Who among the Ladies has a 3-3 this year? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Who among the Ladies has a 3-3 this year?

MikiAndoFan#1

Record Breaker
I don't think any skater has ever done a 2Axel-3Loop in competition, actually. Putting the 3Loop on the end of a Double Axel is quite difficult but it's not a move anyone had any purpose to attempt under 6.0 judging since it isn't actually a 3-3 combination and anyone who is good enough to do a 3Loop in combination with a Double Axel consistently can probably do the 3Loop on the end of at least one type of Triple jump.

I saw a video of Miki doing it in practice before the Olympics. Now I can't find it on YouTube.

:frown:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
It was amazing! So much distance. Also is it me or is Gao look totally different? I want to say she's grown a few inches, but I think she's about the same height as last year. Maybe she has more muscle?

Icenetwork now has her listed as 5'2", last year she was listed as 5'1", so she's grown a little, but not much, I think more her body is changing into a more mature one and so her torso looks more in proportion to her legs than before.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Joey Russell did it at canadians in 2009. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeR3qBjG93M

And actually I wouldn't doubt Anna could do this combination, and I assume she is working on 3-3lo combinations as well (maybe 3f-3lo as 3f seems to be one of her stronger jumps). She definitely gets more flow out of her 2a than her other triples though so it would make since she could already do that combination back in december.

It was underrotated. So, nope, nobody has done a 2Axel-3Loop combination in the history of the sport yet (AFAIK). :)

silverlake22

Record Breaker
It was underrotated. So, nope, nobody has done a 2Axel-3Loop combination in the history of the sport yet (AFAIK). :)

Well, maybe Anna will be the first :). And if she does do that combination and it gets ratified all the people who complain about how bad her jumps are will be eating lots of crow. GOOO ANNA :yay:! I love that girl so much - so musical, so charismatic, so happy :biggrin:

aftertherain

Record Breaker
All Russian young girls except Anna Ovcharova who will be at the JGP have 3-3:
Polina Shelepen 3Lz-3T, 3S-3T (and she has 2A-3T and also did 3F-3T-2T and 3F-3Lo)
Polina Agafonova 3Lz-3T (did 3S-3T at Russian Nationals)
Elizaveta Tuktamysheva 3Lz-3T (and 2A-3T-2T)
Adelina Sotnikova 3Lz-3Lo, 3S-3Lo (and 2A-3T)
Sofya Biryukova 3T-3T
Kristina Zaseeva 3T-3T

Also Alena Leonova, she has 3T-3T and working on 3F-3T

Oh my. Russians really aren't kidding about Sochi aren't they?

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
After Russia's disastrous outing in Vancouver, where I personally feel they should have been completely shut out of the medals, I would certainly hope not.

Eris

On the Ice
And if she does do that combination and it gets ratified all the people who complain about how bad her jumps are will be eating lots of crow. GOOO ANNA :yay:! I love that girl so much - so musical, so charismatic, so happy
I'm your friend, Anna is my favourite Russian skater.:cool:

I hope, Mirai and Mr. Carrol will include 3L-3T in her FS.

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I'm your friend, Anna is my favourite Russian skater.:cool:

I hope, Mirai and Mr. Carrol will include 3L-3T in her FS.

Me too. Anna is very good friends with Elena Ilynihk who thinks that Anna is actually the best of all the young Russian female singles skaters right now :).

And I hope Mirai goes for 3lz-3t in SP and FS, I think she is totally capable. Wishing her a speedy recovery from her injury!

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Many of the top American ladies haven't yet skated this summer, so we don't yet know about Ashley, Caroline, Mirai or Rachael. I don't recall Alissa ever having a triple / triple.

yangjie

On the Ice
mao: 3F3T and maybe 3LO3LO
miki: 3LZ3LO and 2A3T
akiko suzuki: 2A3T
kanako murakami : 3T3T
haruka imai: 2A3T

and other japanese ladies(especially junior skaters) will try 2A3T and a 3-3/

i love to skate

Medalist

It doesn't matter if you think it was under rotated. The protocols are what counts and according to the them it was rotated. So Joey Russell has completed the jump. Another Canadian skater, Jayson Denommee did triple axel triple loop combinations in the early 2000s.

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
LOL, the protocols are absolutely not what counts. Using your own eyes and brain is what counts. It's a National competition; they went easy on him and clearly didn't look closely (or care to look closely) at the jump.

Regardless, nobody has done the move in international competition yet.

i love to skate

Medalist
LOL, the protocols are absolutely not what counts. Using your own eyes and brain is what counts. It's a National competition; they went easy on him and clearly didn't look closely (or care to look closely) at the jump.

Regardless, nobody has done the move in international competition yet.

:confused: to the bolded part - I am pretty sure that protocols are what counts and matter to everyone. They are what counts to skaters, commentators, coaches, choreographers, and us fans. The ISU and National federations also use them to evaluate the judges and other officials. If they didn't matter, why would we pore over them after every competition??

The jump was close to being under rotated but it is hard to tell because of the camera angle - you can't say definitely that it was UR. The judges called it clean so it is clean. We have seen this many times with other jumps in the past that have been questionable yet were called/not called.

It is hard to say if the jump has been done in international competition - it could have been completed years ago but there is no available video for it or protocols to study.

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
:confused: to the bolded part - I am pretty sure that protocols are what counts and matter to everyone. They are what counts to skaters, commentators, coaches, choreographers, and us fans.

:rofl: :rofl:

:disapp:

Protocols are nothing but the marks of a few people who mostly don't know what they are doing, filtered through whatever the current rules of the scoring system are. They are absolutely not "what matters".

Obviously they are important to competitors and coaches for knowing what levels their elements got scored at and what kind of GOE and PCS grades they are receiving. That doesn't mean every downgrade call or every level call was correct just because the protocol says so, much less that the judges scored a skater correctly after evaluating the performance for yourself.

If protocols are what matters most to all choreographers, good GOD, the sport would be dead. Obviously choreographers need to make sure the programs are going to allow the skaters to get points under whatever the judging system is, though. And of course many choreographers will continually recycle what has worked in the past.

As for FANS, how ridiculous to say protocols are what matters to fans most. If you wanted to win a "most inane statement of the year" award, you surely succeeded. Many skating officials don't understand the protocols, much less fans. Some fans don't even know protocols exist. They just see the numbers that come up at competitions. Whenever I am in the stands at competitions, I pretty much always have to explain everything to people around me. Even family members of other skaters usually have no idea what the numbers mean.

The jump was close to being under rotated but it is hard to tell because of the camera angle - you can't say definitely that it was UR.

Um, yes I can. He leaves the ice facing the camera and lands 1/8 of a turn past that point. His foot is clearly at a slanted angle and not parallel to the camera, which would the minimum point he'd have to land at before the jump would get downgraded by a tech caller who was paying proper attention.

It's noticeable in real time that the jump was short, most likely caused by the way he went off axis in the air. Don't make me have to go through the trouble of creating a screen cap for this.