Denney/Barrett Announce Coaching Change to Zimmerman and Fontana | Golden Skate

Denney/Barrett Announce Coaching Change to Zimmerman and Fontana

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I am stunned. this seems to be very late in the off-season to make a change, and correct me if I am wrong but Fontana and Zimmerman do not have a track record as coaches. I see abit over confidence by Denny and Barrett this summer, from the David Wilson chreo and now this change. They had some breakout season, but that does not entitle them to belong among the top pairs. I just hope all these changes don't affect what made them so endearing in the beginning--thier relative consistency and vivacity.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I wonder if E/L will follow with a coaching change too. Amanda and Jeremy are a couple off the ice (at least they were last season) and E/L and D/B were
coached by the same team and trained together last season.

gold12345

Medalist
Well, they will still be in Florida. I wonder how far apart the bases are?

3.5-4 hours apart.

I didn't know Zimmerman and Fontana were even coaching, at least not at this level. It will also be weird since Denney's sister and Barrett's girlfriend (Evora) are still training in Ellenton.

I'm surprised by this move. If it aint broke, don't fix it. Something must have went wrong because the timing of this move isn't great with Champs Camp at the end of this month. I hope Denney & Barrett left on good terms in case they ever need/want to go back.

Last edited:

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
At first I was a bit shocked. Then, in a way, it makes sense. Once both D/B and E/L found themselves at the top of US pairs, it has to have become a little bit awkward to share the same coaches, with both teams now jockeying for the same #1 position. I would have guessed one of the teams would feel the need to go elsewhere for training now. But all the other well known pairs facilities in the USA (Colorado Springs, Delaware, So Cal) are nowhere close to Florida. Zimmerman/Fontana are pretty green as coaches, but maybe it was the best option for being in reasonably close proximity and keeping up the off-ice relationships (i.e. B and E).

I'm not at all sure this is going to help D/B's on-ice development and progression though. :think:

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
What the heck does Fontana know about being a pair? Other than being married to one of course.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
What the heck does Fontana know about being a pair? Other than being married to one of course.

Maybe she will work on the non-pair elements, skating skils, chreography, posture, etc. There is a lot of singles skating in pair skating.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Wow, seems that every skater could be a choreographer or a coach after retiring.:) I hope it's a good move.

gold12345

Medalist
Hopefully the are leaving because they were unhappy with their training situation and not because they are looking for a "magical quick fix" from Zimmerman. Sometimes when the success comes soon, you can get a little impatient. Zimmerman will not be able to do much with them in the few weeks they have left before they compete.

NYscorp6

On the Ice
Country
United-States
John Zimmerman channeling Tamara Moskvina?
Just might work.
I enjoy seeing success in coaching being interpreted, taught and passed down to new generations of figure skating.

TtonyV7

On the Ice
I really hope this change will work in Denney/Barrett favor. The pairs scene has been so dismal for so many year, so I'm really rooting for them.

I think Zimmerman and Fontana can give D&B that smooth, seamless skating that is missing from them.... but we shall see....