Mao Asada news | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Mao Asada news

hellcat

Rinkside
It does...! And the height on it is great.

As for the ambitious layout, it's very difficult, but doable for Mao. :bow: I'm really impressed she's going for it, and I would say she's more likely to achieve it than not. I'm most looking forward to her 3F-3Lo combination, actually. I think I've seen it before, and it's a beauty.

I dunno.. Maybe because it's just the beginning stage of the change, but the way she jumps reminds me more of a loop jump than lutz.

Hard to explaine why. Maybe it's just me. She seems to be pushing the ice to get into the air with leg muscle instead of the power of hitting the ice with toe.

But either way, it's just the early stage and she should improve once she can kick the ice w/o any fear.

hurrah

Medalist
She seems to be pushing the ice to get into the air with leg muscle instead of the power of hitting the ice with toe.

I have a genuine question. Isn't the power to complete a lutz jump generated by the counter-rotational pull between outside edge of left foot and right toe pick, rather than the toe pick itself? I had thought that when a completion of a jump is dependent on the 'power of hitting the ice with toe', people criticize that as 'toe-hammer', which seems to be regarded as bad technique.

feraina

Record Breaker
I have a genuine question. Isn't the power to complete a lutz jump generated by the counter-rotational pull between outside edge of left foot and right toe pick, rather than the toe pick itself? I had thought that when a completion of a jump is dependent on the 'power of hitting the ice with toe', people criticize that as 'toe-hammer', which seems to be regarded as bad technique.

I agree with you. And yes, Mao's jumps look much better in the more recent performance. Someone made a side-by-side comparison of this performance with her earlier one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOtr9aWmNi0

Her jumps look bigger, better rotated, and have greater flow. It's wonderful to see the improvements in such a short amount of time!

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Wow Mao. She just never eases up! It would b amazing to see if she ever actually skated such a program clean. I hope she can take things one thing at a time and show us her lovely soft gentle side as well. Go Mao!

hellcat

Rinkside

I think I failed to express myself here. It's still hard to explain what I felt watching her new lutz practice. I should not have said it should be using the power from the toe-pick but it looks more like gently pushing the ice with the toe and the other blade. And it gives me the feel of loop jump.

BTW, hammer toe is the one Mao used to have - i.e. swing back her leg higher than her waist line, which I think is gone now? Another improvement. Also Mohawk turn gone? Yet, another improvement.

Oh, man, that video is already one of my favorite skating pieces ever. I can't get enough of it. One of the commentators on YouTube wrote that every time she (or he) gets tired of the frustrations of skating--the judging, the politics--something magic like this comes along. I couldn't put it better. Performances like this are what I watch skating for.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
^^Well said. I have watched Mao's video several times. Mao's Exhibition is indeed magical and I have added
it to my favorites.

rtureck

Final Flight
Dream big Mao! I hope you aren't serious about the quad though. :laugh:

Anyone/ skater has the right to dream, and what if she is serius about trying/ practicng a quad??

Back to topic: Her jumps seems to be improving, but those are clips from practices and exhibition pieces true test will be in competition. I do believe it is a very good start. Anyway, no news about a main coach still?

I like to see Tara go to Japan and coach / mentor Mao for a short time. Since I hear Mao is thinking about 3 lool/ 3 loop. OTOH Tara's axel skills are a bit unconventional, maybe Mao can give her some tips on the axel technique

Last edited:

feraina

Record Breaker
Oh, that is a beautiful doll! And a bit prescient -- it foreshadows the elegant young lady Mao Asada is daily transforming into.

What a lovely doll! I am quite a doll fan myself, so my standards are high. It captures her rather wry smile.

Chameleon is a great word to describe Mao. That ability contributes hugely to the appeal of her skating. She's a wonderful actress who conveys the emotion of the music. There's no wall between her and the audience. When she skates, I feel her "becoming" something in the music, and she pulls me right in.

An American skater who seemed to have that quality when she was just starting out was Tiffany Stiegler, which was one reason I rooted for Tiffany so strongly and was disappointed when she didn't fulfill her early promise. By comparison, thank goodness, Mao has retained that quality and has even strengthened it! Her career path is like that of a wonderful child actress who becomes equally successful playing adult roles--like Judy Garland. A very rare occurrence in both movies and skating.

feraina

Record Breaker
I like what they did with her hair in the Crunky commercial. She should skate with her hair like that for her exhibitions.

camion

On the Ice
Ooh la la, Mao is blossoming into a beautiful young lady right before our eyes (or commercial)! :love: I love the dress & hair! Elegant yet youthful :)

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Chameleon? I definitely wouldn't use that to describe Mao. "Lyrically Reserved" and "Cutesy" are all I've seen her be able to portray well. That's not really important, though. You can do tons of distinguishable variations on the same thing. As long as it's interesting it doesn't matter too much.