Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Attention AOL Users

Exclamation Attention AOL Users

Please take the time to read in order to prevent your account from being suspended in the future.

The Golden Skate forums have various features that, if enabled, will result in the system sending you email. These include:
    • Receive email from administrators
    • Receive email from other members
    • Notification of new replies to subscribed threads
    • Notification of new Private Messages
    You can control which of these are applied to your account by using the "Edit Options" section of the User Control Panel. Here's a direct link to make it easy (you must log in first).

The AOL email program has a "Report as Spam" button which allows users to easily report spam. Actually it allows users to report ANYTHING as spam.

If enough email from the Golden Skate forums is reported to AOL as spam, then AOL will just dump all email coming from the Golden Skate mail servers as well emails coming from our host's servers.

This is also one explanation for why emails that are sent to you from various sources might not arrive. If you have any questions concerning the procedures for reporting messages and the action that AOL takes, contact AOL.

In Summary:

Any AOL user who uses AOL's "Report as Spam" feature to report Golden Skate forum emails will have their account suspended indefinitely.

Thanks for your cooperation!

Tripping on the Podium

Thanks

Thank you Paula. I like your web page, but don't get to the Forum as often as I should. Being the old "Buzzard" I am I do not always look at some of the young comments fans give. And that is ok. I do like your newsletter and always look at several of the things on it. You do a great job. It is a great service to skating fans and I say Thank you very much!!!

I do follow the program results. I have the grand prix and US Nationals and will get the worlds when they are up. I watched the program last night and was very happy for Evan L. Johnny had a had some problems, but gave it his all. I do not know what happened to Timmy, but it must have been in the short progam.

I do not use AOL but am on a T1 line from the state that connects the county. I am 80% retired but work a day a week for the Environmental Service Office doing Feedlot records, a Feedlot Flunky and printing different county maps with an "Arc View" progam, Then I am an "Arc View Flunky". I consider that a big promotion, I have worked for Sibley County for about 48 years so they cut me a little slack.

Again thank you so much for your program, and GOD bless you, MinnMan

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Paula, I have AOL, and don't use the report as Spam button, except for Nigerian Scam letters. However, when I review my Spam folder, every once in a while a goldenskate letter is in there. I hit the THIS IS NOT SPAM button. I don't know why AOL occasionally does this (today's did not show up as SPAM)

Tripping on the Podium
    I received an e-mail telling me that my account was suspended, and directing me here. However, I don't even have AOL. Am I missing something? Maybe not reading carefully enough?

Sorry if this question is actually really dumb, I just feel out of the loop. Like I've missed a crucial plot point in the movie.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI
    Paula, I have AOL, and don't use the report as Spam button, except for Nigerian Scam letters. However, when I review my Spam folder, every once in a while a goldenskate letter is in there. I hit the THIS IS NOT SPAM button. I don't know why AOL occasionally does this (today's did not show up as SPAM)
    I have the same problem. Mine did show up in my spam folder and it doesn't most of the time. I just turned it off. I'll have to see how much more spam I get now.

The mass email sent out to AOL users that are members of the Golden Skate Forum was to direct them to this message (above) and inform them of the issue.

Golden Skate is not the only one affected - it's global.

This is a serious issue and to prevent confusion, I'm making every effort to inform AOL users and to encourage them to investigate further as it affects ALL of their correspondence from everyone.

Rinkside
    I don't have AOL, but I was sent a message from Golden Skate that linked to this thread and instructed me to read it to prevent my account from being suspended. I just registered here for the first time when World's started. I don't know if my computer is somehow reporting spam, but I don't see how it could be.

Rinkside
    I was directed to this message also. I too do not have AOL. I have not had any messages marked as SPAM. Is there a particular reason that I would have been directed here?

Down With It
    I have AOL but have never reported any mail from a GS server as "spam". However, some GS messages have wound up in my spam folder (AOL puts it there, I don't do anything) and if I want to read it, I just hit "this is not spam". Otherwise I just delete it.

Should we always remove (say it's not spam) any letters from GS that might get dumped in the Spam folder?

Rinkside
    Paula, this is the first message I have gotten from Golden Skate and it did not go into the spam folder but I have added that e-mail address to my list so no others will go into spam by mistake. Just thought I would let you know. By the way I have really enjoyed reading your forum, I don't tend to post very often on any forum but sometimes I do.

Tripping on the Podium

Snow

Maybe we can blame it on the snowstorm that hit southren Minnesota yesterday. They had about an inch in the northern part of the Cities and 7-8 in the southern part of St Paull. We had 8 to 10 inches in Gaylord and I think 21 at Kiester Minn. They had snow up to their kiester in Kiester.

At any rate, I hope I continue to get Golden Skate Newsletter. It is great.

How did all of you like the Worlds last night??????????? I am an Irina fan, so I thought it was great. I think I got to be an Irina fan when Dick Button kept putting her down for the way she skated.

GOD bless you all, MinnMan,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Old John

Custom Title
    I am still using AOL 5.0 so I don't even have any spam buttons=I'm still in the dark ages=but Paula have no fear=I never open any mail I get if I don't know the sender=I delete it.and if I do open one and notice it's not addressed to me then I delete it.

cb

On the Ice
    AOL is nasty. I stopped using it a long time ago. This just let me decide to dump it off my system. Yahoo started something strange, too, made me keep on reregistering every 2 to 4 weeks because it began to kick back the emails from the couple of groups I used. I just stopped the sending of emails and just go to the groups to check out the posts.
    It is almost as nasty as Real Player which takes over the video viewing of your computer and will not let any other video player system, avi or wmv exist to play what you download. I dumped that too. Got lots of videos anyway.
    I cannot tolerate this kind of bully internet control stuff.
    I hope people catch on and everyone dump AOL.
    Last edited by Gregor; 03-20-2005 at 12:47 AM.

Rinkside

Question Suspension?? Email was not very clear.

Quote Originally Posted by gsk8
    The mass email sent out to AOL users that are members of the Golden Skate Forum was to direct them to this message (above) and inform them of the issue.

Golden Skate is not the only one affected - it's global.

This is a serious issue and to prevent confusion, I'm making every effort to inform AOL users and to encourage them to investigate further as it affects ALL of their correspondence from everyone.
    I understand what you are trying to do here, however, after reading the email that you sent, it is not clear wether or not my account was previously suspended, and if so, why?

One thing I can say for certain is that during Worlds my account was 'suspended' intermittently. The majority of the time I could not get into the site. Needless to say, that was a major disappointment.

Since becoming a member here I have been mainly using Verizon's broadband service, and prior to that it was ATT dial up. Your email, and this thread, thus far has made no comprehensible attempt to explain why some non AOL users may have been suspended, or if they were in fact suspended at all.

There were a couple of members who stated that they were not AOL users and posted similar questions. The closest semblance of an explanation was that non AOL users may have lost email or IM communications from (or to?) AOL users.That statement does nothing to answer why non AOL users may have been (or will be) suspended, unless of course we qualify in a '6 Degrees Of Seperation' kind of way.

From your own explanation this is an AOL users issue, yet I have not read anything excluding those of us who are not, as we all received the same suspension notice. Heck, I still can't understand what that has to do with potential or past suspension of a non AOL members account.

Understandably, mass emails from GSF are easier when dealing with a large membership such as yours, but there should have been a statement in there to the effect of ' please disregard the suspension notice if you don't use AOL.' Unless I'm missing something, the suspension only applies to those AOL users who report GSF mailings as SPAM. The issue of lost communications is mentioned but that's still a far cry from explaining the suspension quote that was in the text of my email. It read as though I was already suspended but then goes on to describe a situation that exludes me, but does so with absolutely no exclusionary clause.

OK, now I'm really confused, and apparently I'm not the only one.
    Are ALL GSF members in danger of being suspended over this issue, including non AOL users?

I've rambled on for way too long;
    Please clarify for those of us who just don't get it. Thank you, this site rocks .

Amanda

Mass email

No one has been suspended.

The subject and body of the email was simple and clear:

Golden Skate Forum (ATTN: AOL Users)

Please take the time to read thie important message at the URL below in order to prevent your account from being suspended in the future.
    http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9061
    Thanks for your understanding and cooperation!
    ______

I apologize for the mass email but it was intentional. Many people have more than one email account and some even use forwarding features to and from AOL accounts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast