Announcements section necessary? | Golden Skate

Announcements section necessary?

sorcerer

Final Flight
Comparing to when I first joined the GS forums, it seems that the Edge is getting rather inactive.

There used to be no separate Announcement section, and to me this separation is one of the reasons the Edge is becoming inactive.

Is it unrealistic to consider merging announcements back into the Edge?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
There used to be no separate Announcement section, and to me this separation is one of the reasons the Edge is becoming inactive.

The announcements section has always been a part of this board.

sorcerer

Final Flight
The announcements section has always been a part of this board.

Ah yes now I remember.
But it was once announced that certain information should move from the Edge to the Announcements IIRC.
Announcements section used to be only for private purposes or something like that, no?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Icenetwork has no reciprocal arrangement with Golden Skate; consequently, posts that link to icenetwork articles are moved automatically to "Announcements", where for some reason, many of our posters don't go and start a discussion. Universal Sports, for example, does. Ice Network does not.

However, if anyone wanted to start discussion of a particular item in The Edge, they could of course, link to the Announcement thread. Or they could just say "icenetwork has an article entitled & so forth in their post in the Edge.

As an example of this technique, I have just posted a thread on the Edge on Khokhlova & Andreev.

Last edited:

sorcerer

Final Flight
Thank you and okay so it is; but aside from the reciprocal link problems with commercial sites, all skate related public knowledge concentrated into one single access seems more user-friendly to me ....

Anyway, there must be some reason that the forum is comparatively inactive these days...

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The creation of the Announcement folder came about when posters came onto the board only to post links to their sites/info without any reciprocation to GS and/or active participation otherwise on the board. In short, spam. Some sites actually refuse to even mention or provide a small text link to GS, but have no problem coming to the board to post their info. The GS Forum is not a vehicle to be used to promote other sites unless there is an existing relationship (i.e. Universal Sports).

Some announcements are simple fanpage updates (i.e. FSOnline) who we also have a relationship with, but these do not belong in the Edge. I also welcome and encourage any charity shows/events in the announcements.