Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Canadian Summer competitions, General

Custom Title
    Results for the Souvenir Georges-Ethier competition in Quebec are at this link.

The results are being updated fairly rapidly, so all results should be posted by Monday. Results for short programs of senior men and ladies and junior men, ladies and pairs are posted, as well as most results for novice and pre-novice.

I don't see any real surprises so far. Marc-Andre Craig is leading in senior men, as expected, I think.

Custom Title
    Any updates on Daniela-Bella Favot? I tried to find results for the Moran Memorial competition, but didn't have any luck.

Custom Title
    By the way - geoskate & nadster: I've always enjoyed your posts and am glad to see you here!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by nadster View Post
    The entries for the Octoberfest competition in Barrie for October 14 - 17 are now up.

http://www.skatecanada-centralontari...2010/index.htm

Some highlights of entries.

Senior Men: Russell, Rogozine, Balde. Only 7 entries but a very good field for a fall competition.

Junior Dance is good too with the Khongs, Kelly Oliveira / Jordan Hockley and Carsewell/Doleman appearing. Only 6 entries here but a quality field.

Senior Dance: Paul/Islam will do their short dance here. They won't do the free though
    It appears Tomas Verner will also compete here.

Custom Title
    Ya Verner didn't bomb, he landed ALL his jumps and has a big lead . No quad tho, but that could be a smart decision not to do it in the SP if it means a clean SP. Hope he has a good season!

Custom Title
    Verner was definitely the class of the field. Unlike pretty much everything else, his program was entertaining and skated very much with the music, in addition to solid elements. Looking forward to seeing the free tomorrow. Currently it is Tomas, Andre and Joey in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

Custom Title
    Any updates on Daniela-Bella Favot? I tried to find results for the Moran Memorial competition, but didn't have any luck.
    I haven't been able to find the results for Moran Memorial either, but she also skated at the Mid-Atlantic Championships September 10-12. Results are here: http://skatingclubofny.com/results. She seems to have skated well, although the PCS marks at this competition seem to be rather inflated which would have affected her score somewhat.

With respect to the Octoberfest competition, the other interesting competition (to me, at least) is the showdown between Andrei Rogozine, Joey Russell and Elladj Balde. It's very close after the shot program; those three skaters are separated by less than three points. Protocols are here

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernDancers View Post
    Verner was definitely the class of the field. Unlike pretty much everything else, his program was entertaining and skated very much with the music, in addition to solid elements. Looking forward to seeing the free tomorrow. Currently it is Tomas, Andre and Joey in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.
    Good to hear! Glad he's bounced back since last season, he's such a great performer, it was sad to see him so down last year. Good luck to the men in the FS!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by geoskate View Post
    I haven't been able to find the results for Moran Memorial either, but she also skated at the Mid-Atlantic Championships September 10-12. Results are here: http://skatingclubofny.com/results. She seems to have skated well, although the PCS marks at this competition seem to be rather inflated which would have affected her score somewhat.

With respect to the Octoberfest competition, the other interesting competition (to me, at least) is the showdown between Andrei Rogozine, Joey Russell and Elladj Balde. It's very close after the shot program; those three skaters are separated by less than three points. Protocols are here
    Is Tomas not skating in the FS? If he is he should play a factor in the showdown.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Is Tomas not skating in the FS? If he is he should play a factor in the showdown.
    Tomas is so above everybody else that we can't say that he is in a battle with the others. The only way he could lose is to do his best impersonation of Oda at this year's worlds. Although he has done that sometimes in the past.

This battle between Balde, Russell, and Rogozine is a battle between skaters who could potentially win the bronze at nationals and final ticket to senior worlds. Sawyer and Ten are other candidates for the bronze at nationals

Custom Title
    Some other non senior mens notes;

Senior ladies:

DeSanctis had a great short and won it with clean triple flip and lutz. 2 spins were level 4 and the layback a level 3. Why she did not get a senior B with a chance to get a Skate Canada slot still mystifies me. She skated well at Thornhill and backed up her performance here. Definitely could win a medal at nationals this year. She has certainly been in better form than Szmiett or Samson so far this year. Najarro withdrew BTW. Also the Korean Yea-Ji Yun finished 2nd after the short ( fell on lutz ) but otherwise solid.

Senior and junior dance:

Did not like the tango waltz of Paul/Islam too much. They skated it well but the music just did not sit right with the golden waltz steps to me. JMO. In fact I enjoyed Kelly Oliveira / Jordan Hockley ' s short dance in juniors more. Obviously Paul/Islam are better skaters but I just wished they had chosen different music.

Withdrawals ( junior): Khongs did not show up for the short dance. Carolyn MacCuish / Tyler Morris ( who did not enter the short dance ) had their names crossed out for the free dance. I wonder what Carolyn MacCuish / Tyler Morris will do with their short dance as it has been a complete mess this year.

Senior Pairs:

Not very well skated. Hole/Johnson don't look ready for the SGP event they got.

Junior ladies considerations:

Given the underwhelming results of the Canadian ladies on the JGP ( Kate Charbonneau's results are especially shocking given that she finished 6th at the last junior worlds), it was interesting to see if maybe there was an outsider to a JW spot. No one stood out here as none of those ladies here ( Eri Nishimura and Rylie MC in seniors , Moon-Chung in juniors ) scored above 40 in their shorts.
    Last edited by nadster; 10-17-2010 at 12:10 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by nadster View Post
    Tomas is so above everybody else that we can't say that he is in a battle with the others. The only way he could lose is to do his best impersonation of Oda at this year's worlds. Although he has done that sometimes in the past.

This battle between Balde, Russell, and Rogozine is a battle between skaters who could potentially win the bronze at nationals and final ticket to senior worlds. Sawyer and Ten are other candidates for the bronze at nationals
    I feel like Joey Russel is a very good skater and could potentially beat Tomas in the FS if he skates really well and Tomas has mistakes. But yeah if Tomas keeps it together he will win by a landslide, but as we know that can sometimes be a big if.

Good luck to all the men!

Custom Title
    I assume the competition is over, but the senior men's results haven't been posted yet. Did anyone go and know what happened, who won, etc? I'm really curious to hear how Joey and Tomas did.

Custom Title
    Protocols for the men's event are here . Scroll down about halfway, since the men's long program results are in the same pdf as the short program results.

As expected, Tomas easily won, with a long program score of about 145 points. From the protocols I count seven triples that he landed (second axel not clean, apparently), with his only mistake being a singled flip. What's encouraging is that his jump results seem to indicate that he didn't fade at the end as he often has. Hopefully someone at the competition can give detailed comments.

The biggest surprise on the protocols was Eladj Balde's second place finish, since his long program score of 128 points is his best long program score ever. He's apparently back after his injury. According to the protocols he landed seven triples, including a 3A-3T combination. He fell on the second triple axel but apparently rotated it.

Joey's skate was about par for him (116 points, with a fall on the 3A), and Andrei's 113 point performance was slightly off what he's been doing in the JGP. He didn't attempt two triple axels in this performance, as he has been doing on the JGP.

Custom Title
    I don't think Verner meant to do open with a triple toe. So maybe two mistakes. Doesn't seem his quad is there yet.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast