Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Who among the Ladies has a 3-3 this year?

Custom Title

Re: Who among the Ladies has a 3-3 this year?

Many of the top American ladies haven't yet skated this summer, so we don't yet know about Ashley, Caroline, Mirai or Rachael. I don't recall Alissa ever having a triple / triple.

Custom Title

Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Wishing her a speedy recovery from her injury!
    Yes, and she is in the North America Team for Japan Open, so I hope that means her injury is not very serious.

Custom Title

Polymer,

Alissa did a 3z-3t at SA 2005.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC4Fm1uy5hI

I don't know if she ever landed one again. Any historians remember if that 3-3 was DGed?

Quote Originally Posted by doug_log View Post
    Polymer,

Alissa did a 3z-3t at SA 2005.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC4Fm1uy5hI

I don't know if she ever landed one again. Any historians remember if that 3-3 was DGed?
    http://www.isufs.org/results/gpusa05..._FS_Scores.pdf

Assuming that they didn't have symbols for UR/DG back then, it was counted as a 3Lz+2T with negative GOE.

Custom Title

mao: 3F3T and maybe 3LO3LO
    miki: 3LZ3LO and 2A3T
    akiko suzuki: 2A3T
    kanako murakami : 3T3T
    haruka imai: 2A3T

and other japanese ladies(especially junior skaters) will try 2A3T and a 3-3/

On the Ice

Liza Tuktamysheva has definitely grown up a bit, but here 3lz-3t is still there.
    Mishin's camp gala a couple of weeks ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3q4wARd_hU

Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    It was underrotated. So, nope, nobody has done a 2Axel-3Loop combination in the history of the sport yet (AFAIK).
    It doesn't matter if you think it was under rotated. The protocols are what counts and according to the them it was rotated. So Joey Russell has completed the jump. Another Canadian skater, Jayson Denommee did triple axel triple loop combinations in the early 2000s.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    LOL, the protocols are absolutely not what counts. Using your own eyes and brain is what counts. It's a National competition; they went easy on him and clearly didn't look closely (or care to look closely) at the jump.

Regardless, nobody has done the move in international competition yet.

LOL, the protocols are absolutely not what counts. Using your own eyes and brain is what counts. It's a National competition; they went easy on him and clearly didn't look closely (or care to look closely) at the jump.

Regardless, nobody has done the move in international competition yet.
    to the bolded part - I am pretty sure that protocols are what counts and matter to everyone. They are what counts to skaters, commentators, coaches, choreographers, and us fans. The ISU and National federations also use them to evaluate the judges and other officials. If they didn't matter, why would we pore over them after every competition??

The jump was close to being under rotated but it is hard to tell because of the camera angle - you can't say definitely that it was UR. The judges called it clean so it is clean. We have seen this many times with other jumps in the past that have been questionable yet were called/not called.

It is hard to say if the jump has been done in international competition - it could have been completed years ago but there is no available video for it or protocols to study.
    Last edited by i love to skate; 07-28-2010 at 06:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by i love to skate View Post
    to the bolded part - I am pretty sure that protocols are what counts and matter to everyone. They are what counts to skaters, commentators, coaches, choreographers, and us fans.

Protocols are nothing but the marks of a few people who mostly don't know what they are doing, filtered through whatever the current rules of the scoring system are. They are absolutely not "what matters".

Obviously they are important to competitors and coaches for knowing what levels their elements got scored at and what kind of GOE and PCS grades they are receiving. That doesn't mean every downgrade call or every level call was correct just because the protocol says so, much less that the judges scored a skater correctly after evaluating the performance for yourself.

If protocols are what matters most to all choreographers, good GOD, the sport would be dead. Obviously choreographers need to make sure the programs are going to allow the skaters to get points under whatever the judging system is, though. And of course many choreographers will continually recycle what has worked in the past.

As for FANS, how ridiculous to say protocols are what matters to fans most. If you wanted to win a "most inane statement of the year" award, you surely succeeded. Many skating officials don't understand the protocols, much less fans. Some fans don't even know protocols exist. They just see the numbers that come up at competitions. Whenever I am in the stands at competitions, I pretty much always have to explain everything to people around me. Even family members of other skaters usually have no idea what the numbers mean.

The jump was close to being under rotated but it is hard to tell because of the camera angle - you can't say definitely that it was UR.
    Um, yes I can. He leaves the ice facing the camera and lands 1/8 of a turn past that point. His foot is clearly at a slanted angle and not parallel to the camera, which would the minimum point he'd have to land at before the jump would get downgraded by a tech caller who was paying proper attention.

It's noticeable in real time that the jump was short, most likely caused by the way he went off axis in the air. Don't make me have to go through the trouble of creating a screen cap for this.

Protocols are nothing but the marks of a few people who mostly don't know what they are doing, filtered through whatever the current rules of the scoring system are. They are absolutely not "what matters".
    Why don't you become a judge if you think that they don't know what they are doing then?? As a registered judge, I find your statement completely ignorant.

If you wanted to win a "most inane statement of the year" award, you surely succeeded.
    I actually think you took the cake with that one when you said that skating pairs doesn't take anymore bravery than singles skating

Don't make me have to go through the trouble of creating a screen cap for this.
    Ah yes. Screecaps are what matters - not protocals. Your logic makes perfect sense now

Why don't you become a judge if you think that they don't know what they are doing then?? As a registered judge, I find your statement completely ignorant.
    Because I have more lucrative things to do with my life? If I was retired I would certainly looking into being a judge.

I actually think you took the cake with that one when you said that skating pairs doesn't take anymore bravery than singles skating
    Cool, let's see all of the pairs skaters go out on the ice alone and give a performance while doing Quads and Triple Axels. Do you think it requires no bravery to perform difficult jumps that have the potential of breaking your foot every single time you attempt them? The fear of falling, the fear of injury, is what holds every skater back at first when they are learning these moves and the same thing goes for when it comes time to perform in competition.

Ah yes. Screecaps are what matters - not protocals. Your logic makes perfect sense now
    If a drunk man tells you the sky is purple, what are you going to believe - him or your own eyes and brain?

If you don't think incorrect calls have ever been made, which show up on the protcols, you're a complete fool (no offensive intended).

Because I have more lucrative things to do with my life? If I was retired I would certainly looking into being a judge.
    Exactly. Judges are VOLUNTEERS who use their vacation time and take time off from work to go and sit in freezing cold arenas to help athletes improve their skills and achieve their success. It takes over 5 years to become a Senior level judge in Canada and even longer to become an ISU official. It is not a glamours or lucrative position but these people do it because of the love of skating. For anyone who is not in their shoes to say that they have no idea what they are doing, is absolutely ridiculous.

Cool, let's see all of the pairs skaters go out on the ice alone and give a performance while doing Quads and Triple Axels. Do you think it requires no bravery to perform difficult jumps that have the potential of breaking your foot every single time you attempt them? The fear of falling, the fear of injury, is what holds every skater back at first when they are learning these moves and the same thing goes for when it comes time to perform in competition.
    Last comment on this issue as this is not the right thread for it:

When did I say that it took no bravery to perform difficult jumps?

Lets see every skater let themselves be tossed 10 feet in the air and be thrown across the rink. How about getting eighty stitches in your face, have a blade become imbedded in your brain, fracture your skull and require major brain surgery (and almost die), be dropped 10 feet and have your head slammed into the ice so hard that you do not remember any of the routine, shatter your leg, break your back, etc. Look at the story of Paul Binnebose.

Most of these people came back from these horrific injuries as well. Are they not brave?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CILSr7hCaSI - Another fluff on the dangers of pairs skating.

If you don't think incorrect calls have ever been made, which show up on the protcols, you're a complete fool (no offensive intended).
    Perhaps you should go back and read my post. I said there have been numerous calls in the past that have been/have not been made. Of course incorrect calls have been made - as is the case in every single sport on the planet.

For anyone who is not in their shoes to say that they have no idea what they are doing, is absolutely ridiculous.
    I didn't say they all are bad at their jobs. Many of them certainly are, though. It's scary some of the things I've heard. I'm sorry, but so many judges who are sitting on panels right now seriously can not differentiate between obvious figure skating elements, much less the nuances in programs.

When did I say that it took no bravery to perform difficult jumps?

Lets see every skater let themselves be tossed 10 feet in the air and be thrown across the rink. How about getting eighty stitches in your face, have a blade become imbedded in your brain, fracture your skull and require major brain surgery (and almost die), be dropped 10 feet and have your head slammed into the ice so hard that you do not remember any of the routine, shatter your leg, break your back, etc. Look at the story of Paul Binnebose.
    You think singles skaters haven't been taken out of practice sessions on stretchers?

And as to be thrown in the air, this goes back to what I said about throws in the other thread - pairs females can land a throw 3Loop more frequently than they can land a 3Loop jump because they aren't doing all the work when it comes to a throw. It is more daunting to generate and control the momentum for a difficult jump by yourself. That's often the reason why skaters pop jumps - because they get scared and feel uncomfortable and bail out.

So, no, pairs skating does not take more bravery.

Perhaps you should go back and read my post. I said there have been numerous calls in the past that have been/have not been made. Of course incorrect calls have been made - as is the case in every single sport on the planet.
    Then stop debating about the protocols being infallible! And, seriously, if you're a registered judge and you couldn't see there was a problem with that jump...well, that just goes back to what I said about most judges not knowing what they are doing, now doesn't it.

Then stop debating about the protocols being infallible! And, seriously, if you're a registered judge and you couldn't see there was a problem with that jump...well, that just goes back to what I said about most judges not knowing what they are doing, now doesn't it.
    The protocols are what matters in a competition - more than the personal opinion of a fan...

The technical panel decides if the jump should be downgraded - this is not the judges responsibility. The judges job is to decide how well that element was done. The jump wasn't perfect - so that would have been reflected in the GOE score I would have given the element. Whether that jump was to be downgraded or not, is not decided by me.

ETA:
    As to the bolded part, you sure do throw a lot of insults around don't you??

You think singles skaters haven't been taken out of practice sessions on stretchers?

So, no, pairs skating does not take more bravery
    So where are all the fluff pieces on the bravery of singles skaters, the dangers of singles skating, etc?Why are the majority of them about pairs' if this discipline requires no more bravery than singles?
    Last edited by i love to skate; 07-28-2010 at 10:08 PM.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast