Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: competitors

Han Yan (CHN) won gold at JGP Istanbul last year as a 13-yr-old:
    http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00012352.htm
    It's too bad he didn't get to do another JGP, he would've probably qualified for the JGPF and done well there!

He's really, really good, only 14 years old (13 in the video)!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT4tOqcmBF8

Given this is only the third event, hopefully he'll get two this year. He should be a contender for a medal here in Graz.

Quote Originally Posted by feraina View Post
    I know. It's a crazy strong field. There's also Zijun Li from China, who has all 5 triples, as well as 2A-3T. It will be a very interesting competition!
    Here's Zijun's new SP, skated at Shen/Zhao's wedding in Beijing recently. She fell on her 3F in a puddle, where Mao Asada, Pang/Tong, and many other skaters also fell. The rink was apparently very warm, and the ice quite slushy. Otherwise, I think it's a pretty good program for her. Age-appropriate music that shows off her youth, line, and grace. There's a long stretch of the footwork sequence on one foot, very impressive for a 13-yr-old. She reminds me a little of Mao Asada at that age, though of course without the 3A (but she does have all 5 triples, a 2A-3T, a 3T-3T, and is working on a 3F-3T).
    http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/8Og_IiHeBbg/

A wonderful video of Christina Gao's LP from Skate Detroit:
    http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTkzMDA3NTQ4.html

She looks really good here in terms of coverage, speed, and expression (maybe because of the angle of the video on youtube). It's interesting how much she reminds me of Yuna Kim. They are both lanky and slender. And like Yuna, she has textbook jumps, and she even shares with Yuna some small gestures/mannerisms. But she also shares the lack of extension, toe point, turn out, etc: in footwork, in layback spin, etc. It's really uncanny how much they look alike. Maybe Christina is the real reason Yuna and Brian had problems? Anyway, not to start any rumor...

But I do think that Christina has a good chance of winning both of her JGP's and the JGPF, and then getting on the podium at National's. I have a hunch that this year's National's podium might be Mirai, Christina, Caroline, and Ashley -- in that order. Maybe Rachael will drastically improve, maybe Alissa will finally find some consistency under the new coach, maybe Zawadszki will make leaps and bounds in presentation (as Christina has over the summer, apparently). Well, let's see!

Custom Title
    Gao, 2 strong russians, one ladies from canada, and fujisawa from japan.

looks like this game will be hard for young ladies.

Here's a video of Yukiko Fujisawa's junior FS from the latest Japanese National's:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p2rW-LFLlU

I can't believe a program with 7 triples, 3 2A's, amazing spins, spirals, and footwork, skated almost completely clean, with good presentation, edging, skating skills, extension, etc. only got 3rd in the junior level! (And later she placed 10th in Seniors.) Who *won* that competition??
    (ETA: Kanako Murakami, of course, good for her to hold her nerves against such a tough field! 2nd was Haruka Imai.)

That's just insane! Japanese ladies' field is soooooo deep. Sochi 2014 looks like a it will be a serious three-way contest among lots of talented Russian, Japanese, and (hopefully) US ladies.

Custom Title
    I'm curious to see how Christina, Yukiko and Adelina will do here! I don't know how Yukiko and Adelina look right know, but Christina's progress impresses me so much. She became really beautiful skater.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Eris View Post
    I'm curious to see how Christina, Yukiko and Adelina will do here! I don't know how Yukiko and Adelina look right know, but Christina's progress impresses me so much. She became really beautiful skater.
    And Polina Agafonova She is Junior Worlds bronze medalist after all, who beat Adelina at Junior Nationals and Christina at Junior Worlds.
    Adelina was impressive at the test skates though, I expect her to do really well

Custom Title
    Adelina Sotnikova looked very good at the test skate in Russia. Did a 3Lz-3Lo Combination which was checked by the technichal panel, but all say, that it was really clean!
    Polina Agafonava was not in her top form from Junior Worlds last year, but it was reported that her form is OK.

It will be interesting, how Adelina can handle the pressure! It can help her, that there are so many other junior girls who are really great ... and nobody will say "she will easily win it" ...

Custom Title
    here is a clip of another japanese skater,Ayumi Goto,who has second 3 and coached by mr.nagakubo.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbVfT...eature=related
    she has a chance if she does well.

Custom Title
    This field looks so strong ... really hope that all the girls can skate their best!!

I am really intresting how Julia Pfrengle will do. One of the biggest talents we have in Germany. Last season she was 10th at Junior Worlds. Especially in the Short she can do really well. She have no Lutz or Flip now, but in the Short she can do 3T-3T!, 3Lo and 2A. She also have strong pirourettes. So, come on Julia and show what you can!

Custom Title
    we havent seen any second-3lo skaters for long time, so hope i can see it next week.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by ayayukiituka View Post
    here is a clip of another japanese skater,Ayumi Goto,who has second 3 and coached by mr.nagakubo.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbVfT...eature=related
    she has a chance if she does well.
    I think Goto could definitely be in the final group... she seems inconsistent and didn't have a lutz last season but 8th at nats is really good! She could come through in the end. I really want Fujisawa to do well, last season wasn't that great for her but I think it's because she has injured her leg during the summer and that kind of threw her off for the whole season. I hope she comes back this season refreshed and lands on the podium!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by malo42 View Post
    I think Goto could definitely be in the final group... she seems inconsistent and didn't have a lutz last season but 8th at nats is really good! She could come through in the end. I really want Fujisawa to do well, last season wasn't that great for her but I think it's because she has injured her leg during the summer and that kind of threw her off for the whole season. I hope she comes back this season refreshed and lands on the podium!
    Goto can do the flutz. She landed one at Chubu regionals of last year. Reduction of the negative GOE would make it better than a 3S.

1st place Suzuki, 2nd place Goto
    http://www.skatingjapan.jp/National/...4/data0205.pdf

Fujisawa scored 141+ pts at a local competition in August with junior programs. I'm sure she'll do better than last year.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by NMURA View Post
    Fujisawa scored 141+ pts at a local competition in August with junior programs. I'm sure she'll do better than last year.
    I hope so and think that's likely. However, Graz is a deep field, and even if she skates really well there, she still may finish behind the likes of Sotnikova, Gao, and Agafonova.

Thank God for Stephane Lambiel and Matt Savoie! shine's Avatar
    Fujisawa is definitely a better SKATER than Agafonova. Of course she hasn't got Polina's jump difficulty. But we'll see.
    This field is crazy! I'm rooting for personal favs Fujisawa and Zijun Li to do well! But I predict that Sotnikova and Gao will get gold/silver.
    Last edited by shine; 09-12-2010 at 08:34 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast