Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Painful coach-skater splits in the past

Custom Title

Painful coach-skater splits in the past

While we are being at it, what were other painful splits in the past?

To start, obviously there is the Kwan-Carroll split...
    Last edited by parma; 08-28-2010 at 04:04 AM. Reason: confusing

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Christopher Bowman and Frank Carroll. Frank fired him, after getting into a kerfluffle with him on TV after his 1990 Worlds LP, feuding with him all week (as Hamilton mentions in this clip of Christopher's LP), rechoreographing his program on the fly after stepping out of his triple axel.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-vDjjt06N4

Chris had skated a decent SP, and had chosen to skate to "Indian Love Call" as an homage to Frank Carroll who had skated to this music in his eligible years.(awful stereotypical Indian movements in this SP)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf_Nk...ext=1&index=36

Frank had reason-Christopher's bad training habits and drug use issues had to have driven Frank crazy.

Stupidly, after admiring Christopher's lovely extension on TV, Toller Cranston (here doing the color commentary for the Canadian coverage of the LP),
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTPyt...=38&playnext=2

Toller made the fatal error of deciding to coach Chris, since Frank had dropped him, which Toller later described (AFAIR) as like being in a car wreck every day.

Custom Title
    I was thinking of Christopher and Frank the minute I saw the title for this thread. What a sad tale. Even in the heat of the moment in 2001, Frank had to know that whatever happened to Michelle in the Olympics, she would be all right as a skater and as a person. On the other hand, Chris must have had "going down in flames" written all over him from an early age.

We'll never know (and we shouldn't, probably) what light went on in Michelle's mind to make her leave Carroll and go coachless right before the most important competition of her life. But in all other respects (that we know of), she is and was a smart, steady person who seems to know how to keep her head above water. So there's only a certain amount of distress one can feel about her breakup with Carroll. (And she seems to have kept up or at least resumed cordial relations with him, the sure sign of a mature mentality.) Bowman, on the other hand, looked as though he was on the slippery road downward for years. If he was too much of a handful even for a take-chances Bohemian like Toller, that's saying something.

I guess another example of a bad breakup could be Yagudin and Mishin? I don't remember the exact story, but wasn't Yagudin a member of Mishin's stable originally, and didn't he skip over to Tarasova?

I don't know many details of the Yags/Mishin split but I believe it was partially about the rivalry Yags had with Plushy.

Last season the Patrick Chan / Don Laws split started off a bit rocky but was quickly smoothed over.

I don't remember details from Johnny and Priscilla but that was a breakup that was talked about.

When Mao and Rafael split it was not exactly the smoothest breakup.
    Last edited by janetfan; 08-28-2010 at 07:46 AM.

Frank Caroll "firing" Timothy Goebel also had something going on behind tha scenes that was never made public.

Keeper of the Kweens OGM. MK's Winter's Avatar
    I think of Johnny Weir and Priscilla Hill. Watching how that played out on his show,my heart broke for her.

I also think of Oksana and Galina.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by MK's Winter View Post
    I think of Johnny Weir and Priscilla Hill. Watching how that played out on his show,my heart broke for her.

I also think of Oksana and Galina.
    Yeah, Oksana and Galina was especially rough because that was a "life" breakup, not just a skating breakup. She didn't exactly go out and train with someone else to maintain her high level. She began a downward spiral that lost her a career and friends who were basically her surrogate family. It wasn't just Galina she left, either; she left Petrenko (who happened to be Galina's son-in-law) and whoever else in that family was supporting her. Thank goodness she seems to be living a more stable life these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Frank Caroll "firing" Timothy Goebel also had something going on behind tha scenes that was never made public.
    just a lot of ugly rumors. Though, after Angela Nikodinov's mother died in the car crash in Portland, Frank went and comforted Tim, so it wasn't a completely broken relationship.

Scott Hamilton and Carlo Fassi seemed to be a pretty heated break up on Scott's part (he felt slighted). It was the best thing that ever happened to his career, though, as he and Don Laws were magic.

Keeper of the Kweens OGM. MK's Winter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Yeah, Oksana and Galina was especially rough because that was a "life" breakup, not just a skating breakup. She didn't exactly go out and train with someone else to maintain her high level. She began a downward spiral that lost her a career and friends who were basically her surrogate family. It wasn't just Galina she left, either; she left Petrenko (who happened to be Galina's son-in-law) and whoever else in that family was supporting her. Thank goodness she seems to be living a more stable life these days.
    Her leaving Victor broke my heart. I always find myself watching the fox on ice video of their Rock around the clock number. Memories......

Rogue Leader
    Klimova&Ponomarenko leaving Dubova because they felt she preferred Usova&Zhulin wasn't the happiest split, either.

I always wondered how Gauthier felt being dumped by S&P the summer before the Olympics, but they all seemed to stay professional and circumspect in that situation.

How about the coaching pair break-up of Tarasova and Morozov? They had small amounts of mud-slinging in the press, and a team or two of theirs had some comments. (I'm thinking C&S of Israel primarily.)

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    poor Frank. why is he in the middle of all of these. I don't think the Carroll/Kostner partnership went that well although news of it was almost non-existent.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    I had forgotten Goebel Caroll split, but when was it? I dont remember! sad he didnt reach Torino Olympics though..

Custom Title
    What about Sasha and Robin? I remember seeing a Sasha fluff when Robin said she thought Sasha didn't give her a real chance. She seemed bitter

Quote Originally Posted by berrycute View Post
    What about Sasha and Robin? I remember seeing a Sasha fluff when Robin said she thought Sasha didn't give her a real chance. She seemed bitter
    That's not so bad. Didn't Tat let Sasha go because she said Sasha liked shopping too much

Come to think of it, Sasha should maybe get a medal of some sort for having so many changes without much real drama. That and the fact that she began and ended with Mr Nicks who remains like a member of her family.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    That's not so bad. Didn't Tat let Sasha go because she said Sasha liked shopping too much

Come to think of it, Sasha should maybe get a medal of some sort for having so many changes without much real drama. That and the fact that she began and ended with Mr Nicks who remains like a member of her family.
    I agree! I almost brought up the Robin thing but I don't think I've ever read anything more than vague rumors about what happened ... then I started thinking about it and it IS kinda remarkable that Sasha managed to go through so many changes so quickly that season without any realy media drama ... and that she managed to keep a solid relationship with Mr. Nicks. Seems like there was maturity on both sides ... and some perspective from a veteran like Mr. Nicks who has probably seen it all in figure skating.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast