Ladies JGP Courchevel | Golden Skate

Ladies JGP Courchevel

SamuraiKike

Medalist
The SP Has already started and the ISU site is posting live results...

A few things :

Huge OUCH for Manouk Gijsman, less than 30 points. She went from making the LP at Worlds to not make the Top 20 at a Junior event..:disapp:

Sad for Fjodorova and Kononenko too.. they seem promising last season.

Shelepen and Jiang are leading and almost tied.. I predict a russian/american ladies battle in all JGP Events, it will be a lot of fun..:laugh:

Can anybody confirm if the Spiral sequence was removed from the Junior SP too? That would explain the much lower than usual scores and we have to consider also the deduction on GOE and some of the base values for the easier jumps.

euroskate

Final Flight
I am looking forward seeing the judges details. it´s not only the points from the spiral what is missing. It seams that the judges are very low on the components. Only around 3 for manouk? I cannot believe she skated that bad (?) well it is still early in the season and almost no one exept for the North Amerians and Russioans are really prepared. In Europe most ice rinks are closed durin summer months, and the preparation for the skaters is quite difficult running from one camp to another. The issue that JGP are to early is always brought up, but the ISU is not willing to change the calendar.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Yretha Silete is the current LEADER (alomst tied with Shelepen and Jiang though). Talk about big surprise. Sheveleva and Siraj currently 4th and 6th.

LeCygne

Final Flight
From Sylvia's Twitter (credit to kirkbiggestfan at FSU)

N Jiang 3rd 48.06 (3T-3T, 3Lo, 2A) & Y Siraj 6th 42.72 (3Lz fall, 2Lo)

Nina has a 3-3!! Awesome, and highest PCS of the top 3. =) No word on Shelepen or Silete's jump content, but they must have had harder combo's? Anyway, I hope Nina has a fabulous long. <3

SamuraiKike

Medalist
I have heard good things about Silete and she had good enough results last season, but all 3 french entries in the top 10?? ummmm I smell a bit of home advantage..:rolleye:

Top 10 in TES:

1 Yretha SILETE FRA 28.53
2 Polina SHELEPEN RUS 28.43
3 Nina JIANG USA 27.75
4 Rosa SHEVELEVA RUS 26.04
5 Anais VENTARD FRA 24.43
6 Lenaelle GILLERON FRA 23.89
7 Yasmin SIRAJ USA 23.26
8 Sila SAYGI TUR 22.50
9 Malin MAGNUSSON SWE 22.22
10 Jessica FÜSSINGER GER 21.90

Top 10 in PCS:

1 Yasmin SIRAJ USA 20.46
2 Nina JIANG USA 20.31
3 Yretha SILETE FRA 20.14
4 Anais VENTARD FRA 19.69
5 Polina SHELEPEN RUS 19.68
6 Roanna OSHIKAWA JPN 19.65
7 Rosa SHEVELEVA RUS 19.63
8 Kana MURAMOTO JPN 19.27
9 Malin MAGNUSSON SWE 17.92
10 Vanessa GRENIER CAN 17.80

Shelepen is only 5th in PCS which I think is fair .. Shame about Sila Saygi, she was buried in PCS too.

Meli_Huber

On the Ice
From Sylvia's Twitter (credit to kirkbiggestfan at FSU)

Nina has a 3-3!! Awesome, and highest PCS of the top 3. =) No word on Shelepen or Silete's jump content, but they must have had harder combo's? Anyway, I hope Nina has a fabulous long. <3

Infos I get:
Shelepen had Problems on her Combo, sorry, I had no more Information what the Problem was, only that it was a 3Lz, but not more. 3Lo and 2A were OK.
Silete had 3F-2T, 3R and 2A.

Looks like Nina had low levels or downgrades.

feraina

Record Breaker
Yes.. Can't understand how she could lose in TES even if her 3t-3t was UR... In that case she gets 7 for it when Polina gets 6 for her Lutz.

I'm really excited for Nina! She's doing so much better already than in the summer competitions. I can't believe she has a 3-3 already, she seemed to be having problems with solo 3T just a month ago! Can anyone believe that she's the only one among top competitors to land a 3-3?! And now she's going to attempt four different triples in the LP (no 3Z yet). Can't wait! :love:

Yeah, her TES was really low, I wonder why. Maybe low-level spins? The new spin rules are giving a lot of competitors problems this year. But she's practically tied with the top-two, without having the pressure of being in the lead. I think she's in very good shape to medal in the LP. :)

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I'm really excited for Nina! She's doing so much better already than in the summer competitions. I can't believe she has a 3-3 already, she seemed to be having problems with solo 3T just a month ago! Can anyone believe that she's the only one among top competitors to land a 3-3?! And now she's going to attempt four different triples in the LP (no 3Z yet). Can't wait! :love:

Yeah, her TES was really low, I wonder why. Maybe low-level spins? The new spin rules are giving a lot of competitors problems this year. But she's practically tied with the top-two, without having the pressure of being in the lead. I think she's in very good shape to medal in the LP. :)

ITA. As for the TES, my guess is Nina had some low level spins, at nationals in January she only had one level 4 spin in the LP, the other two spins were level 2 and 3 and in the SP her spins were graded level 1, 2, and 3. That was before the new rules were in place so if she wasn't getting all her levels then it wouldn't surprise me if the same thing happened here where the rules are stricter. Further, Shelepen's TES is barely ahead of Nina's and that may just be due to Polina getting high +GOE on her elements apart from the botched lutz combo (2a, 3lo, spins, footwork).

I'm actually really impressed by Nina, I was a little worried back in the summer but she's rising to the occasion. 4 different triples and a 3t-3t is quite good for someone who just turned 13, plus her technique is nice and her speed and basic skating are pretty good. Spins shouldn't be that hard to work on, she's flexible and should be capable of getting level 4s, and she has plenty of time to work on these things and get a lutz. I mean, she's 4 years younger than Gong and Cesario, 3 years younger than Agnes and Christina, 2 years younger than Kiri, and a year younger than Yasmin. With that in mind, she's doing really great! Good luck to her and Yasmin tomorrow!

Last edited:

feraina

Record Breaker
I was worried about Nina in the summer, too. She grew 5 inches in one year or something, she's now listed as 5'3! That's a huge growth spurt at 13. She can totally pass for being older than she is, at least in photos, and that's pretty unusual for a female Asian skaters -- usually they look way younger than they are. Anyone remembers what Caroline and Mirai looked like at 13, 14? Also Michelle and NNN.

I was worried that Nina's growth spurt really affected her jumps, as her old reliable 3T became unstable. But it looks like she might actually be weathering through it okay. I really didn't expect her to bring the 3T-3T! Well, there's still the LP. Let's not jinx her!

Good luck to all the young ladies. I hope they all bring their best and give us a good show. :)

feraina

Record Breaker
I hope we are able to watch the show! I'm dying for videos but I know they're hard to come by for most JGP's.

Yeah, I know. I'm totally anxious, too! It's not looking very promising right now, and that's really frustrating. :cry:

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
Courchevel had great coverage last time they hosted a JGP...I hope the video quality is up to that level again this year :)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes, that was the year that the Shibutanis debuted their Cinema Paradiso FD at Courchevel (swoon!) and Orange channel aired it ( :clap: )

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
Yes, that was the year that the Shibutanis debuted their Cinema Paradiso FD at Courchevel (swoon!) and Orange channel aired it ( :clap: )

Yes, I couldn't forget! :love: I'm going to miss seeing them so early in the season.

Only one of them, who placed 7th.

I don't know, is Nina consistent? I want all the best for her today so much!

I hope Nina does her best today, too. She is such a graceful and beautiful skater--she moves very smoothly across the ice and through her choreography as well.
It doesn't surprise me at all that she and Yasmin got the highest PCS. :)

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Only one of them, who placed 7th.

I don't know, is Nina consistent? I want all the best for her today so much!

Most juniors are inconsistent to some degree. But Nina appears to be a good competitor and has delivered when it mattered in the past. That's all I am going to say as I don't want to jinx her! Ladies LP is on now, good luck to Nina and the others!