What will the 2010/2011 bring us in ICE DANCE? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

What will the 2010/2011 bring us in ICE DANCE?

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Perhaps I misunderstood, the rules for the SD this year, but what are so many teams sticking a random Tango into an otherwise romantic dance? If the pattern is the golden waltz, why can't they stick to the waltz tempo all the way through or at least change it up to something more cohesive.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
I'm sure someone has the exact quote of the guideline. I don't ,but if I understand it / recall it properly.. It's the GW plus a choice of at least one other rhythm from Tango, foxtrot...(and I think one other) . Waltz can be used for the whole program only if, at some point, there's a noticeable change in tempo or overall ,a building or intensifying effect ( however that's interpreted )..Is that about right ?

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
ISU Communication 1621

3. Creative Part - Junior and Senior
The choreography of the Creative part may be to the same rhythm as the specified Pattern Dance (Waltz) or to one or
two of the rhythms chosen from the following rhythms:
Foxtrot, Quickstep, Tango.
The following three (3) required

I think it is the FD that requires at least one change of tempo.

herios

Medalist
ISU Communication 1621

I think it is the FD that requires at least one change of tempo.

I haven't checked the rules carefully either, but I think you are right. If there would be a rythm change required in the SD, then Bobrova's "Delilah" would be inapropriate. But I agree with Tinymavy, some of the dances with a sudden rythm change feel disjointed.

Big Deal

Final Flight
I think that the next "big thing" from Russia is Bobrova-Solovyev.
Already better than Domnina-Shabalin ever been.
Great choice of music, good technique.
At least-again- a Russian couple I enjoy to watch. It didn't happen since a while....
Love them.

The Ilinikh-Katsapalov needs to reconsider tho whole concept. Their technique is way too juniorish for THIS . Not pleasant.
The Junior pair Monko _ .... looks better to me.
I still find Pechalat-Bourzat way too laboured and arteficial. Not my favourite either.

Bobrova-Soloviev can WIN this year maybe at the European Champs. It is more likely to be No3., because the last chance to the 2 old couples (Faiella-Scali and Pechalat-Bourzat) to win.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Re Ilinyky & Katsapalov (RUS)

Thanks for posting these videos.
I was hearing this off season, that Ilinykh / Katsapalov would be the next russian ice dance leaders?
Sorry, not with these type of dances. I was "agonizing" just listening to their "agony" valse choice. Who's idea was that? Such a dark music, is rather disturbing imo.

That agony waltz thing blends into a tango better than the Viennese Waltz type music, usually associated with the GW. The trouble is that to portray the GW, you should have a Viennese Waltz, IMO. And the beat is supposed to be clear, which in the agony waltz, it isn't very.

I think this is a sign of their coach's struggle with the conflict between the requirement in PCS to blend the two pieces of music together and the desire to not just do a Viennese Waltz straight through. It is their first year in seniors. This team has flourished by being talked about (the death scene on ice last year), and I think this SD signals their desire to be talked about this year. A lot of talk about the restrictive rules and challenging them worked for the Duchesnays, so why not? (I think it is not random chance that their OD last year was to the Duchesnay's most famous FD music.)

Bobrova / Soloviev are at the opposite end for me. Great choice, to pick such an upbeat popular tune (Tom Jones, yeah baby) and unorthodox music for their waltz. They will bring the audience into it, clapping along the way. A little rough and sloppy here there, but they were flying across the ice.

I thought their Delilah was a much more successful SD than I&K's, and I particularly like their last lift! but then I have preferred the all waltz all the time SD's most so far.

Last edited:

KKonas

Medalist
Not a fan of the concept of the SD, but I do think that keeping within the same rhythm makes for better overall visual enjoyment since it's only 2.40 min. long and the "pattern dance" by itself is restrictive. Of course we haven't seen too many top teams yet, so there is always the possibility that a team will meld a waltz and a tango seamlessly but so far I haven't seen it. Also think using delicate, light music like Amalie for the technically difficult GW as Pechlat & Bourzat do just doesn't work.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I agree to both your points. And the very heavy rhythm Padam Padam Padam has worked very well in both the senior and junior ranks.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:biggrin:Thanks for clarifying that rhythm/ tempo question Doris..My God ! I'm so confoozed. I hope I have a grip on it by the time world's rolls around.;)

B/S's SD worked better for me,too. I really like them and think they got lost in the shuffle a bit last year.

alithia

Final Flight
It's quite difficult to combine the Golden Waltz with the Argentine Tango approach most teams have taken.They probably think that argentinian tango and especially Piazolla since most of them have used his music is more powerful and can make more impact than a tango romantica, but music like Amelie just doesn't go with any tango.It would be better if P/B have used Amelie for their entire routine, even though it doesn't have the accentuation that the GW needs.
I like B/S better than I/K too.Somehow I feel strange watching such young kids skating to a kind of music they should be skating to in 4-5 years time and I entirely blame whoever picked the music for them and not the skaters.
B/S are a fluid team, they're sloppy at times but they seem to understand the rules, or at least their coaches seem to, although I have a question mark for their FD music being on one tempo.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
V&M did not appear at the Arctic Edge dress rehearsal yesterday, although they had been advertised to appear. No public reason has been given that I have heard so far. D&W performed both SD and FD, and Tarasova was there to monitor Khokhlova and Andreev.

npa

Match Penalty
V&M did not appear at the Arctic Edge dress rehearsal yesterday, although they had been advertised to appear. No public reason has been given that I have heard so far. D&W performed both SD and FD, and Tarasova was there to monitor Khokhlova and Andreev.

But they didnt skate at previose tests in Canton. And this was free enter show - maybe they didnt need to give some reasons, why they didnt skate yestarday. Maybe they were in Canada and to Thanksgiving long-weekend :)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Of course, they are not required to provided a reason, even if it weren't a free show.

However, if V&M were simply planning to take a vacation for Thanksgiving, it would have been nice and polite if they informed the rink so that they did not issue an announcement that V&M would be there.

npa

Match Penalty
Of course, they are not required to provided a reason, even if it weren't a free show.

However, if V&M were simply planning to take a vacation for Thanksgiving, it would have been nice and polite if they informed the rink so that they did not issue an announcement that V&M would be there.

Maybe you are right. But i dont know, maybe they are not planning to skate at this show at all, but rink could made anoounsment without there permisiion, because they wish to see more people and OG medalist could help with this, but V-M didnt planing take a part at this show.
In any case i hope they will be ready for GP. This show wasnt lidted at there official site. And people came to AEA to see Meryl and Charlie and other USA skaters - all is OK
If something happened with V-M maybe they didnt want inform public. But i hope all is OK

herios

Medalist
B/S's SD worked better for me,too. I really like them and think they got lost in the shuffle a bit last year.

Perhaps, but they have to blame themsleves as well. This team is quite talented and capable to carry on the russian torch, but I have seen them many times making big mistakes in competition (nerves?) and their transition from junior to senior was not impressive either, for about 2 years they were rather forgettable (2008-09). But for me, they are the best positioned of the russian teams to have a chance to medal and I think at the Euros there will be 4 teams in contention for the medals, B/S with the 3 veteran teams F/S, P/B and K/K.

~tapdancer

On the Ice
Just some random thoughts on some of the Short dances I've been able to see...
Hubbells...I like this for them. The music works well and they looked pretty good to me.
Bobrova/Soloviev...liked this very much. Love the music and they definitely have improved their speed. Glad to see them looking better, I've enjoyed them ever since I saw them skate R&J.
I/K...hate, hate this music. They didn't look like the same team I've watched in the past...kinda sloppy (saw the Finlandia skate). I know they have a lot of hype but they'd better skate a bit better to live up to it.
P/B...I love watching them skate but I don't care for this program. I'm glad D/W decided not to use "Amelie". I love the music but it just makes me zzzone out watching it skated. Their music cuts weren't very good either, imo. Not really sure about their costume choice, either.
V/M...I've only seen a homemade show video and I believe they didn't skate the finished product but what I saw was not really blowing my skirt up. I will reserve judgment until later when it comes to V/M, though.
I haven't seen D/W's yet...of course, I'm anxiously waiting!

herios

Medalist
Now, although heartbroken for Tessa's injury, at least in the GP series, we will need to see which team will step up to the plate and ascend on the podium, behind D/W.
Of course,from Europe, several teams will be in the run, however, i hope C/P will take the occassion and carry the canadian flag high.
Even with V/M healthy, I was having great expectations from Vanessa and Paul. At a very tender age in ice dance, they are already ranked well inside the top 10 in the world. i hope they will pick up the new season where they left the previous one.