Yuna's show coming to the U.S.: All That Skate L.A. Oct 2-3 | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Yuna's show coming to the U.S.: All That Skate L.A. Oct 2-3

Hmmm. It says that Williams coached Amber Corwin. At one point she was just about the only American lady with a consistent triple-triple. So he must have some technical expertise. Did he coach Michelle through the Aranjuez program? (He mentioned music by Joaquin Rodrigo.) That sounds like a promising coach for YuNa.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
^^ Yes Scott did coach Michelle during her glorious 2003 season.

brownfox

On the Ice
As of today, all the front row tickets for both days have been sold out. YAY!

As usual I'll be waiting for the videos on the net. hehehe.

heyang

Record Breaker
Scott wasn't her coach for very long. I think she just wanted someone to be her 'eyes' until she found the right coach.

I agree with others - considering that Michelle's focus is not skating and she hasn't skated competitively since 2005, I didn't expect a lot of jumps or innovations. Kristi had a long pro skating career - since her retirement, you can see the difference at her annual show - she's still lovely to watch, but it's just not the same as when she was on ice every day. Anyway, Dorothy, Kristi, Janet Lynn, Katerina Witt, and Michelle, etc have a charisma and vibrancy that other skaters can't match. The joy in skating extends out to the audience.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Hmm, Ashley Wagner has curiously been added to the cast. Earlier this month, she withdraws from Nebelhorn (going on right now) apparently due to illness and resulting lack of preparation, and she has her first GP in Japan on Oct. 22. Wonder who's idea this was to do ATS and if it was a good one, particularly as she trains on the East Coast. On the one hand, participating in this show would seem to be disruptive to competition training, especially if she feels she is behind the curve right now. On the other hand, it is an opportunity to get her programs out there in front of an audience prior to her competitive season starting. That's assuming she will be performing her competitive programs at ATS. Anybody have thoughts on this?

Binthere

On the Ice
Scott Williams seemed to be a very calm coaching presence for Michelle at a time when she pretty much had everything together anyway but was coming off of a second Olympic disappointment. Since YuNa seems very much in the driver's seat with her career, this type of dynamic could prove sufficient.

Trewyn

Medalist
Hmm, Ashley Wagner has curiously been added to the cast. Earlier this month, she withdraws from Nebelhorn (going on right now) apparently due to illness and resulting lack of preparation, and she has her first GP in Japan on Oct. 22. Wonder who's idea this was to do ATS and if it was a good one, particularly as she trains on the East Coast. On the one hand, participating in this show would seem to be disruptive to competition training, especially if she feels she is behind the curve right now. On the other hand, it is an opportunity to get her programs out there in front of an audience prior to her competitive season starting. That's assuming she will be performing her competitive programs at ATS. Anybody have thoughts on this?

As far as I know Ashley has been a part of the LA show practically from the beginning; before she was added and removed from the Nebelhorn roster. I've also been wondering about the proximity of the event to her first GP; but I'm sure they've thought this through. ATS is a pretty high profile show; I can imagine Ashley feels honoured to be a part of it and I sure hope it'll be a positive experience for her! I don't know if she's going to debut any competitive programs there (well, debut is a big word, she's done summer competitions from which there is no video material); it seems likely doesn't it? It'll be really exciting if we could see at least one competitive program performed at ATS.

Binthere

On the Ice
The sport is so lucky to have someone with such star-power as YuNa to give life to the sport in terms of interest with a broader public. Having eligible skaters like Ashley participate seems like a smart opportunity as a chance to perform before a big audience seems valuable in its own way as far as preparation for the season is concerned

cosmos

On the Ice

The show program was released.
http://allthatskate.com/

Ashley: Ain't no other man.
Speechless.

sunny0760

On the Ice
Scott Williams seemed to be a very calm coaching presence for Michelle at a time when she pretty much had everything together anyway but was coming off of a second Olympic disappointment. Since YuNa seems very much in the driver's seat with her career, this type of dynamic could prove sufficient.

Thank you for your opinon, Binthere! And Olympia too!
Yuna will announce her new coach after ATS L.A show. Until then, what anybody else says is just speculation.

If Scott Williams is the choice, I will find it very interesting.;) I would like to imagine more experimental, innovative and creative Yuna.
Which one to choose may not be as important as it was 4 years ago but whoever is her coach, the choice will reflect what she thinks would be her future career.

sunny0760

On the Ice
http://www.allthatskate.com/2010LA/media/news_detail.php?bbs_data=aWR4PTIxJmNvZGU9ZQ
Interesting read. 8 skaters answered to the questions.

What is your favorite junk food?
Yuna Kim - “Korean snacks.”
I think she means Tokbokki and Sundae.
Tokbokki : rice/fish cake, red pepper - very spicy
Sundae : pork intestines, noodles etc (hard to explain):biggrin:

Who are you listening to on your ipod?
Johnny Weir - “Lady Gaga, Johnny Weir, Sergey Lazarev, Dima Bilan, Elton John.”

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I found something I'd love to see Michelle skate to in a show someday. It's a vocal piece, which is no problem in a show, and it would demand a kind of artistic subtlety and character portrayal that only a handful of skaters could imbue it with. It wouldn't need jumps to make it glow, I think, though the high D at the end would take something special--maybe a falling leaf.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqEe4ib1LDg&feature=related

(Beverly Sills, singing the Willow Song from an American opera, The Ballad of Baby Doe, set in Colorado during silver mining days.)

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
As far as I know Ashley has been a part of the LA show practically from the beginning; before she was added and removed from the Nebelhorn roster. I've also been wondering about the proximity of the event to her first GP; but I'm sure they've thought this through. ATS is a pretty high profile show; I can imagine Ashley feels honoured to be a part of it and I sure hope it'll be a positive experience for her! I don't know if she's going to debut any competitive programs there (well, debut is a big word, she's done summer competitions from which there is no video material); it seems likely doesn't it? It'll be really exciting if we could see at least one competitive program performed at ATS.

Ashley Wagner is basically replacing Sasha Cohen from the previous cast in Korea. A pretty big slap in the face to Cohen, no? What else does she have going on that she wouldn't be able to skate a show in Los Angeles - her home town?

janetfan

Match Penalty
Ashley Wagner is basically replacing Sasha Cohen from the previous cast in Korea. A pretty big slap in the face to Cohen, no? What else does she have going on that she wouldn't be able to skate a show in Los Angeles - her home town?

I think Evan and Sasha are both appearing somewhere else that weekend and were booked before ATS announced their LA dates.
Mirai had been booked for the JO so despite her injury she was not available.

Caroline is from LA and if anyone got slapped in the face it might be her. :unsure: :laugh:
Or the US Ladies Champion :cry:

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Ah, okay. Well then I'd definitely much rather see Ashley skate than Caroline Zhang (who needs to keep a metaphorical paper bag over her head until the technique is cleaned up) or Rachel Flatt (who needs to stop skating in general if she keeps going in the current direction...)

janetfan

Match Penalty
Ah, okay. Well then I'd definitely much rather see Ashley skate than Caroline Zhang (who needs to keep a metaphorical paper bag over her head until the technique is cleaned up) or Rachel Flatt (who needs to stop skating in general if she keeps going in the current direction...)

I think ATS had to be careful with the dates.
One reason is to keep Yuna eligible for Worlds and the other was to most likely get a date that would work for Michelle. If they could have picked another date that would have worked for Sasha and Evan but not Michelle I doubt they would have taken it.

Since Evan is busy it is nice for Johnny and his fans that they will get to see him skate.

Last edited:

cosmos

On the Ice
I think ATS had to be careful with the dates.
One reason is to keep Yuna eligible for Worlds and the other was to most likely get a date that would work for Michelle. If they could have picked another date that would have worked for Sasha and Evan but not Michelle I doubt they would have taken it.

Since Evan is busy it is nice for Johnny and his fans that they will get to see him skate.

Another reason was probably to get a date from Staples Center that is Lakers home.

Sasha, Evan, Alissa, Rachael are all scheduled on the same weekend.

Last edited: