2010 Moran Memorial | Golden Skate

2010 Moran Memorial

OHgal

Rinkside
Is anyone going to watch this year? I'm hoping to get there for the Sr level freeskate Saturday evening.

Do you know who will be competing? Last year Ashley Wagner and Elene Getevanishville were there.

OHgal

Rinkside
Ksenia Makarova (Russia) and Natalia Popova (Ukrainian Natl champ) are the only ones I'm sure of. I haven't been able to find a link posting all the competitors. A young friend of mine is competing at Sr level for the first time -- nerve wracking!

Sylvia

Record Breaker
A thread for this competition was started in The Edge -- would you like to move it in here? http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?32667-2010-Moran-Memorial

Johnny Weir tweeted from the Moran Memorial club competition in Hackensack, New Jersey last night:
Ksenia [Makarova] was wonderful. First place, clean short program.

This link (video of Makarova's new SP shot from the stands) was posted in the Kiss and Cry section of FSU earlier this afternoon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkmGSdPJA-8

The host club (American Academy FSC) hasn't published Moran Memorial results online for a few years now, but some results are being/may be posted at FSU.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Nice skate from Ksenia, but still no lutz? It appears she has kept the same jump layout: 3t-3t, 3f, 2a as last season.

OHgal

Rinkside
I went to the Ladies FS Saturday night! Still don't know who won, tho.

Ksenia looked wonderful but she popped quite a few jumps. That really surprised me because I have rarely seen her miss jumps in practice (except for learning the new ones. I know she worked really hard on the 3L this year.)

Natalia is a beautiful skater, too, and much improved since I last saw her skate.

There was a local girl, Joelle? I think? She did quite well in her FS. She showed some connection to her music, which most of the other girls simply did not. They could have been skating to anything.

2 of the 10 skaters withdrew from the competition, which made me sad!

And I can't help but think there should be a level about Senior, LOL. There is such a contrast between the Ksenias of the world, and the Senior ladies who have just reached that level. Hard to believe they are all the same level when the quality of skating is so vastly different.

just wondering

On the Ice
And I can't help but think there should be a level about Senior, LOL. There is such a contrast between the Ksenias of the world, and the Senior ladies who have just reached that level. Hard to believe they are all the same level when the quality of skating is so vastly different.

I know! I've watched a few of these local events. The disparity is quite shocking, especially when you compare elites to those who are finishing out their skating before college or just deciding that the elites is something they choose not to pursue. Still, fun to know that each family is proud of their skater's work thus far; I tend to imagine all the early morning trips to the rink etc . . . it's is heartwarming. Plus, to compete in an event where you can say you skated against a Ksenia (or Christina or Rachael or fill in the blank) is a pretty great thing! IMHO, it's what makes the locals a fun event to attend! JW