What will the 2010/2011 bring us in ICE DANCE? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

What will the 2010/2011 bring us in ICE DANCE?

npa

Match Penalty
I like their SD too :) but sometimes I feel like Deja vu

Really strange, because they talk before, they will have all new in next season.....
One thing i notice - this dance is very "dancing", even second lift is in tango style. But its not innovated.
Maybe they will show all new in FD?

alithia

Final Flight
I like their SD, well the show version of it because I think it's going to look quite different come Skate Canada.
The golden waltz was missing, instead they put the rotational lift as a filler, which probably will be out of the program.Isn't just one lift permitted for the short dance this season?
The lift they did from what one can see in the home videos is beautiful and quite innovative for a tango lift.

The short dance generally doesn't impress me that much , it looks like a huge CD routine and doesn't leave much for choreography so maybe it's better that at least V/M chose tango for the 1st and 3rd part.They can change the mood of the dance while doing their own.
After the Nebelhorn short dance results I'm quite tempted to see what's going on with the short dances and the way they are marked.It looks like coaches and choreographers have to be extra careful to avoid silly mistakes that can result to level 1.

herios

Medalist
I was pleasantly surprised by the choice for the rhumba.I was actually afraid we'll get to hear one of the classic skating rhumbas.It's jazzy and it suits them perfectly.I want to see how they interpret it on ice, and especially the two very fast paced sambas.

If they will come anywhere close to hot Thalia, a Zamboni break will be required right away for both the audience and the ice makers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgIYIsu1ZSg

:biggrin:;)

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Really strange, because they talk before, they will have all new in next season.....
One thing i notice - this dance is very "dancing", even second lift is in tango style. But its not innovated.
Maybe they will show all new in FD?

I don't think they're ever going to do a voidy program - they said all new lifts and that they wanted to go to a different route, but I do think "dancing" is their raison d'etre.

herios

Medalist
As far as Tessa and Scott;s first samba in their FD is concerned, no disrespect to Lacey and Danny from SYTYCD show, who also used this music, but watch what these two prodancers, Yulia and Maxim are doing with it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgJcPu5Wxrk

OK, this might bedifficult to do on ice, but were they ever hot...

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
As far as Tessa and Scott;s first samba in their FD is concerned, no disrespect to Lacey and Danny from SYTYCD show, who also used this music, but watch what these two prodancers, Yulia and Maxim are doing with it:

OK, this might bedifficult to do on ice, but were they ever hot...

Thanks for posting that amazing piece of dance. Unbelivably crisp fast and sexy.

npa

Match Penalty
For me its look like Marina didnt have time for made something new for V-M. But i like dancing feeling of this SD, i like music and style of this dance.
Maybe they will show something new in FD? I cant imaging they could skate so fast. For old dance this music could be good, but how they could do step sequence in holds on this samba?

herios

Medalist
I was pleasantly surprised by the choice for the rhumba.I was actually afraid we'll get to hear one of the classic skating rhumbas.It's jazzy and it suits them perfectly.I want to see how they interpret it on ice, and especially the two very fast paced sambas.Hiphip chinchin is perfect for beginning.
I guess nobody can accuse them for staying in their comfort zone this season.

I am personally not as pleased as you are, only because I cannot accept Diana Krall's "Temptations" a "latin" music. It is not latin.There are endless true latin rhumbas to be choose from which have not been used in ice dancing ever before.
For example, look at this routine, done by the same gorgeus dancers Yulia and Maxim i posted before, they dance to a Jose Feliciano song, now that is what i can call "latin":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1JpU0CVEeU

IDon't get me wrong, I am looking forward to see what they do with "Temptations", as this is also unchartered territory for them, but please do not call it "latin"!

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I am personally not as pleased as you are, only because I cannot accept Diana Krall's "Temptations" a "latin" music. It is not latin.There are endless true latin rhumbas to be choose from which have not been used in ice dancing ever before.
For example, look at this routine, done by the same gorgeus dancers Yulia and Maxim i posted before, they dance to a Jose Feliciano song, now that is what i can call "latin":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1JpU0CVEeU

IDon't get me wrong, I am looking forward to see what they do with "Temptations", as this is also unchartered territory for them, but please do not call it "latin"!

I dunno = clicking links from that link gives me a number of dances that I thought would stretch the definition of "rhumba" music.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:)Well, if the rhythm is there (it is ), then it's a rhumba. It's just not a standard ballroom piece.The rhythm is there, but the percussion is generally light (? not exactly the right word ) and jazzy.
Hip Hip Chin Chin is hardly a standard samba either,and in it's own way ,it's just as jazzy as Temptation. Here, the percussion is practically everything, but the instruments used, and all of the different riffs and accents , while keeping within the samba rhythm ,are not really typical of samba.The difference is, it seems to have been adopted big time by the ballroom community.

Last edited:

npa

Match Penalty
:)Well, if the rhythm is there (it is ), then it's a rhumba. It's just not a standard ballroom piece.The rhythm is there, but the percussion is generally light (? not exactly the right word ) and jazzy.
Hip Hip Chin Chin is hardly a standard samba either,and in it's own way ,it's just as jazzy as Temptation. Here, the percussion is practically everything, but the instruments used, and all of the different riffs and accents , while keeping within the samba rhythm ,are not really typical of samba.The difference is, it seems to have been adopted big time by the ballroom community.

I like Temptation. and like this jazzy feeling. And Hip Hip Chin Chin with Temptation is one style (IMHO)

herios

Medalist
I like Temptation. and like this jazzy feeling. And Hip Hip Chin Chin with Temptation is one style (IMHO)

Nothing wrong with those, just to make myself clearer, I was just anticipating something else when I heard they will do latin, I enjoy spanish flavoured latin dances more.
Now, what I will be looking for is how close they will come to my standards I am setting up for them from here on. I will compare them to what T/D did with "History of love (1994), because that is for me the gold standard in rhumba ( I like that more than bolero btw).
And when it comes to the last latin FD which won world title (Gri/Pla 1996), I hope they exceed that by a wide margin, because if you look at that free dance today, nothing is exceptional there aside their speed.

Last edited:

npa

Match Penalty
Nothing wrong with those, just to make myself clearer, I was just anticipating something else when I heard they will do latin, I enjoy spanish flavoured latin dances more.
Now, what I will be looking for is how close they will come to my standards I am setting up for them from here on. I will compare them to what T/D did with "History of love (1994), because that is for me the gold standard in rhumba ( I like that more than bolero btw).
And when it comes to the last latin FD which won world title (Gri/Pla 1996), I hope they exceed that by a wide margin, because if you look at that free dance today, mothing is exceptional there aside their speed.

I agree, it will be inetersting to see, what they will made with this latin dance and could this be something really interesting, because usually latin dances on ice didnt look greate. Maybe latin danes look better, when they was made in old rules era.
I dont think they could come close to T-D, because that was pure rhumba OD and that was T-D :) But Scott must be hot :biggrin:
As for WCh gold - yes, usually teams won with something more dramatic. But other teams will have something more dancing and light too in this season. Will see, what happened

Last edited:

alithia

Final Flight
T/D's rhumba was and still is the ideal for a rhumba when performed on the ice.It had the right amount of sensuality and technical stuff, a great balance between the two.And it wasn't over the top.V/M can do it, they have the ability to dance like this and I'd love them to challenge and reach their potential.I guess skaters today are afraid to use standard latin pieces so as not to be called "old fashioned"?I loved the music U/Z used back then for the rhumba too.
What I hope they won't do is go the G/P way as far as latin is concerned.As good as they were that one was an unfortunate progam, at least for me.
I think the only team we don't know what they'll be skating to by now are Faiella/Scalli?

colleen o'neill

Medalist
T/D's rhumba was to die for ! It's still THE on-ice Rhumba for me. ( Swoon .)I agree that V/M are capable of equaling it or coming close , but a lot will depend on the choreography.

G/P's Latin FD was a travesty to me. I think to call it unfortunate is more than kind.:disapp:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Just so those who don't youtube much have a reference:

T&D's 1994 Rhumba (how to)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19CYCcmA2Y0

And this gives me an idea. The T&D Rhumba d'Amour was adapted to be a CD with 1 1/2 repeats, but it was never skated in competition. It was demo'd by Belbin and Agosto (maybe at 2003 Worlds? I don't remember what year it was). However, the demo is not on youtube, nor was it broadcast at the time.

The SD would be a perfect format to introduce this CD as a 'pattern dance' portion, with a single repeat (as is being done for the GW this year).

G&P's 1996 Latin FD (how not to)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPg_3X7qWIQ

No nos: Hopping in place, skating on flats, getting frantic. And yet, there is neither the sense of fun I like to see in a samba, nor the sizzle of sexual interaction that I expect to see in a rhumba.

I think Tessa & Scott will have no problem doing the rhumba section of their program (remember, thanks to the magic of digital recording, the music can be variously rearranged). Scott will look hot, which he does well. Tessa will look smitten with him, which she does well. Great edges can be used to express the sinuous quality I think this dance should have, and they have them.

The problems, if they might have any might be:
samba. That's one fast samba. And you should look like you're party animals having a great time. I would like to see fast steps for it. And a lot of fast hip action. All of those things might be outside their comfort zones (and good on them, for trying to stretch their comfort zones.)

practice time. Tessa still has to be careful with her legs, and manage her pain. When you're doing something intricate and different, practice is often required.

New rules for levels on twizzles and steps. If you followed Nebelhorn, you noticed that teams that used to have no problem getting level 4s on everything, like Capellini & Lanotte, suddenly were getting level 2's. Training to change their steps and twizzles, again, requires time. Not easy when you have to manage your training to deal with your pain.

I hope that they don't use the spoken voice over parts of Hiphip chinchin, which do not excite me. Or the screechy intro.

But it would be something if Tessa did a orange and yellow Big Bird inspired, samba outfit as Yulia did here on PBS. Especially if Scott has bright orange and yellow samba ruffles on his sleeves :biggrin: Perhaps they were feeling a bit constrained by the monochrome costumes Skate Canada was encouraging last year...if so, samba is a great way to break out of that constraint!

herios, I hope this answered your question from the Programs thread?

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
And for those curious about other teams that tried to put the samba on ice, it was the OSP at the 1989/1990 season. Here are 4 teams trying to do it:

Duchesnays
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVXFZgo9YHs
They bounce around a lot on 2 feet. Even Canadian commentators are not fans of this particular dance. However, they do show good abandon and beat.

Klimova & Ponomarenko
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz_l3PkGl78
The anti-Duchesnays. Wonderful, meticulous skating. Boring as heck to La Cucharacha, and about as sexy as a banana commercial. (I saw this competition live, and that's what I thought at the time, too.)

Usova & Zhulin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2CPsF1brvk
Too bad they had a bobble or 2. The section where Zhulin breaks out is the best expression of samba feeling in the competition, IMO.

Grishuk & Platov
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34RyY_yzfEo
They are young, and very recently put together as a team here. Their great speed is already evident.

Last edited:
Two of my favorite couples: Klimova/Ponomarenko and Usova/Zhulin. K/P have the edge for me somehow--don't know whether others feel that way. One of the commentators under the YouTube video remarked that they may have had the greatest technique ever. They also had a lyrical passion that quite often took my breath away, both as amateurs and as pros. Add to the fact that both of them are nearly pure eye candy...how could they go wrong?