Johnny Weir article...o dear o dear | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Johnny Weir article...o dear o dear

Actually, I believe that might be Emma Watson. Harry Potter and the Half-blood Prince grossed a billion dollars US....

...beaten only by Zoe Saldana as Naytiri te Tskaha Mo'at'ite, princess of the Omaticaya, grossing $US 1.3 billion in 2009. :)

Zoe = the Lysacek of filmdom. :cool:

Yes, it was Emma Watson. I think she's the highest-grossing actress of the whole decade. But her Harry Potter cohorts were beat out for highest-grossing actor of the decade by a guy who co-starred in TWO huge franchises--Orlando Bloom. (Since he's near the top of my non-skating swoon list, I can't complain.)

I don't know what the skating equivalent would be. Someone who won both Worlds and Olympics every year?

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:mad::biggrin: blades... I love the way you bring film into the discussion , shoot down the guy who disagrees with your example ,then after getting your rebuttal in..declare whole thing too OT..:biggrin::biggrin: Way to win a debate;)

No Country for Old Men

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Hey, we can keep talking about it if people want to! Lord knows we've talked about Johnny enough by now.

Top 10 films of 2007: (I actually found this year underwhelming overall...the entire later part of the 00's, 2006-2009, is far weaker than the first half)

01. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
02. Redacted
03. No Country for Old Men
04. Atonement
05. There Will Be Blood
06. Black Book
07. Ratatouille
08. Persepolis
09. Into the Wild
10. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (was really surprised I liked this as much as I did because the novel was one of the weakest for me; the last 20 minutes of the film vastly improves on the book, though, and I think it's the best Harry Potter film to date)

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
I loved the diving bell and butterfly, apart from the story, because of the direction and the actors, they made a luminus movie despite the theme, so Icould bear see it again, have you seen The sea inside for example, that was tough to watch again ..
I thought 4 months 3 weeks..scratched the surface very little so it was quite "digestive" and acceptable for different ages and audiences, but I really liked I m not there, if only for Charlotte Gainsbourg and Ledger..
I must have seen Persepolis like 10 times by now, cant get over the animation work they did:)And the soundtrack is awesome!
Blades, I think so too Phoinix is the less good book by far and was so big and in scattered details that I had to go back and re read some stuff, but I like D's Army a lot in there. But HBP was the most disapointing movie for me, they skipped large parts of the book , like hocruxes and D's and Harry's bond to make it a teen movie. BTw I saw today in the cinema the trailer of the last one, part I:biggrin:

I m the queen of derailing threads, anyway I found this , Johny in AOI

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I agree, Blades (the Wier comment, not the film ones.). I'll pm you my thoughts on the films to avoid derailing the thread.

I think one thing that Blades keeps repeating, though, is worth mentioning in different terms. Blades top three at the Olympics were (and correct me if I'm wrong)

1. Takahashi
2. Kozuka
3. Wier

Something that we (and I do include myself here, so I'm not throwing stones) do often is use the judges favourites and than rank within those who we think is best. In many respects, we've internalized the judging strata that we hate - the "wait your turn" aspects. I don't think there's anyone here (outside of BoP) who thinks Kozuka deserves to be on the podium. Now, I do think there are genuine "on-ice" reasons why I wouldn't have Kozuka on the podium, but the big reason probably is that I don't really view him as a podium skater, and that's depressing.

I don't even really remember Wier's performance (largely clean, but largely boring was my only thought when I was actually watching it) nor Kozuka's. Nor Lysacek's, if we're gonna get nitpicky about it.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I don't even really remember Wier's performance (largely clean, but largely boring was my only thought when I was actually watching it)

That's exactly how I feel even though I've watched Weir's performance two or three times. I actually remembered some of Lysacek's performance. I remembered Plushenko's performance, and especially Takahashi's performance. (OT: Lysacek's DWTS were more memerable than his skating.) I remembered clearly about Kozuka's hands.

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
Blades, I think so too Phoinix is the less good book by far and was so big and in scattered details that I had to go back and re read some stuff, but I like D's Army a lot in there. But HBP was the most disapointing movie for me, they skipped large parts of the book , like hocruxes and D's and Harry's bond to make it a teen movie.

Seniorita, I love you. Half-Blood Prince is indeed the worst Harry Potter film (which is really sad because it's my favorite novel of the series). The script was just awful, turning the film into a Twilight-wannabe. The most interesting elements of the novel were stripped away and instead we got superficial teen romance. The final parts of the novel are so riveting, but in the film it's both poorly built up to AND poorly executed when it actually happens. I felt no emotion at all when Dumbledore died in the film and there wasn't even much excitement, despite the climax of the book setting up what could have been a stunning series of action setpieces on film.

Since this is a Johnny Weir thread, I'll switch back over to him now though. - Johnny's program was a tone poem. Tone poems never work if you're not in the mood or if you are unwilling to be taken into the mood. Now, granted, the program could have actually been a LOT better. But it wasn't any worse choreographically than Lysacek's program and at least Johnny tried to stay true to an artistic idea and performed with emotion and those smooth, smooth edges of his.

I respect the level of performance Plushenko brought to his LP as well and in terms of the jumps you can't deny he was the best (although not by much...the quality wasn't there compared to how well he used to jump). But I wish his skating skills hadn't deteriorated so much. He doesn't move across the ice with as much power as he used to. It would actuallyl be fair for him to win the Bronze, though, because they are so close and Plushenko did deserve a bit of a lead after the SP. Even though I greatly dislike what he did artistically in the SP, his jumps were by far the best of the field there and Johnny's SP wasn't great outside of the straightline footwork sequence.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Blades you want to transfer the talk to cafe and make thread about HP? I want to reply to many things you said :biggrin:or other movies!

Johny twit this morning ,About FOI show

So embarrassed my necklace broke in the middle of a spin. They had to stop the show to look for charms to be sure of safety. I'm sorry!!!!!!
:laugh:

sunny0760

On the Ice
Just saw Johnny's LP at olys.
:confused::confused: I wonder what is so special or exciting about it?
Almost clean? My impression is that his spin mistake definitely ruined the flow and very noticeable.
Was there any interesting choreography there? So long and predictable preparation for jump and jump...

Some of you may be overly delighted that he finally pulled it off at the big stage even if his skating had been staggering for quite a while. His fans can praise him as much as you like. But I don't agree that this was a podium worthy or higher PCS worthy program/performance.

Just my opinion and I am not an expert.

Anyways, congratulations on the award.:) Want to know why he is receiving it. Has he contributed something for human rights? I thought he has always said about himself but I hatve not read all the articles about him. Maybe there was definitely something beneficial for others too in what he did and said. Please let me know.

He is very eloquent... more than anyone else in this field and he certainly has a talent to draw people's attention all the time. If he is using these talent for good cause, it will be good for him and the world.

prettykeys

Medalist
Johnny in Vancouver, in my memory, was very good. I remember a lot of "space" in his choreo (some would call it "emptiness" I guess), but somehow it was meaningful space. When he finished his LP I felt like I was waking from a dream.

I don't get No Country for Old Men. Will someone explain, in the Cafe?

janetfan

Match Penalty
Johnny in Vancouver, in my memory, was very good. I remember a lot of "space" in his choreo (some would call it "emptiness" I guess), but somehow it was meaningful space. When he finished his LP I felt like I was waking from a dream.

I don't get No Country for Old Men. Will someone explain, in the Cafe?

Some of the best 6.0 programs often had this "meaningful space" that you liked about Johnny's program.
A favorite skater of mine was Chen-Lu and her programs by Sandra were just wonderful in their pacing and the mood they created.

We hear it too often but Lulu at times really did "cast a spell" over an audience with her understated elegance. When I saw her Live this was even more pronounced and I swear it felt like you could hear a pin drop in the arena when she was skating.

Part of this must come from the skater and part from the choreographer.

Here is Lulu's Rachmaninoff from '96 Worlds - to this day one of my all-time favorite LP's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCRaoNfU0r8

I did like Johnny's LP in Vancouver and was surprised he was not scored higher. I don't think he was given enough credit for what he did on the ice. I thought his mistakes were minor and that the overall effect of his skating was very good. Better than Patrick or Stephane that night - but not sure about the medal winners.

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
johnny in vancouver, in my memory, was very good. I remember a lot of "space" in his choreo (some would call it "emptiness" i guess), but somehow it was meaningful space. When he finished his lp i felt like i was waking from a dream.

EXACTLY. :agree:

My impression is that his spin mistake definitely ruined the flow and very noticeable.

I don't think it ruined the flow at all. It was a very minor technical mistake, he didn't touch down to the ice or awkwardly step out of the spin, he just had to break out early in a bit of a hunched position. He actually hit an accent of the music (which had changed to a forlorn tone) when the early exit from the spin happened so, really, that was probably a better interpretation of the music anyway!

EricRohmer

On the Ice
Last edited:
War and peace

The discussion on war and peace has been moved to the Politics subforum of the Cafe. If you want to pipe up about this topic (I do! I do!), please join in.

You must have 100 posts on the board in order to post in the politics forum. If you don't have 100 posts yet, post a bunch of times about Adelina Sotnikova's Lutz to run your count up to 100.

This thread in the Edge will now return to its original topic, to wit, favorite films of 2007. :)

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just wondering if anyone saw Johnny on Rachel Zoe??? I love Johnny but he is a rather strange bird!!!

Also, let's beat another horse to death.