Kurt's House Goes Up In Flames! | Golden Skate

Kurt's House Goes Up In Flames!

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Good that nobody was hurt. Hopefully no irreplaceable personal possessions were destroyed either, although I'm guessing some must have been with how large the fire was described. My thoughts are with him.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
first of all, wow... didn't see Browning as a "mansion" type lol Lodge, yes, Mansion... no...

second, the whole Nanny thing still bugs me... but that's just a personal pet peeve...

third, I love how everyone interviewed use his full name... you know you're a celebrity when everyone feels like they have to use your full name instead of "him" or whatever LOL

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Wow, first I heard of this. The National news on CTV just mentioned the story as I am writing this. How is that for timing? I wondered why I never heard anything about it until now. Poor Kurt and family. Thank goodness no one was injured.

sillylionlove

Medalist
Ok...I feel bad for Kurt glad to hear that no one hurt and things can be replaced...but according to one of the articles it says that someone was using a leaf blower to dry car seats while the car was in the garage...I don't even know where to begin on this one..first who uses a leaf blower to dry car seats and last time I checked leaf blowers use gas and you are not suppossed to use gas things in a closed space.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Ok...I feel bad for Kurt glad to hear that no one hurt and things can be replaced...but according to one of the articles it says that someone was using a leaf blower to dry car seats while the car was in the garage...I don't even know where to begin on this one..first who uses a leaf blower to dry car seats and last time I checked leaf blowers use gas and you are not suppossed to use gas things in a closed space.

yeah it wasn't one of the brightest moves :laugh:

as I said on the nanny issue - it's just a personal pet peeve. she's a live in nanny - ie always there - whether or not she works 24/7 I don't know, but it just bugs me. and it's not just because it's Kurt and Sonia. I have friends who were nannys in North Carolina to pay for school, so the inside look isn't always too peachy (though one of them nannied a girl who was friends with Kristi Yamaguchi's oldest, that was cool).

Arianne

On the Ice
Thoughts and prayers go out to Kurt and his family. What a terrible thing to go through. He has a great attitude, and that will pull him through!

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So sorry about this terrible news, but thank goodness no one was injured. My thoughts and prayers go out to Kurt and his family.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
I think they were possibly trying to be politely vague about WHO was using the leaf blower to dry the convertible; what do you all think?

Quotes from the linked article (all emphases mine):

"Toronto Fire north division commander Bob O'Hallarn said it appears someone was using a leaf blower to dry the seats of a convertible auto parked in the garage.

The leaf blower was apparently left unattended and when the homeowner returned he found the car in flames, O'Hallarn said.

O'Hallarn said Browning was in the home with a son and a house painter when the fire broke out.

O'Hallarn said Browning grabbed an extinguisher and tried to douse the flames but by the time firefighters arrived, flames had spread into the house.

[end of quoted material]

And then it goes on to report the neighbor saying he saw Kurt apparently calling the emergency squad on his cell phone. Unless it was the house painter who was using the leaf blower and left it unattended and Kurt happened upon it before the house painter returned, it sounds like Kurt himself was trying to dry the car???

Not that it matters, of course, but it's because thankfully no one was hurt that I can pick over the article and kind of snicker at the image of Kurt having to dry his car with a leaf blower. Did he need to get it dry before, say, Sonia came home ?? ("sorry, honey, I was out with the top down and ... but it's okay because I got it good and dry with the leaf blower!")

Or is his son old enough to lift/start the thing?

Again, I realize this is all very secondary to the important thing that no one was hurt, but fire starting due to leaf blower is just one of those shake your head kind of moments to me!

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
My brother spilled some water on a mattress, and used an iron to dry it out. He left the iron switched on and left it on the mattress. When he was sixteen.

Just sayin'

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
My brother spilled some water on a mattress, and used an iron to dry it out. He left the iron switched on and left it on the mattress. When he was sixteen.

Just sayin'

set fire to the kitchen at the same age. mom had left a pot of oil and I accidentally turned on the wrong burner on the stove... WOOSH!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Better than me. I set myself on fire, leaning over a gas stove to open a cabinet that was above it. My loose shirt tail got into the burner. Thank goodness I remembered, "Stop, drop, and roll," from grammar school presentations by the fire department.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Better than me. I set myself on fire, leaning over a gas stove to open a cabinet that was above it. My loose shirt tail got into the burner. Thank goodness I remembered, "Stop, drop, and roll," from grammar school presentations by the fire department.

:eek:

A friend of mine lit himself on fire when he poored lighter fluid over the - what he thought was - dead campfire...

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
Whoa!

I was a firebug as a kid, and thankfully nothing came of it. I did have a close call, once tho. lol

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Gosh, you guys are making the use-the-leaf-blower-to-dry-the-car-INSIDE-the-garage seem downright sensible! ;)