Kim's representatives end Orser's coaching relationship threads merged | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Kim's representatives end Orser's coaching relationship threads merged

samsarah

Rinkside
Nothing criminal about it, but I do think it was unprofessional behavior on Brian's part to go out and reveal the specifics of his contract with Yuna. Besides, their contract officially ended in February, after the Olympics. Yuna simply chose not to enter into a new contract. I feel so sorry for Brian, about his hurt feelings, but his actions are not good for the sport.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
They are reporting over at FSUniverse that Brian was on Canadian TV this morning, and he was very classy. Maybe this will put an end to this nonsense.

i love to skate

Medalist
Nothing criminal about it, but I do think it was unprofessional behavior on Brian's part to go out and reveal the specifics of his contract with Yuna. Besides, their contract officially ended in February, after the Olympics. Yuna simply chose not to enter into a new contract. I feel so sorry for Brian, about his hurt feelings, but his actions are not good for the sport.

There was no contract....

steyn

On the Ice
As odd as it seems, it really does appear that that was Team Kim's plan. Who knows? Maybe that's how things are done in Korea (or maybe not, I really have no idea) but it plays very poorly internationally.

It seems Mathman has a different opinion:

^ I think that's a sensible guess.

However, the best damage control Orser could have done was to say nothing. Take the high road and let the other side look like the bad guys.

I still don't understand why Orser decided to make it public. Why is he saying that Yu-Na does not know anything and that it's her mom's decision? Because of that "wrong" accusation, Yu-Na had to write herself on this matter to defend her mom and to reveal the "truth" (in her side). It all started with Orser's (or IMG's) public announcement.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
As odd as it seems, it really does appear that that was Team Kim's plan. Who knows? Maybe that's how things are done in Korea (or maybe not, I really have no idea) but it plays very poorly internationally.

It is strange indeed that Yuna and her agency are telling us that they let Orser know he would be no longer needed quite a while ago. I don't think it is a "Korean thing" to assume Brian would never speak out about it. It feels like a dumb thing and I don't think cultural differences can explain away what is basically amateurish behavior from Yuna's agency.

It is hard to know who to believe in much of this. But there can be no doubt that Yuna or her agency did not come forward and make an announcement about this until Orser finally spoke out.

I don't think that is a "Korean thing" or even an "Asian thing." It is a bad way to handle business and put Orser in a difficult spot. I don't think it is cultural - that Brian spoke out while Yuna and her management remained quiet. That makes it too easy and is a lame excuse for unprofessional behavior.

I am reminded of Mao and her relatiosnhip with Tat. Despite going through a very difficult season Mao remained firecely loyal to Tat and never blamed her for anything. That would have been the easy thing for Mao to do but she never took the easy way out. When so many fans and even the JSF were looking for a change it was Mao - and not her mother - who spoke out, took the blame, told us her plans, etc.

This situation feels much different. Apparently we are now being told Yuna and Brian did not always have a good relationship. That is OK but seems a bit of a contradiction to what was presented to the press and public the last four years.

At this point I don't think Yuna's agency has much credibilty. I find it difficult to believe much of what they are saying and the fact that they couldn't make a public statement about this until they felt damage control was necessary speaks volumes.

i love to skate

Medalist
For all those people who are questioning why Brian made it public, he actually answered this question in an interview. http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hHl0rXd9D2cINbqbjPvW2tDsq-GQD9HQ2MGG0

But he decided to make the separation public Monday because he didn't want it to become a distraction for his other skaters, including up-and-coming Americans Adam Rippon and Christina Gao.
"What's happening now would happen at some point. I didn't want it to happen when I was at a competition with Adam or Christina," Orser said. "That's not fair to them."

He simply was looking out for his skaters. He took initiative and was probably waiting for Kim's camp to make a statement. That never happened so he figured he would explain the split so hopefully it will all be out of the way when his skater's start competing in the fall.

i love to skate

Medalist
In an interview with a Korean tabloid, Brian said that he had an oral contract with Yuna, and that contract ended with the Olympics.

A Korean tabloid? :unsure:That doesn't sound like a reputable source. I highly doubt he told them that as he had already said this to The Globe and Mail:

“It certainly isn’t about money, because I’ve never had a contract with her. I’ve never taken anything of her earnings. I’ve had my hourly fee and that’s it - unlike a lot of coaches at this level. I’d just give her my bill every two weeks and that was it.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...ter-kim-coach-orser-part-ways/article1683021/

brownfox

On the Ice
If there's NO contract, so there's NO firing like how the media is trying to indicate.

EDIT: I thought there's only an Oral agreement between Yuna and Orser.

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
I m surprised he is received as classy, below the surface I find it sad he gives all these interviews, he or his management should have made the split public not to affect his other skaters, ok, but not going from interview to interview now and talk about the details of it, yes he talks nice but going from one tv channel to another newspaper right now is not classy first place.
This is the worst end to a fairytale that probably wasnt a fairytale anyway. And for the 100th time things are not how they look in fs.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
From the reports I've been reading, Brian handled the interview very well. I think Brian will shut his mouth now and get back to training skaters.

I think this mess is all over.

samsarah

Rinkside
Tabloid or not, it was Brian who made those inconsistant statements. It is possible, though, that Brian meant there was no (written) contract when he had that interview with the Globe. Besides, how can there be no contract (in any form) between them for the last four years, when there was the meeting of minds;an agreement that Brian would act as Yuna's head coach until the Olympics.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
The truth will not be entirely on the Orser's side. So far, we've heard a lot from Orser, a lot more than we've expected to hear from him. The Yu Na side just said he's lieing and they won't reveal the true reasons. Orser, as I understand, is a kind of person who is difficult at swallowing the hurts (yes, he is hurt by Yu Na's team.) and forgiving. I can't catigorize his actions as classy. As someone said it over 10 pages ago in this thread, Orser should be slow down and careful for what he should put in the press. The public may never know the real truth about this split. But one thing is certain that it has marked the end of Yu Na's amateur career.

brownfox

On the Ice
Heh..maybe this what Yuna needs, a motivation that you can win without Orser. I admit it will be very hard but the way this split shocked almost everyone, anything can happen.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

Just watched this. I thought he was in proper form. I think in particular he was very diplomatic about the tweet (and maybe the CyWorld entry?) when he said "I'm just glad she had a voice." And he didn't even attack her mom-- even complimenting her on her knowledge of skating.

He affirmed again that he did not want this to affect his other skaters, which is good. And I agree, better that this all play off in the off-season then Brian having to answer questions while Adam and Christina are at GP or JGP.

And I think in response to all the accusations that Brian should have stayed quiet, I think one thing that is neglected is that HE DID. For at least three weeks. And even an entire summer. Both Brian and AT Sports mentioned that things began to change in May. That's almost three months. My take on the matter is that he went to the media (as others have said) because Yu-na's camp did not take any initiative to release a public statement. What else was he to do? He had to think about the skaters AND the Cricket Club (people may know him as Yu-na's coach, but we have to remember he also is the director of the skating program there).

ETA: Also you can still be shocked by something, even if you saw it coming. I say this because some wonder if there's been tension since May or June why the Aug. 2 meeting was a shocker.

Last edited:

samsarah

Rinkside
The truth will not be entirely on the Orser's side. So far, we've heard a lot from Orser, a lot more than we've expected to hear from him. The Yu Na side just said he's lieing and they won't reveal the true reasons. Orser, as I understand, is a kind of person who is difficult at swallowing the hurts (yes, he is hurt by Yu Na's team.) and forgiving. I can't catigorize his actions as classy. As someone said it over 10 pages ago in this thread, Orser should be slow down and careful for what he should put in the press. The public may never know the real truth about this split. But one thing is certain that it has marked the end of Yu Na's amateur career.

I second that Brian should have slowed down, and have been more careful with the media. It was playing with fire on his part. Also, it is so sad that it was he, and no other person, who single handedly did so much damage on Yuna's career. His action speaks louder than his words of love toward Yuna.