Yuna's show coming to the U.S.: All That Skate L.A. Oct 2-3 | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Yuna's show coming to the U.S.: All That Skate L.A. Oct 2-3

Layfan

Record Breaker
Just blissful. How great to see Michelle try unusual steps and positions as well as a few jumps. And the duet is so lovely. Just to see the respect each of these champions has for the other is a delight. I can't wait to see the other performers. What a lovely gift YuNa has given to her new adopted city.

By the way, YouTube has (see below) a new Mercedes-Benz ad that uses the triumphant gesture of arms thrown up in victory to promote a car with flip-up doors. Among a bunch of other quick shots, they show Michelle at the end of a skate. So she still symbolizes American skating to a lot of people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2OYeS1npSk

I'd never seen Michelle's ending pose from that angle. Thanks, Olympia!

I can't thinking of anyone else who would symbolize American skating more than Michelle right now... I mean, aside from predecessors like Kristi and Dorothy.

Anyway ... yes, YuNa has given a lovely gift to skating in general. Her tour is fresh and hot and just what skating needs right now. I'm very impressed. Good for her for following up her Olympic triumph in this way.

It's interesting ... I've been afraid that Yuna might be forgotten in the non-skating fan, (Western) world if she didn't keep competing, which would be too bad for such a sensational skater. But if she keeps up this tour and it really takes off, she might truly become a legend and do more to bring attention to skating than any other Olympic ladies gold medalist since Kristi Yamaguchi.

I mean, Yuna already managed to bring back Michelle Kwan :biggrin:

Good point, Layfan! And I agree that YuNa seems to be able to make a contribution to skating whether she keeps competing or not. I think that must be a great load off her mind, giving her the power to make either choice for her future. And of course it's nice news for us, because we won't lose the chance to see her skate. A win-win situation for all concerned.

And, as you say, it gives Michelle a place to continue skating without giving up her other commitments!

I'm thrilled at the possibility of a revival for professional skating. I know that the general assumption is that the best skating is done in the eligible ranks, but it does us well to remember that during the 1990s, the previous peak of pro skating, there was some tremendously innovative skating done in pro skating, both in tours like Stars on Ice and in televised skating programs and competitions. Kurt Browning's magnificent "Singin' in the Rain," Gordeyeva and Kulik's duet for SOI, Underhill and Martini's torrid programs, and a lot of ice dance programs by people such as Klimova/Ponomarenko are but a few examples. I hope we're in for another run of such skating now, thanks to YuNa.

lavender

Record Breaker
Oh yes :love:
Also nice to see her 3T back, great flow out of it too!
It is such a joy to see someone so incredibly happy to be on the ice!She really smiled all the time and I love how good she is at using her arms and hands..simply beautiful.

Yes!!! Her triple toe looked awesome. It was such a pleasant surprise. I know if she wanted she could do others.

Like that commercial because it has my two favorite athletes ever. The only ones (and last) athletes that I've ever followed.

Last edited:

Layfan

Record Breaker
Good point, Layfan! And I agree that YuNa seems to be able to make a contribution to skating whether she keeps competing or not. I think that must be a great load off her mind, giving her the power to make either choice for her future. And of course it's nice news for us, because we won't lose the chance to see her skate. A win-win situation for all concerned.

And, as you say, it gives Michelle a place to continue skating without giving up her other commitments!

I'm thrilled at the possibility of a revival for professional skating. I know that the general assumption is that the best skating is done in the eligible ranks, but it does us well to remember that during the 1990s, the previous peak of pro skating, there was some tremendously innovative skating done in pro skating, both in tours like Stars on Ice and in televised skating programs and competitions. Kurt Browning's magnificent "Singin' in the Rain," Gordeyeva and Kulik's duet for SOI, Underhill and Martini's torrid programs, and a lot of ice dance programs by people such as Klimova/Ponomarenko are but a few examples. I hope we're in for another run of such skating now, thanks to YuNa.

Definitely. I have my hopes up. And ITA about professional skating. I'd like to see figures skating grow as an art form. It'd be great to see skating have repetoire like dance does. You know, programs that other skaters could learn and do for years to come, even after their original creators have retired. It's a pity that so many great programs are only seen for a few years and then never again, live anyway. And I think if programs were choreographed with that idea in mind they would become even more creative. Choreographers would strive to really create a timeless piece of art.
But then, I suppose figure skating is so much about the skaters themselves and their personal styles and different strengths. I'm sure few skaters would want to try, say, Michelle's East of Eden for fear of being unfavorable compared.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker

Word. I spent a bit of last night looking at youtubes of old Torvill and Dean professional programs done mostly mid-80's to mid-90's (i.e. Missing, Encounter, Hat Trick, Oscar Tango, Take 5, etc.). They are incredibly creative and 20+ years later, still stand the test of time. Even for the jumping disciplines of singles and pairs, as a pro skater, you don't need to keep up every triple to eligible competition standard, if you have something else to offer. (Though a few like Kristi manage to keep their triples going for years.)

However, I do think that unless shows can be produced at reasonable cost and tickets are offered to the public at reasonable prices, it's going to be a hard road back for shows, at least in North America. Also, the public wants to see REAL SKATING out there, not just a bunch of gimmicky and borderline-lewd programs--which it seems some of the pro and pro-am shows had been overly reliant on over the past 10 years.

Michelle -- age 30 -- can still get her leg up high enough to do her martini spin, just like when she was 13! :clap: :clap: :)

seniorita

Record Breaker
Today I decided to read the 2010 -11 rules and especially every single exception for spins(i didnt manage to finish, kudos to judges to remeber all this in 4.5 mins), but I m pretty sure from all variations I dont know what spin is called Martini:think::laugh:

Layfan

Record Breaker
Michelle -- age 30 -- can still get her leg up high enough to do her martini spin, just like when she was 13! :clap: :clap: :)

I know exactly what spin you are referring to :biggrin: I have to say I think it looks even better then it did in her final competitive years. (I'll have to go back and see what it was like when she was 13.) Somehow, Michelle seems even more flexible than before. I thought so watching clips of her in Korea, too. Amazing.

Today I decided to read the 2010 -11 rules and especially every single exception for spins(i didnt manage to finish, kudos to judges to remeber all this in 4.5 mins), but I m pretty sure from all variations I dont know what spin is called Martini:think::laugh:

It's the last spin she does, where she holds her right leg up to the side at about a 135 degree angle. As she spins around the shape is supposed to look like a martini glass (I guess her head is the olive). :)

Michlee after she has had one too many martini's

seniorita

Record Breaker
if you are reffering to winter song, then yes I understood which one:biggrin: Olive head, lol :laugh:Although I was so wowing at the Kwan spiral that nobody does is so well, i didnt pay attention to the end, and her charlotte :eek:
In hero song, I noticed some striking difference on how Michelle's arms position look so natural graceful without even trying, probably it is just a matter of preference, dont wanna upset the yuna fans.
Unfortunately most vids I ve seen from fancams cause youtube blocks them here due to music rights :bang:, I can download them I m just bored for now, it was too much skating things on weekend:cool:

Layfan

Record Breaker
if you are reffering to winter song, then yes I understood which one:biggrin: Olive head, lol :laugh:Although I was so wowing at the Kwan spiral that nobody does is so well, i didnt pay attention to the end, and her charlotte :eek:
In hero song, I noticed some striking difference on how Michelle's arms position look so natural graceful without even trying, probably it is just a matter of preference, dont wanna upset the yuna fans.
Unfortunately most vids I ve seen from fancams cause youtube blocks them here due to music rights :bang:, I can download them I m just bored for now, it was too much skating things on weekend:cool:

Thanks for bringing up the Charlotte spiral - Michelle does it well and it's one of her moves that doesn't get mentioned often. I guess because she was more known for her secure jumps and the change of edge spiral - which yes, she did as greatly as ever in the show. But I've always loved Michelle's Charlotte ...

I'm not sure how I feel about that duet, to be honest. I always thought Michelle and Yuna would look a bit odd skating together because they are so different. And I hate to say it but it's just ... cheesy. I like their four individual programs much better, especially Yuna's Meditation.