were Denkova and Staviskiy, one of my favorite couples ever, and it didn't detract from their appeal at all to me.

gmyers

Record Breaker
It amuses me that you put the teams in their 2010 ranking, like the protocol will prevail in 2011. Since COP is in place, there is no guarantee the teams will be measuring up in the same way from one competition to another, as mistakes do matter, so does the difficulty of the programs and how the teams execute on a given day.
As far as Ilinych and Katsalapov, I would stay away to pencil them anywhere. I kept reading here, they are potentially the next Olympic champions, you just think they could be the next european champions, etc.
How good are they? If they are soooo good, how come they didn't even win the russian junior nationals last year?
Once they start competing in the senior ranks, we will see where they fit, if they could even beat Bobrova / Soloviev in the first place.

I don't know what is going to happen at all so I was just using 2009/2010 season results as a possible indicator of where things could go. K/K said that they think with the retirement of Domshaps and splitting of K/N that means they can move up. They think it themselves! With the retirement of those two Russian teams I also think lots and lots of time will go into developing I/K very quickly to try to make them the new "it" tream.

herios

Medalist
K/K said that they think with the retirement of Domshaps and splitting of K/N that means they can move up. They think it themselves! With the retirement of those two Russian teams I also think lots and lots of time will go into developing I/K very quickly to try to make them the new "it" tream.
Undeniable that the top 2 russian ice dance teams retirement /split will open the door to younger teams to take over the baton and run with it. But to think that I/K are the best of the bunch to bring Russia new medals in the near future, is a bit of a guess, to say the least. I will tell you why I am not quite convinced.
Yes, they are the current JWC, however, they lost both russian junior nationals as well as the JGPF to Monko / Khaliavin who took bronze at JWC.....
This means in my opinion, there is not a lot between these two teams.
Then, ahead of them is another former JWC team, Bobrova/Soloviev, who are already established themselves as a top 10 team in the world and took them 3 years in senior to reach that point. They are quite talented and well matched and young in ice dance 20/21.
These would be easier to believe that they could be challengers for the Euros podium, as they are ranked now 4th in Europe, with Zaretky's retirement.
So, in my opinion, the russian teams will have a battle on their own to grab the leading positions to represent their country in the major championships.
It will be fascinating to watch, but I would put my money for now on the last two B/S, as they have a few years experience in seniors and it takes some time to adjust to seniors, when they are moving up from juniors.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Bobrova and Soloviev had some solid performances last season and did move up. I am sure judges will know them more and give them higher marks for a while than they would give I/K. I/K are just really exciting. But like all teams will have to learn the new Short Dance structure and I feel that could be an equalizer not just among younger teams but all teams.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Yay, love them!! I hope they win a medal at Euros this year, and do I dare hope, worlds?

People are too quick to tout young junior teams as the next big winners. I guess it's because Tessa and Scott and Meryl and Charlie had so much success so fast and at a younger age than their peers, but they're not the norm.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Even Tessa and Scott didn't medal at Worlds till their second year in Seniors. And D&W did not medal until their 4th (this year). There is a huge difference between Jr. & Sr. Dance. It's just much harder to get the levels in step sequences when they are skating with the speed required of seniors.