Kwan feature in Sports Illustrated | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Kwan feature in Sports Illustrated

miki88

Medalist
I couldn't say it better!

If I could be a skater, I'd rather skate like Michelle than like either of the two ladies (impressive though they are) who beat her for the gold in 1998 and 2002. (No surprise there.) Someone on YouTube said that when Michelle skates, she holds your soul in her hands. You may not all agree with that (tastes differ), but a large number of people do react to her skating that way, including me. She seems to distill the emotion in the music in a way that few other singles skaters do.

I totally agree with this statement! It's an emotional experience whenever I watch Michelle skate. I like the concept of the alternate universe by Mathman. In my alternate universe, Michelle would be two-time Olympic gold medalist. She would be three if it were not for the fact that Mao already came onto the scene in 2006. Since I love them equally, in my alternate world, Mao would be allowed to go and win in 2006. :biggrin:

heyang

Record Breaker
I wish that Michelle would do a performance in the US. She hasn't performed in her home country since 2006, but she's been in Yu-Na's show twice. Sheeshe - the USFSA should be working on a farewell to Michelle tribute show for Nationals - see what that does for ticket sales!!!

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If I could pick any skater I would like to able to skate like, it would be Michelle. No other skater has her connection to the music and the audience.

I totally agree with this statement! It's an emotional experience whenever I watch Michelle skate. I like the concept of the alternate universe by Mathman. In my alternate universe, Michelle would be two-time Olympic gold medalist. She would be three if it were not for the fact that Mao already came onto the scene in 2006. Since I love them equally, in my alternate world, Mao would be allowed to go and win in 2006. :biggrin:

Are you selling tickets to this universe of yours? Put me down for one. And after Mao wins in 2006, YuNa wins in 2010. That's a trifecta I'd love to see.

ashdustannie

Spectator
I would rather have Witt's career with the Olympic Golds and many World titles and overall dominance as well than either Kwan or Hughes.

Witt is one of skating's greatest stars but she's also a testament to how much luck factors into winning a gold at the Olympics. In terms of sheer skating ability very FEW skating fans would actually put her anywhere near the top best skaters of all time, even if we factor in the evolution of skating and its difficulty over the years. She was lucky to be skating in the era she did, period. Besides her charisma on the ice she had little that was special about her skating and was simply a mediocre skater compared to some of the best. and then there's her steroid use...

I would rather Yamaguchi's career with the Olympic Gold, World titles, and long and illustrious pro career than either Kwan or Hughes.

Who seriously cares about pro-competitions? Besides the fact that they're effectively dead. I'm sure there are some skating fanatics here who do care about them and no disrespect to Kristi's career but I digress. 13 million US viewers tuned in to the 1998 US ladies' nationals to watch Michelle's legendary victory there. These kind of blockbuster ratings for a non-Olympics skating event speaks for itself and is unheard of these days (2nd only to the US nationals after the Tonya and Nancy fiasco which was fueled by scandal and not by skating skills). Kristi was NEVER anywhere near as beloved or popular as Michelle, or had anywhere near the same level of press exposure and major endorsements, in fact she's probably more known for her dancing with the stars win than her skating these days.

Michelle's the only skater to consistently be voted yearly as one of America's 10 favorite female athletes even loooong after she stopped competing. she even made the list of overall top 10 most popular athletes (both sexes) after the 2002 Olympics. Kristi made the top ten of most popular female athletes during the year she competed in dancing with the stars, but dropped off immediately after that yet Michelle remained a constant on the list despite no major media appearances since 2006!

Most people talk about Michelle's 5 world championship golds but she also has 9 world championship medals overall, including 3 silvers and a bronze. Compare that to Kristi's mere 2 world championship medals. As if Kristi's success in the pro circuit even comes close to comparing with amateur world medals.. not to mention michelle's 9 US national golds vs kristi's mere 3 national golds :think:

Do I even need to mention the Figure Skating Reader's choice Award which is voted by fans, and how that award had to be renamed the "Michelle kwan trophy" because she won it an amazing 7 times?? The only other skater to win that award more than once was Johnny Weir and he only won twice! that award has been given out since 1989 btw which happens to be the only year kristi won

to the average american who doesn't watch skating, michelle kwan IS figure skating.

there have been other american female skaters that have been icons during their time, such as peggy fleming or dorothy hamill, but their reigns were much shorter. in a way michelle's failures helped to solidify her fame and longevity to a very fickle and forgetful american public throughout FOUR different olympics (she first garnered major press during the 1994 olympics as an alternate after the tonya and nancy debacle, and in 2006 even after she withdrew her withdrawal was the biggest story of those olympics in the US).

that in 2010 she still gets a spread/photoshoot in sports illustrated and a beautiful article says a lot.

I would rather Yu Na Kim's career being a trailblazer for her country and winning Olympic and World gold than either Kwan or Hughes as well. And if she were to win in 2014 I would rather Asada's as well.

So now we're potentially putting certain skaters' careers ahead of Kwan's IF they win an olympic gold in 4 years? I can see the pattern here, talk about reaching :sheesh:.
Yes, yu-na's quite special for basically becoming the queen of skating in a country with a lackluster skating history. I would say Michelle's dominance is also special in that she became famous when skating was at its most popular in the United States after the Tonya/Nancy scandal, in a country with one of the greatest skating histories. If Korea fails to produce another champion after Yu-na leaves, skating in Korea will surely die a quick death. It means all the more that someone like Michelle is one of the most beloved of all time in a country with a long and illustrious history in skating.

Last edited:
Though I'm an ardent Michelle fan (alert the media!), my admiration for her doesn't detract at all from my regard for Kristi. She's a wonderful skater in terms of consistency, longevity, and versatility. Let's not forget that she was a pairs skater as well as a singles skater and excelled in both. As for her pro career, she happened to have that career during a time when the pro circuit was a serious venue for substantial artistic innovation, and Kristi was one of the few skaters who retained her triples and presented them regularly. She's one of the few Americans who has the trifecta (World, Olympic, and National golds). She broke a 16-year-long OGM drought for American ladies. At the time, people were rather disappointed that she had so few endorsements, and some experts hinted that racism had a bit to do with it. There might be some truth to that: she was the first Asian-American OGM winner in the United States. Well, she was the first Asian OGM skater in the world, wasn't she? I think she paved the way for the Asian-American skaters who came later in terms of endorsements. I don't think any comparisons need to be made between her and Michelle. We're lucky to have both of them. They're both athletes and ladies, who have done the sport proud by their accomplishments on the ice and off.

ashdustannie

Spectator
The Michelle fan in me went over the top in my response. I like Kristi and her skating, it's just that I felt like while others were stating how Michelle's career was no less amazing without Olympic gold, compared to Tara's or Sarah's, (which I feel is fair to say in a thread dedicated to Michelle), it seemed like someone was coming in with their dislike of Michelle trying to minimize her achievements.

I'm well aware that Kristi brought something special to the pro circuit in that for a time she continued to do hard triples like the lutz even though she didn't have to, and I'm aware also that many veteran legends continued to develop artistically in the pro circuit, I just don't buy the idea (nor would most people I venture) that a pro title is on the same level as an amateur world title.

I'm Asian myself and growing up was quite frankly surprised at how well Michelle was embraced by the American media and public, but even she had to deal with that article that claimed "American beats Kwan".

Last edited:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Though I'm an ardent Michelle fan (alert the media!), my admiration for her doesn't detract at all from my regard for Kristi. She's a wonderful skater in terms of consistency, longevity, and versatility. Let's not forget that she was a pairs skater as well as a singles skater and excelled in both. As for her pro career, she happened to have that career during a time when the pro circuit was a serious venue for substantial artistic innovation, and Kristi was one of the few skaters who retained her triples and presented them regularly. She's one of the few Americans who has the trifecta (World, Olympic, and National golds). She broke a 16-year-long OGM drought for American ladies. At the time, people were rather disappointed that she had so few endorsements, and some experts hinted that racism had a bit to do with it. There might be some truth to that: she was the first Asian-American OGM winner in the United States. Well, she was the first Asian OGM skater in the world, wasn't she? I think she paved the way for the Asian-American skaters who came later in terms of endorsements. I don't think any comparisons need to be made between her and Michelle. We're lucky to have both of them. They're both athletes and ladies, who have done the sport proud by their accomplishments on the ice and off.

So true for both Michelle and Kristi.

May I add that I think there are people at this board and others who do care about pro skating (and wish there were still serious pro competitions (the ones in Landover, MD./DC, and the pro ams like Masters of Figure Skating). Kristi has been an outstanding pro in figure skating for years. While I am not diminishing her victory in DWTS (the only reason I watched the show that season was for her, I'll admit - I'm just not that big a TV watcher), I care much more about her contributions to figure skating (keeping up her skills as a pro, her work with her "Always Dream" foundation, etc.). I do think it's sad if the general public thinks of her more from DWTS than through all of her years as a skater.

Last edited:
The Michelle fan in me went over the top in my response. I like Kristi and her skating, it's just that I felt like while others were stating how Michelle's career was no less amazing without Olympic gold, compared to Tara's or Sarah's, (which I feel is fair to say in a thread dedicated to Michelle), it seemed like someone was coming in with their dislike of Michelle trying to minimize her achievements.

I'm well aware that Kristi brought something special to the pro circuit in that for a time she continued to do hard triples like the lutz even though she didn't have to, and I'm aware also that many veteran legends continued to develop artistically in the pro circuit, I just don't buy the idea (nor would most people I venture) that a pro title is on the same level as an amateur world title.

I'm Asian myself and growing up was quite frankly surprised at how well Michelle was embraced by the American media and public, but even she had to deal with that article that claimed "American beats Kwan".

Believe me, I understand! Sometimes the commentary on here can get a bit aggressive, and we feel we need to leap to the defense of our skaters. My friends who support soccer teams or baseball never believe that skating fandom is as intense as the supporters of "real" sports--they should see some of our threads! You know that I'm as eager a Michelle fan as you; she's at the top of all my lists. Even in the days of the phenomenal YuNa and Mao--both of whom I love and admire--I haven't seen the likes of her around.

Your point about Michelle's being a media darling, which she certainly is: I don't think it was just timing that garnered Michelle more ardent and widespread admiration than Kristi. In years of watching skating, I have come to the conclusion that Kristi is more comfortable being a bit under the radar. In her interviews, she was always quiet and rather guarded. The only time I saw her really lose it was after winning the Olympics, when she burst into tears (as anybody would!). There's a nice, solid, steady quality to her temperament, and I imagine she's a lot like this in real life. That's what her skating is like, too--light as air, strong, dependable, delightful, as fresh as a spring breeze. The fact that she came along when most people thought of "America's sweetheart" as looking like Dorothy Hamill is undeniable, but if she'd been more interested in that sort of thing, I bet she could have found a skilled publicist to put her out there. I think that was not something she was into.

On the other hand, Michelle has that extra x-factor that pulls people in. Not that she does it on purpose. She just has that charisma. It certainly shows up in her skating. She's an artist, a woman of mystery; she's almost the music itself. People like her don't come along every day. You can be a fan of hers or prefer someone else's skating over hers, but her magnetism is undeniable. Some people just have that. So she became "America's sweetheart" partly by timing but also because of some ineffable factor within her.

There was an article that says "American beats Kwan"? How painful, and how offensive! I think of America's nature as being precisely this--that we come from everywhere and we bring the world with us. I remember once noticing in my office that we had co-workers from six of the seven continents. Vive la difference!

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
There was an article that says "American beats Kwan"? How painful, and how offensive! I think of America's nature as being precisely this--that we come from everywhere and we bring the world with us.

Well, the way I see it...an American DID beat Kwan, right? Last time I checked, Lipinski and Hughes were American...Ironically, it happened in both 1998 and 2002- one of MK's fellow teammates pulled off the upset.

Never understood the big deal that was made. NOWHERE did I read in that title what some seem to be implying. It simply read to me that an American defeated her, which was true. Oh well-

Last edited:

ashdustannie

Spectator
There are a few who have raised that point but don't you think it's an awkward choice of wording for a headline? When you're using American beats X it is kind of strange to note one competitor's nationality and not the other, as the reader can easily make the assumption that x is not American in contrast. The argument could be made that they're highlighting that another American won, but imo at best it's ambiguous and at the least was a poor choice of words. Either way it caused a lot of controversy and obviously offended a lot of people.

Also this was during the 90's, which isn't the same as racist 50's america but it's also not quite like today. Any type of perceived slight was rightly dwelled upon, especially considering the history of media portrayal of asian-americans. Even a recent survey taken in the 2000's by Harris Interactive showed that out of all ethnic minorities, Asian-americans are still largely viewed as the "other" or "foreign", despite the many achievements and contributions they've made to american society.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
It was poor word choice, they should have used youngster or something similar. They were trying to make a big deal of an apparent upset, I don't think there was anything racist intended.

Headlines are one of the most difficult parts of writing an article, trying to tell teh story in just half a sentence is next to impossible. You want it to grab the reader and give them enough info to know what to expect.

It should have read Teammate defeats Kwan. But "American Olympic Champion" is what everyone wants to see. Editor should have caught it and didn't.

R.D.

Record Breaker
There are a few who have raised that point but don't you think it's an awkward choice of wording for a headline? When you're using American beats X it is kind of strange to note one competitor's nationality and not the other, as the reader can easily make the assumption that x is not American in contrast. The argument could be made that they're highlighting that another American won, but imo at best it's ambiguous and at the least was a poor choice of words. Either way it caused a lot of controversy and obviously offended a lot of people.

I guess I can concede that it wasn't the best way to phrase it (maybe "Fellow American Beats Kwan" would have been more PC?), but honestly, I saw nothing racist or offensive about it.

Last edited:
Here is the true irony. Four years after the Seattle Times wrote about how MSNBC had to apologize for the "American beats Kwan" headline, that same newspaper (the Seattle Times) itself ran the headline: "American Outshines Kwan, Slutskaya in Skating Surprise."

Then they had to "explain" their own headline, after criticizing MSNBC's.

This was especially embarrassing to the Seattle Times because that liberal newspaper has a long history of championing human rights and especially of building strong relationships with Asian-American groups in the Pacific Northwest.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I found this headline from the Seattle Times - Feb. 22, 2002

Hughes Good as Gold
American beats out Kwan, Slutzkaya

What if Irina had won and they ran this headline:

Slutzkaya Good as Gold
Russian beats out Kwan, Butyrskaya

Would the Seattle Times then be accused of slighting Maria (or any other Russian Lady who might have been in the competition)?

I don't think so. Is this partially about the use of the term "American" and how if can seem different at times compared to other descriptive terms for nationality?

If Jeff Buttle had won a big event and a headline said:

Buttle Good as Gold
Canadian beats Lysacek and Chan

Would such a headline mean that Jeff is Canadian and Patrick is not?

Last edited:

heyang

Record Breaker
I found this headline from the Seattle Times - Feb. 22, 2002

Hughes Good as Gold
American beats out Kwan, Slutzkaya

What if Irina had won and they ran this headline:

Slutzkaya Good as Gold
Russian beats out Kwan, Butyrskaya

Would the Seattle Times then be accused of slighting Maria (or any other Russian Lady who might have been in the competition)?

I don't think so. Is this partially about the use of the term "American" and how if can seem different at times compared to other descriptive terms for nationality?

If Jeff Buttle had won a big event and a headline said:

Buttle Good as Gold
Canadian beats Lysacek and Chan

Would such a headline mean that Jeff is Canadian and Patrick is not?

For me the difference in your examples is where they are published.

For American papers to headline 'Canadian beats Lysacek and Chan' is a case of an American not winning. If that same headline was in a Canadian paper, I'd find it to be denying Patrick's nationality, as well.

In the case of American beats Kwan as published by a US publication, it implies that Kwan is not American - for a casual Olympics watcher, they would presume that Kwan represented China. As an American headline, it would've been better to say American ladies win Gold and Silver, or Lipinski edges out Kwan for Gold.

janetfan

Match Penalty
For me the difference in your examples is where they are published.

For American papers to headline 'Canadian beats Lysacek and Chan' is a case of an American not winning. If that same headline was in a Canadian paper, I'd find it to be denying Patrick's nationality, as well.

In the case of American beats Kwan as published by a US publication, it implies that Kwan is not American - for a casual Olympics watcher, they would presume that Kwan represented China. As an American headline, it would've been better to say American ladies win Gold and Silver, or Lipinski edges out Kwan for Gold.

Thanks - and I pretty much agree with you.
What about the Russian example I used:

"Slutskaya Good as Gold"
Russian beats Kwan, Butyrskaya

Does the fact that Irina and Maria are both caucasians somehow make a headline like this acceptable?
Or does it still imply that Irina is Russian and Maria is not?

Thinking about this one could also consider that Michelle was much better known than Sarah. It might even be fairly factual to say that many Americans knew Michelle was American but did not know where Sarah was from.

I agree with earlier comments that the headline was poorly written. Whether the headline was intentionally racist or not is beside the point. At the best it is sloppy and for me the fact that it slighted a group of Americans makes it not only unfortunate but unacceptable.

MKFSfan

Medalist
I agree the titles were poorly worded, BUT like janetfan said, when I read/heard about it, I took it more as a slight towards Tara/Sarah, after all, everyone knows who Kwan is, but Tara and Sarah were the other "American" skater who beat Michelle. That's how I had interpreted it at the time and was kind of surprised over the outcry on the internet.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I agree the titles were poorly worded, BUT like janetfan said, when I read/heard about it, I took it more as a slight towards Tara/Sarah, after all, everyone knows who Kwan is, but Tara and Sarah were the other "American" skater who beat Michelle. That's how I had interpreted it at the time and was kind of surprised over the outcry on the internet.

^ This.

Big ado over nothing.

Mountain out of a molehill...