Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Kwan feature in Sports Illustrated

Custom Title

Re: Kwan feature in Sports Illustrated

Not to take anything away from Sarah or Tara, I'd also rather have Michelle's career (and her skills, technique, and musicality) than theirs. But then, that's why I'm a fan now and forever.

When I think of Michelle and Kurt, who can truly be called skating legends despite their respective lack of Olympic golds (and Kurt doesn't have an Olympic medal of any color), I think of movie luminaries like Garbo, Astaire, and Cary Grant. None of those three iconic film presences ever won a regular Oscar (though at least Astaire and Grant won special Oscars). On the other hand, Cher has an Oscar. Much as I enjoy Cher, there's no way she outweighs Garbo in terms of silver-screen legendary status.

Mashimaro on Ice

Michelle Kwan and Janet Lynn, arguably the two greatest ladies figure skaters, did not win the OGM, but I think not winning it made them even more legendary.

Down With It

Which skater's career one would rather have is just a matter of taste, IMHO. Don't think Hughes would trade her OGM for world championships, and MK, her world championships for an OGM. They had the careers they had, and both skaters have moved on to be (seemingly) happy in life. All's well that ends well, regardless.

MK will always have tons of fans, and I hand it to them for sticking by her through the disappointments. I always say, you have the "fairweather" or "bandwagon" fans that will jump on when the going is good, but as soon as the athlete messes up, either in performance or in personal life, these "fans" turn right back around and have at it. Or they'll vacate. The REAL fans are the ones that weather the storm, the ones that stick by the athlete whether he/she is on top of the world, or in the pits.

Custom Title

All I know is that no way would I want to skate like Sarah Hughes. I wish I could skate like Michelle, a Janet Lynn or Kurt B who are real true skating legends without that piece of medal. This is why I just look at the pictures and don't read these articles any longer. It's been years since I read a Kwan article because her whole career is diminished because of one medal that seems to go to someone who just stumbled on luck one day.

Quote Originally Posted by lavender View Post
    All I know is that no way would I want to skate like Sarah Hughes. I wish I could skate like Michelle, a Janet Lynn or Kurt B who are real true skating legends without that piece of medal. This is why I just look at the pictures and don't read these articles any longer. It's been years since I read a Kwan article because her whole career is diminished because of one medal that seems to go to someone who just stumbled on luck one day.
    I wish I could skate 1/10th as well as Sarah. You must be some terrific skater to throw out such a comment.
    BTW, who were you referring to that "just stumbled on luck one day." ?

Did you mean Tara in '98, or did you mean Sarah and Irina in '02?
    Did all three of them have "lucky skates" to finish ahead of Michelle in Olympic competitions?

Custom Title

Just my feelings..

My feelings - from back in '98 - still persist on some level and if I had been judging I would have placed Michelle first.
    2002 was different and part of me think's Michelle was a little lucky to even win bronze after one of the more lacklustre LP's of her career. I enjoyed Sasha much more than any of the others in SLC but her 4th place finish might have been right......

2002 and the "controversy" still seems odd to me. I thought Sarah outskated the others and deserved the OGM.

Custom Title

Another feeling is that Sarah was generously placed in 4th in the short. She rightfully won the long but I don't think Irina's long should have been ahead of Michelle.
    Last edited by lavender; 08-05-2010 at 11:17 AM.

Down With It

EIGHT YEARS ago people!!

can't come down to Earth prettykeys's Avatar

Switch Michelle Kwan's career titles around with anybody else, but let's say she won an Olympics with her two best skates of her life. Would you still prefer that other skater's career? Or do you guys prefer her skating and personal qualities? I'd always pick the quality of the performances over medals. Usually those two factors coincide, but when they don't, I much prefer the former.

In 1998 I have to put Tara over Michelle. Some of Michelle's fans say she was "reserved", but when I first saw that Olympic footage I thought she had an understated glowing expression that suited the music just fine--it's only in comparison to herself at her Nationals that same season that you can see a slight loss of radiance (the atmosphere at Nationals amplifies the impression, I think.) I give credit to Tara not because of Michelle's so-called reservedness (I would still have put Michelle 2nd if she skated exactly like at Nationals) but because Tara edged Michelle with the higher technical difficulty of her program--it was close, but when it's a near-tie between technical and artistic, I have to go with the technical athlete. It is a sport first, and the Olympics are a sporting event. What is especially regretful about it, however, is that Michelle would have won an Olympic gold with that performance in almost any other year.

Michelle is/was a tremendous skater with no real weaknesses and many strengths. I'm glad for her that she's looking forward to wonderful new horizons. However, I still don't think of the Olympics as "just like any other competition"; and the majority who medal/win are not merely lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    EIGHT YEARS ago people!!
    I believe that the universe divided at that moment into two parallel universes. In the real universe, Michelle won and lived gloriously ever after.

Unfortunately, somehow I got stuck over here in the other one.

Oh well.

can't come down to Earth prettykeys's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I believe that the universe divided at that moment into two parallel universes. In the real universe, Michelle won and lived gloriously ever after.

Unfortunately, somehow I got stuck over here in the other one.

Oh well.
    Well, the other you in the "real universe" is celebrating forever after.

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    I enjoyed Sasha much more than any of the others in SLC but her 4th place finish might have been right......
    I agree, I enjoyed Sasha. She was just a little spit fire and looked as though she was scared of nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by janetfan
    I thought Sarah outskated the others and deserved the OGM.
    In my non-technical eyes, Sarah appeared to be the winner. When Michelle fell, it was the gasp heard around the world.

Even after 8 years, it's still good to have our discussions about who should have won. Just think if no one ever talked about History, how boring.

Custom Title

Rehashing 1998...I thought Tara deserved to win on the 1st mark, but Michelle on the 2nd mark. I would've had them 5.9/5.8 Vs 5.8/5.9, so Michelle would've gotten the 1st from me. I was OK with Tara winning, more so because she did skate her very best, had lots of energy, but I cannot stand her body pumping style, distracting/low jumps and thought her programs placed too much emphasis on a little, excited girl. I felt Lyra was a more sophisticated, mature program that didn't require a speed demon, instead played up to the nuances of the music and showed off a more artistic elegance. So in a way, both programs fit their skaters. But I will admit Tara had a gusty jump layout and a more difficult FW section. I just felt it wasn't her time yet.

Rehashing 2002...Sarah deserved to win the night of the LP. Yes, she had cheated/UR jumps, but she also had the most spark, gave the performance of a lifetime and had great transitions throughout her program. BUT I think she should've been lower in the SP though, 4th place was a huge gift. Had she been even 5th, she wouldn't have won despite being 1st in the LP. So, by that logic, she was a very lucky OGM. I also thought Michelle deserved to beat Irina in the LP, even with the fall on the flip. I really hated Tosca even when clean, so the shaky, labored LP w/o her expected 3/3s just came across empty aside from the hair wrenching. I believe had we not had the Pairs fiasco, Michelle would've been 2nd in the LP and Gold overall. I enjoyed Sasha's SP, but her LP was so front loaded and empty, I lost interest after she sat down on the 3lz/3toe.

All that said...if I could be a big elite skater, I'd dream of Michelle's career. She loved competing, emotionally reached so many people and delivered gold worthy performances over and over, but had the misfortune of the stars aligning for two competitors on two special nights. In '98, had Tara skated 1st, before Bonaly, who's to say Michelle would've been less "reserved" (I thought Lyra called for some quiet personality, but she was free-er at Nationals) and I bet she'd have gotten some 6.0's for presentation. Tara/Sarah had the skates of their lives when it mattered most and that was it for them. I'm sure they treasure their moments and wouldn't trade for a thing. Michelle has admitted to being devastated by no OGM, but she also wanted to be a Legend and I believe she is. So, I guess either career will do!

Custom Title

I bought the magazine for the article today and I can't believe how close she actually came to entering the 2010 Olympic season. Choreo of a short program! That was something! I hope one day she can watch her 2002 Olympic long program.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast