Thread: To Auction or Not To Auction

Question To Auction or Not To Auction

The college is hosting a winter silent auction to raise $$ for the fun stuff we like to do... anyway any student or staff member can submit their art... and my prof is "strongly suggesting" that I submit a couple of my pieces... the artist gets 70% of any monies made... I'm not sure I want to sell any of my photos just because what if they DON'T sell? I'd feel so embarassed! Anyway here are the two that are being pushed by my prof for me to enter... what do you all say?

I'll start the bidding with $10.00 each. I am serious. Now you don't have to worry about them not selling.

On the first picture, the way you captured the light on the leaves shows a real eye for this type of photography.

Mathman

Mathman you are so sweet! it would be soooooo neat if these were online as well I think I could just get people to have pity and buy something off of me LOL

seriously though I'm so mad at the way these pics scan... they look so much better

I think it's because I have really glossy paper and I think my scanner gets a lot of "feedback" from them... *sigh*

Sell sell! These are lovely pictures. And don't be embarrassed if they don't sell. All great artist must at one time or another be rejected

All kidding aside I think those pictures show that you have a talent in photography.

Custom Title
    I'm not an art expert or anything, but I like the first one more than the second and that's because the second has telephone wires or whatever obstructing its beauty. They are beautiful and probably more so than how they look here. Good luck!

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    You will never know until you try.

Originally posted by Suzy
    I'm not an art expert or anything, but I like the first one more than the second and that's because the second has telephone wires or whatever obstructing its beauty. They are beautiful and probably more so than how they look here. Good luck!
    Suzy -- I was also very unhappy with teh second print because of the power lines... however my photo prof says it's her favorite print of mine... it sort of brings the viewer back into this sense of reality. I told her that personally all it did was distract me, and she told me I was too hard on myself(not the first teacher to say that by anymeans! LOL)

"I'm not an art expert or anything, but I like the first one more than the second and that's because the second has telephone wires or whatever obstructing its beauty. They are beautiful and probably more so than how they look here. Good luck!" -- Suzy
    "Suzy -- I was also very unhappy with teh second print because of the power lines... however my photo prof says it's her favorite print of mine... it sort of brings the viewer back into this sense of reality. I told her that personally all it did was distract me, and she told me I was too hard on myself (not the first teacher to say that by anymeans! LOL)
    Toni, I'm with your professor on this one. That picture is my favorite of the five that you have posted so far. To me the telephone wires are like, man in harmony with nature, or something like that.

Mathman

Toni..........they're both great..........I'd bid on the snow scene in a heart beat...........42

Custom Title
    I don't think the power lines interfere in the second photo at all. In fact they become a design element to help corral where the viewer's eye travels. Coupled with the snow-covered log in the foreground and the two tall trees on either side of the log it creates a frame. The light and shadow pattern of the snow and the fir tree pull the viewer's eye directly to the center of interest, the little shed. Just my two cents worth.

Sal-Kowabunga!
    Toni,

I say go for it. You are a very artistic person. We've seen many examples here at GS. Don't be so hard on yourself! Artists seem to be their own worst critics.