Average Height of Male and Female Skaters | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Average Height of Male and Female Skaters

seniorita

Record Breaker
Interesting! I guess it's because Bradley is available at that time when others are not. And they won't ever pick Buttle and Lysacek.
I can guess why not Lysacek even though I think business is business but plus everything else i dont think he would care for a russian/european tour with all the engagements he has, but why not Buttle?

actually i saw today an interview of Ari Zakarian in Absolute Skating who is among other things the manager of KOI, and he explains why he chose Bradley and I guess it is the same reason he took Amodio to a large part of the spring tour.

Last edited:

CdnSkateWatcher

On the Ice
Height is hard to figure out on the ice; my kid gets taken for smaller than his height as he's small boned and narrowly built - people are shocked when they actually realize how tall he is. Another guy who is actually shorter than he is taken as the taller of the two, due to a more solid and "wide" build. Both have good posture ... it's not a slumping over issue. Same thing with girls - one kid that I was sure was quite tiny was actually taller than others, once I saw her side by side with the other girls - simply because of the proportions and build.

Kurt Browning is around 5'6". Orser the same, IIRC from seeing him.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Height is hard to figure out on the ice; my kid gets taken for smaller than his height as he's small boned and narrowly built - people are shocked when they actually realize how tall he is. Another guy who is actually shorter than he is taken as the taller of the two, due to a more solid and "wide" build. Both have good posture ... it's not a slumping over issue. Same thing with girls - one kid that I was sure was quite tiny was actually taller than others, once I saw her side by side with the other girls - simply because of the proportions and build.

So Yuna really isn't the tall supermodel type she appears to be
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/photo.php?pid=4754314&id=53417067377&ref=fbx_album

super long legs though

gocaroline

On the Ice
The stats on isu bio or uses are not accurate

My kids skate, my impression at most competitions is once a girl reaches 5'3 or 5'4" she looks like a giant on the ice among mostly tiny girls. And I have personly met some famous skater and the stats they listed on isu bio or usfsa bio are very much inflated. It's very flattering when skates have their skates on which give about 2-3' boost on their height and a much longer leg looking. Lucinda is really tall even off ice and I do think it's much more difficult for tall long-legged skaters to jump.

76olympics

On the Ice
How tall is Josef Sabovcik? He always looks very tall on the ice and has a unique jump technique. And wasn't that West German skater from the 1980s, Heiko Fischer, fairly tall, as well?

On the other side, I think Barb Underhill is barely 5 feet tall..

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I can guess why not Lysacek even though I think business is business but plus everything else i dont think he would care for a russian/european tour with all the engagements he has, but why not Buttle?

Guess maybe Europeans are not very fond of Canadians?;):biggrin:

It's very flattering when skates have their skates on which give about 2-3' boost on their height and a much longer leg looking.

Very true.

Yeah, I seem to remember that Underhill is very petite. She doesn't look it, though, because she has an imposing, womanly quality. I have friends like her whose height I'm always surprised to realize, because I always see them as taller--even when I'm standing right there with them. I love Underhill and Martini. They always seemed so well-matched, physically and emotionally, and their style combined elegance and jazziness.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

Actually Kurt's closer to 5'7 or 5'8. I'm 5'7.5 and he was pretty much my height if not a hair (no pun intended) taller.

heyang

Record Breaker
It's all physics..... a while ago, Tim Goebel was said to have the ideal body shape for spinning - thus, his ability to perform quads so cleanly. Wide shoulders, narrow hips. Like a spinning top.

Therefore, another reason why it is harder for women to perform quads - hips and breasts inhibit spinning. It's not that it's impossible, but there are very physical reasons why female skaters have a much more difficult time handling their growth spurts - they are adjusting to both vertical and horizontal changes - both challenge their ability to rotate well.

If you look at the podiums with Sarah Hughes, even with her bad posture, she appears much taller than her fellow competitors and I think she was only 5'4" when she was competing. She may have grown a bit taller since then.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
You think, huh :)

Yeah. But I still have my suspicions of Yuna being 5'4", if she really is, she's one of the tallest looking 5'4" ladies out there. But if she's actually 5'6" or 5'7" and only 103 pounds, then that's kinda scary...

evangeline

Record Breaker
Yeah. But I still have my suspicions of Yuna being 5'4", if she really is, she's one of the tallest looking 5'4" ladies out there. But if she's actually 5'6" or 5'7" and only 103 pounds, then that's kinda scary...

I think Yu-Na is definitely 5'4" (she looks exactly the same height as Mao, at least in pictures) but she really does look taller because she has very good proportions--long legs and limbs, etc. That's why some 5'7" models look as tall as their 5'10" counterparts--proportion really matters when it comes to perceiving height.