Blu Ray DVD Player Question | Golden Skate

Blu Ray DVD Player Question

Tigger

Final Flight
I'm looking into a Blu Ray Player as a present to my Parents for Christmas, but need to know something. Is it possible to play regular DVD's on them too?

They're in the process of updating our Entertainment set up down here in our Rec Room. They already have the Big Screen Plasma TV up and running and are waiting to hear back from our Dish Provider's guy in our area to get a separate reciever to go w/the new TV.

I'm going to let them use my older DVD player for now, since I now have a DVR, but was thinking so long as they're seriously thinking of not just a new reciever, but one that's HD capable. Well...Why not get them a Blu Ray DVD player to go along w/all of the rest of the new "toys". :D

Now, I do have a few Blue Ray movies thanks to my love of Disney and also getting a couple of movies that we love, but I know aren't so popular they'd still be available whenever we did end up going Blu Ray. Both they and I and would hate to not be able to use the sizable DVD Collection we, okay mostly me, have.

Thanks in advance!! :)

Last edited:

gmyers

Record Breaker
Yes I have heard and read non blu ray dvd's can play on blu ray players.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
yes, DVDs can be played on a bluray player. my aunt and my parents all have one and I'm able to play my DVDs on them.

heyang

Record Breaker
Yes, dvd's can be playedon Blu-ray palers. When you buy, the formats should be featured on the box. In addition to regular DVD, they should also play DVD+, DVD- and DVD RW to allow playing of home made DVD's. The more recent players also support playing of home made blu-ray recordings as well.

Other options are wireless and internet ready.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What is the differences between the blue ray and non-b-r???? Is the differences great enough to purchase the one over the other?? Isn't the cost of the b-r more???

heyang

Record Breaker
1st - you only want blu ray if you have a hi-def TV. You can't hook up a blu-ray player to a nonHD TV since they connect via an HDMI cable.

the blu ray video image is so much richer than DVD on a HD TV.

BTW, never buy cables at retail stores, especially Best Buy. Huge markup. You can buy them inexpensively at sites like monster cable. I bough 3 10 ft HDMI cables for $10, including postage vs $50 for 1.

heyang

Record Breaker
Blu ray disks are anywhere from $3 and more higher than regular DVD when you're comparing new releases. A lot of older movies are being re-issued in Blu ray format, although I'm skeptical if they are actually better - especially as related to TV shows that may not have been released in HD quality.

Yes players are more pricey than DVD recorders, but DVD recorders were once considerably pricier than VCR's. At this point, I think the costs and technology are pretty stable and reasonable. Until the next big thing comes a long, I don't think the prices will drop much more.

Jhar55

Medalist
Yes, you can play regular DVD's on Blu Ray, BUT you can't play Blu Ray's on regular DVD
Mine can also be hooked up to the internet (have done that)