Who among the Ladies has a 3-3 this year? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Who among the Ladies has a 3-3 this year?

janetfan

Match Penalty
^ And don't forget Herma Szabo, 1922-1926. :clap:

But, yeah, Mao has a great shot at winning three more. :cool:

Edited to add: 2011 World podium:

Mao Asada
Ashley Wagner :yes:
?

Thanks for mentioning Herma Szabo.

I see you appear to have abandoned Rachael to jump on the Ashley bandwagon this season.
Wouldn't it be nice for Ashley and Priscilla too for Ashley to win or atleast place second at Natls this season.

MikiAndoFan#1

Record Breaker
She was relatively lazy after winning her 2007 World Title and I predict the same thing if she wins the next World Title. It's only natural to revel in your victories, in comparison to everyone else training as hard as they can to beat you next time.

Miki was injured during 2007/2008. Her shoulder had gotten worse and then she injured her leg. I don't think laziness had anything to do with her results that season.

You guys assume Miki is going for the Quad Sal in both short and long program? She's not. I don't think she will even attempt it.
Miki w/out the quad will not edge out Asada. Asada, with multiple mistakes, can get above 130. Miki, clean, is about 126. It's unfortunate, but it is what it is.

First of all, female skaters aren't allowed to do quads in the SP. Second, no one is expecting Miki to go for the 4S. I believe Miki isn't practicing it anymore, and that's definately a good thing. Third, Miki would've got over 130 at Worlds 2009 if her 3Lo had not been downgraded.

:rolleye:

janetfan said:
I see you appear to have abandoned Rachael to jump on the Ashley bandwagon this season.

Wouldn't it be nice for Ashley and Priscilla too for Ashley to win or atleast place second at Natls this season.

I don't know if Ashley has a bandwagon yet, but I think I will root for her for the same reason that I rooted for Rachael to win U.S. Nationals last year. Rachael skated great at U.S. Nationals in both 2008 and 2009 and maybe deserved to win both, so I was glad to see her grab the brass ring on her third try.

Ashley skated great all last year, and I wish she could have made the Olympic team (not at the expense of Rachael and Mirai, though.) So I hope she has a stellar year in 2011.

As for Mirai, she is the U.S. skater that has the "it" factor along with the technique. She is sure to be the skater most in the public eye heading into the Grand Prix season. She is both the "future" and the "now" of U.S. ladies.

IMHO, if Yu-na Kim retires, only Mao Asada is at a different level from the U.S. ladies, and I don't see any reason why our girls can't contend for podium spots internationally.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I don't know if Ashley has a bandwagon yet, but I think I will root for her for the same reason that I rooted for Rachael to win U.S. Nationals last year. Rachael skated great at U.S. Nationals in both 2008 and 2009 and maybe deserved to win both, so I was glad to see her grab the brass ring on her third try.

Ashley skated great all last year, and I wish she could have made the Olympic team (not at the expense of Rachael and Mirai, though.) So I hope she has a stellar year in 2011.

As for Mirai, she is the U.S. skater that has the "it" factor along with the technique. She is sure to be the skater most in the public eye heading into the Grand Prix season. She is both the "future" and the "now" of U.S. ladies.

IMHO, if Yu-na Kim retires, only Mao Asada is at a different level from the U.S. ladies, and I don't see any reason why our girls can't contend for podium spots internationally.

I like Ashley's skating and feel she is close to putting it all together. Easier said than done and I agree with you about Mirai.
Since Sochi is four seasons away it is hard to tell who might emerge by 2014. With a little more speed and better spins Christina seems primed but there will be others nipping at the heels of the current ladies.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
First of all, female skaters aren't allowed to do quads in the SP. Second, no one is expecting Miki to go for the 4S. I believe Miki isn't practicing it anymore, and that's definately a good thing. Third, Miki would've got over 130 at Worlds 2009 if her 3Lo had not been downgraded.
:rolleye:

First of all :rolleye:
Second of all, I said "assume" Miki is going for the 4S in both S and L programs because how else would she gain so much more points than Asada in technical to compensate for the PCS? Miki is not going to put a flip in the LP, it seems. Everything I said is in context to what I was replying to.

Asada's PCS is already about a triple axel more than Miki's. She can do a 5 clean triples LP and still win.

Third, Miki LP at 2009 Worlds deserved 1st place. I give you that.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Second of all, I said "assume" Miki is going for the 4S in both S and L programs because how else would she gain so much more points than Asada in technical to compensate for the PCS? Miki is not going to put a flip in the LP, it seems. Everything I said is in context to what I was replying to.

Asada's PCS is already about a triple axel more than Miki's. She can do a 5 clean triples LP and still win.

Miki's PCS is capable of being really high if she manages to not look dead out there. Like at the GPF, her PCS were not much below Yuna's, and at worlds 2009 her PCS in her FS were really high because that was a fantastic program. I don't think it is out of the question that Miki will win Worlds this year and be able to defeat Mao, given all that Mao is going through recently. The 3a plagued her all last season until she lost weight in the winter to be able to rotate it, and that in turn hurt her stamina. I'm not sure Mao's 3a's are going to be super solid this season, and likely her 3lz and 3-3s won't be ready yet either, and if that turns out to be true, it definitely opens the door for Miki to win Worlds. Also, Worlds are in Japan, Japan loves Miki, I bet her PCS scores will be high.

MikiAndoFan#1

Record Breaker

Miki doesn't need a quad. She needs to be consistent and she needs to stop holding back. Her PCS aren't very different from Mao's.

You don't have to give me anything.

:p

miki88

Medalist
Well, the possibility of the same situation happening twice (Miki winning worlds in Tokyo) is pretty slim. Every Worlds is going to be different and there's always going to be surprises. I'll be looking to Mirai to step up to the occasion. This is really her year to fulfill the expectations that has been building since last season. Of course, I'll be cheering on both her and Mao but I don't like to make predictions in fear of jinxing my favorites. ;)

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I appreciate the effort, but anything, and I mean anything, underrotated by a 1/2 or more should never be given credit, not even partial.

They don't. If you underrotate by a full half turn it's completely downgraded to the next lower jump.

Miki doesn't underrotate her Quad by a full half turn, though. Maybe she has sometimes in exhibitions or whatever when she's just randomly trying it, but her competition attempts haven't been. The one she did at the 2008 GPF would definitely be scored as <4Sal, not a <<4Sal, and would receive 7.4 points.

I agree with the toll that Mao's other jumps have taken because of her undivided focus on the 3A. However, I would not say that doing 3As is getting harder or that it had more spring in the past. Honestly, the 3As I saw her do at the Olympics and some of the competitions before then have been much improved and had the greatest height and hang time that I've seen from her.

Nah, look at this 3A from 2008 Four Continents.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWdY5uHROoI

Covers a decent amount of distance and isn't underrotated at all. Her Triple Axels haven't been like that the past year. She isn't getting as much spring and instead has to make herself rotate faster to complete the jump, always still coming down a bit short of being perfectly rotated.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Thanks for the update, Blades of Passion, as regards the rule concerning underrotations by 1/2 (good to know!).

And thank you most sincerely for your Miki Ando comments. I was curious, so I looked up the aforementioned competition wherein you mention she completed the 4S. My most humblest apologies to Miss Ando, yes, most definitely she should have gotten credit for that 4S! And I am wrong, she definitely has completed a 4S!!!!! *clapping* I admit I didn't follow skating religiously there for quite a while (disallusioned), especially the GP and the years following the 2006 Olympics(maybe even the Worlds wherein Miki won), so I honestly must have missed this. *embarrassed* So my only memories of Miki were when she first started out in seniors, the few times she tried the 4S where it was hugely underrotated or else she fell and hurt her shoulder, and then the disastrous 2006 Olympics. But I did catch her the year before the 2010 Olympics (all due to Evgeni Plushenko btw; he's the one that brought me back, nobody but him!). And I watched her during last season's GP and at the Olympics, as I did the other Japanese women, but honestly the only ones that really captured my attention were Mao (of course) and Yukari Nakano. That's it. However, I did recently catch a glimpse of Miki the other day regarding some "masterpiece" program (or exhibition) she did, so I watched it and was duly impressed. :) Yes, it looks like she can definitely give Mao a run for her money, as well as the other women in the world, and capture another World Gold. Hopefully she (along with Mao) will bring my joy back to women's figure skating, which has been missing for a while, with occasional spurts of joy here & there (e.g. 2008 US Nationals). And the same holds true for men's, I only came back for Zhenya, but actually found myself enjoying all the men moreso than the women for the first time in my life. But ice dance & pairs has completely died for me (still haven't watched any of the Olympic coverage of these two events; though I am glad the S&Z won gold).

Back to Miki, I honestly wish both her & Mao well, and don't mind which one wins Worlds (if either), as long as they do their best. Btw, I'm still waiting for Mao to have a Michelle Kwan Salome-type transformation; I love her lyrical programs, but just wish she would completely stun us all with an MK style bravado program one day. Hopefully the future program "fit for the gods" includes such a transformation.

GOOOOOOOOOOO MIKI & MAO!!!!!

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Totally forgot the 3rd girl from Japan. She could challenge for the bronze. Just look at this program. Her musicality, expressions, transitions, performance, choreography, interpretation, even skating skills are all there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzj0wii6B44&feature=related

Japan only has 3 spots at Worlds, and 6 ladies vying for those spots - Mao, Miki, Akiko, Kanako, Fumie, Haruka. Akiko might not even make the World team where she has a tendency to be inconsistent, Kanako might go instead of her.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Totally forgot the 3rd girl from Japan. She could challenge for the bronze. Just look at this program. Her musicality, expressions, transitions, performance, choreography, interpretation, even skating skills are all there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzj0wii6B44&feature=related

Watch last season's GPF - in the LP Akiko skated circles around the others (yes that would include Miki and Yuna). At Japanese Natls, where the judging seemed less political Akiko placed ahead of Miki.

Akiko needs to skate her best - but when she does I much prefer her to Miki. Akiko moves better to the music than just about any of today's Ladies. Stylisitically she is miles ahead of Miki. But there are other factors which is where Miki excels. But artistry, musicality - nah, like watching a boy in a skirt. Granted, a very pretty boy, but Miki reminds me of Irina in that sense. Something is missing.

Last edited:

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice
Japan only has 3 spots at Worlds, and 6 ladies vying for those spots - Mao, Miki, Akiko, Kanako, Fumie, Haruka. Akiko might not even make the World team where she has a tendency to be inconsistent, Kanako might go instead of her.

Realistically speaking, I think that Fumie is no longer a contender for a spot on the Japanese team, and Haruka isn't quite there yet.

I'm pretty sure that it'll be Mao-Miki-Kanako and Mao-Miki-Akiko for World's and 4CC, or vice versa.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Watch last season's GPF - in the LP Akiko skated circles around the others (yes that would include Miki and Yuna). At Japanese Natls, where the judging seemed less political Akiko placed ahead of Miki.

Akiko needs to skate her best - but when she does I much prefer her to Miki. Akiko moves better to the music than just about any of today's Ladies. Stylisitically she is miles ahead of Miki. But there are other factors which is where Miki excels. But artistry, musicality - nah, like watching a boy in a skirt. Granted, a very pretty boy, but Miki reminds me of Irina in that sense. Something is missing.

Well, to be fair Miki has improved so much in that respect ... I used to not like watching her very much but now I sort of enjoy her. I mean, I do think she has worked so hard on her expressiveness and her choreo. Even her lines. Lines are difficult for her but she has tried very hard to improve. I hated her costumes this year, though. Is she competing this year or not?

I have to say, though, that I sometimes Youtube Irina's performances. I know she wasn't the most artistically polished but I really did like her energy, and she had charisma. Next to the soulful Michelle and the perfectly poslished positions of Sasha, Irina didn't look very artisitic. But Irina definitely had ice presence. She commanded attention in her own way. Only when she was perfect, though. She wasn't like Sasha, where Sasha could splat once and the rest of the performance would be nearly be perfect. With Irina, it was like she was either awesome or kinda sloppy. So, I youtube her perfect performances every once in a while. I miss Irina, and Sasha and Michelle. They were great competitors for each other. It was so fun because they had their distinctive styles.

Now that I think about it, I never youtube Miki's performances...

janetfan

Match Penalty
Well, to be fair Miki has improved so much in that respect ... I used to not like watching her very much but now I sort of enjoy her. I mean, I do think she has worked so hard on her expressiveness and her choreo. Even her lines. Lines are difficult for her but she has tried very hard to improve. I hated her costumes this year, though. Is she competing this year or not?

I have to say, though, that I sometimes Youtube Irina's performances. I know she wasn't the most artistically polished but I really did like her energy, and she had charisma. Next to the soulful Michelle and the perfectly poslished positions of Sasha, Irina didn't look very artisitic. But Irina definitely had ice presence. She commanded attention in her own way. Only when she was perfect, though. She wasn't like Sasha, where Sasha could splat once and the rest of the performance would be nearly be perfect. With Irina, it was like she was either awesome or kinda sloppy. So, I youtube her perfect performances every once in a while. I miss Irina, and Sasha and Michelle. They were great competitors for each other. It was so fun because they had their distinctive styles.

Now that I think about it, I never youtube Miki's performances...

I actually like Miki alot. I just can't describe her very well. Some talk about "it factor." I think Miki has lot's of it.
When Miki is on she can hit some really great looking jumps.

I dunno, I don't think she was packaged right last season. I felt the same way about Mao.

I would like to see Miki in more straight ahead type of programs that would emphasize her athleticism.

I would be surprised if she won Worlds this season but would not mind it. She is a World Champion already and supposedly a really nice young lady.

A while a go I saw a little gala program that David Wilson did for Miki. Utterly charming and I was really drawn into her performance. More of that and less Cleopatra.......

Last edited: