Yuna's show coming to the U.S.: All That Skate L.A. Oct 2-3 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Yuna's show coming to the U.S.: All That Skate L.A. Oct 2-3

Here is the problem. Some people -- impossible as it may seem -- just don't get the sheer Kwanliness of Michelle Kwan.

Other skating stars are pleasant to watch (Lambiel, Joubert and Sale & Pelletier were mentioned), but I can honestly say that they have only about 80% of the Kwanliness of Michelle. :yes:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Here is the problem. Some people -- impossible as it may seem -- just don't get the sheer Kwanliness of Michelle Kwan.

Other skating stars are pleasant to watch (Lambiel, Joubert and Sale & Pelletier were mentioned), but I can honestly say that they have only about 80% of the Kwanliness of Michelle. :yes:

Is Karen's choreo possibly lacking a little "kwanliness" not to mention "Loriness" :)

Last edited:

prettykeys

Medalist
Personally, I like both vanilla and chocolate. And hot sauce--in certain dishes. :biggrin:

As an aside, even if someone makes a logically questionable and annoying statement like, "I was bored by the previous performance, making the next performance also seem boring" (usually a preceding boring performance makes the next one seem even more fabulous), I find it hard to insult the skaters themselves. Which is why I typically end up fighting with the poster and then accumulating warnings and infractions hehehehehe. But seriously, skaters don't deserve flack for the words or behaviours of some of their fans. Especially one who is supporting your #1 in her time of need! :)

Is Karen's choreo possibly lacking a little "kwanliness" not to mention "Loriness" :)
:rofl:

Andalusia

Final Flight
You kidding, right? I'll send you and the junior skater $100 each through Paypal if you can find anyone who can pull programs like Bulletproof. The program is way over their heads and over most senior skaters'. Gees. You seem disappointed about Michelle's performance, that's fine but why does it have anything to do with other skater's program? :rolleye:

I found Yu-Na's Bulletproof to be quite hideous, to be honest. The choreography was way overdone and she was doing her darndest to be sexy but she just doesn't have it. Michelle's numbers weren't well choreographed either, but she has a vibe that is just naturally more sensual.

lavender

Record Breaker
Lambiel, Joubert and Sale & Pelletier were mentioned

I'm so sorry but Joubert isn't even close to Lambiel...let alone Kwan even if he did okay in this show. Were there more hip movin in his programs:biggrin:

I have to admit as a big Michelle fan I don't like her programs this year..or Yu na' programs. I like her programs from last year way better. I wonder if they both spent enough time on all of their programs. They need to work on that Mariah Carey routine too.

Last edited:

SkatingAnalyst

On the Ice
I'm so sorry but Joubert isn't even close to Lambiel...let alone Kwan even if he did okay in this show. Were there more hip movin in his programs:biggrin:

I have to admit as a big Michelle fan I don't like her programs this year..or Yu na' programs. I like her programs from last year way better. I wonder if they both spent enough time on all of their programs. They need to work on that Mariah Carey routine too.

Ha ha...
You are a suicidal bomber... Let's stop it.

Pls behave like Mathman...he gets my respect...REAL KWANFAN

janetfan

Match Penalty
We will not pass this way again. :cry: I think that skating is not Michelle's number one priority any more, plus, at age thirty, she can't do the jumps that she could do at 17. Even in Michelle's most lyrical exhibition numbers, the technical highlights were a big part of the choreography and emotional impact.

Dorothy Hamill was still skating superbly at age 50 -- and she could still do her famous delayed Axel. :clap:

Peggy, Dorothy and Kristi had professional skating careers. They were still good at 30 because skating was still their priority. Michelle's skating looks good to me even if I don't care much for the music and think the choreo is just so-so. The truth is I think Michelle's artistry was always far more impressive when skating to more complex music.

But I still see some of the old "kwanliness" in her skating and Michelle will always be a champion in my eyes.

If Michelle has the time and interest I hope she will continue to skate at a few shows each year but would not be surprised if she moved on. Either way, I think her appearance in LA is good for skating, maybe a chance to relive old memories and to help her friend Yuna in her first ice-show being held outside of Korea. It is nice that skaters of different generations feel a connection and respect each other so much. :)

Someday Yuna will find herself in a similar position and I am sure the type of friendship she has with Michelle is something she will find herself sharing some day with a skater from the next generation.

Last edited:

lavender

Record Breaker
I love Michelle...there will never be another like her for me. I helps that no one that has come along is on that level. Michelle was it for me abut even as a real fan I can't realistically love everything she does. I think loving about 90% of what your fave does is a pretty good stat.:biggrin:

Of course I'm happy to see Kwan in anything at any time, but your point is well taken, Janetfan. Peggy, Dorothy, and especially Kristi trained on a regular basis. They didn't just rehearse for an individual program, I'm sure. I don't know at this point how much time and effort Michelle can put into her skating from day to day, or at least from week to week. The thing is, even without jumps, or with lesser jumps, a skater can produce a demanding, intriguing program, if there's a lot of great footwork along with spins, wonderful stroking, and other elements. But all those aspects of skating also take a lot of training. You can't just show up a week before a show and start working on it. So if that's all she's able to put into it, her skating will look empty even to us devoted fans.

I'm not saying that this is how she's approaching her skating. It's more that I'm asking. Does anyone know whether she's able to spend any time skating while she's in grad school?

aftertherain

Record Breaker
I'm not saying that this is how she's approaching her skating. It's more that I'm asking. Does anyone know whether she's able to spend any time skating while she's in grad school?

I think she said in an interview that she'll be graduating in May. I doubt she can do any "adequate" training while in grad school with term papers and traveling and all. *shrugs*

I'm just glad she's still happy to be skating, even if it is only in one or two (short) shows a year.

I find it hard to insult the skaters themselves. Which is why I typically end up fighting with the poster and then accumulating warnings and infractions hehehehehe. But seriously, skaters don't deserve flack for the words or behaviours of some of their fans...

An excellent point, actually.

sunny0760

On the Ice
The thing is, even without jumps, or with lesser jumps, a skater can produce a demanding, intriguing program, if there's a lot of great footwork along with spins, wonderful stroking, and other elements. But all those aspects of skating also take a lot of training.
Does anyone know whether she's able to spend any time skating while she's in grad school?

IIRC, once a week at her own East West Ice Palace? Which I think I read somewhere else but not sure. She must have been doing exercise on a regular basis, though. I was impressed by her defined abs at the show in July.;) She is fit. I am sure she can go through a few weeks rigorous training preparing for ice shows.

I don't think audience was bored during her performances. Many skating fans say they understood why Kwan is a legend when they saw her live. I think her footwork, spins and strokes were good. Her spirals were still impressive. But most of all, she has something most other skaters could not get by training - charisma, presence and the way to project herself to the audience. It even seems that many Korean fans and observers felt what her personality is like on and off the ice this time.:)

sunny0760

On the Ice
I found Yu-Na's Bulletproof to be quite hideous, to be honest. The choreography was way overdone and she was doing her darndest to be sexy but she just doesn't have it. Michelle's numbers weren't well choreographed either, but she has a vibe that is just naturally more sensual.

Well, I don't know.:eek: People have different tastes. I thought she was sexy enough.

As I had never expected to see some artistically(hey, what is artistry anyway?;)) challenged stuff, I was pleasantly surprised that that kind of choreo suited her well. The important thing is Bulletproof is different and something new as Lambiel said. She certainly made a lot of effort to move and dance like this. :thumbsup:

She will not stick to this line of work. She says she wants to do VARIOUS performances anyway. Hope she will without losing her technical exellence or suffering from injuries.

Daniel5555

On the Ice
For those who are interested - it will be possible to watch the show live on your computer, as it will be shown on SBS (Korean channel). You can watch SBS with a program called TVAnts. I don't know if many of you watched previous Yuna's shows (I mean, in a decent quality videos), but I have to say they are all fantastic. The ones with Michelle Kwan were especially fantastic.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
All That Skate LA will air live on Sunday, Oct 3 Seoul time beginning at 12:10 a.m.

There is a 13 hour difference with USA EST. So by my calculations it will air in the US on Saturday Night, Oct 2, at 11:10 p.m. Eastern Time and 8:10 p.m. Pacific Time.
(corrections are welcoome)

I recently downloaded TVAnts just for this occasion so that I will be able to view the live stream.

IIRC, once a week at her own East West Ice Palace? Which I think I read somewhere else but not sure. She must have been doing exercise on a regular basis, though. I was impressed by her defined abs at the show in July.;) She is fit. I am sure she can go through a few weeks rigorous training preparing for ice shows.

I don't think audience was bored during her performances. Many skating fans say they understood why Kwan is a legend when they saw her live. I think her footwork, spins and strokes were good. Her spirals were still impressive. But most of all, she has something most other skaters could not get by training - charisma, presence and the way to project herself to the audience. It even seems that many Korean fans and observers felt what her personality is like on and off the ice this time.:)

Thanks, Sunny. Those details make me feel good about Michelle's current approach to skating. I'm especially glad to hear that she has maintained her fitness level, which of course will help her maintain her skating skills. While I know she has other interests in life now, I'm selfish enough to want her to skate at least occasionally for a long time to come. As you say, she has something most other skaters could not get by training. Thanks for the details from the summer ice show. I do look forward to hearing reports from any GS posters who get to go to the Los Angeles show! I'll try to catch the show on TV--I hear it's going to be telecast in the States.

sunny0760

On the Ice
You're welcome, Olympia!:)

Anyway, this is a little off topic... I have a question.
Could anyone tell me what you think about Scott Williams as Michelle's 2002-2003 coach or as a skater or as an innovator?:laugh:

Never heard of his name before and just saw a few of his performances. As Yuna/ATS said her new coach would be a male, American and LA based, Scott Williams might be one of the candidates.

Regardless of his being able to coach Yuna, it is his views and perspectives that are intriguing to me.:)
http://www.goldenskate.com/articles/2002/012303.shtml

Scott: To me, the most exquisite quality Michelle has to offer is that she's not afraid to skate with her heart and soul. This takes a great deal of courage and is very rare. It doesn't come simply from technique, but rather from the way a person handles everything in their life.

Not sure if he would be a good technical coach... but if someone pursues variety of figure skating.