What will the 2010/2011 bring us in ICE DANCE? | Page 8 | Golden Skate

What will the 2010/2011 bring us in ICE DANCE?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I think they can definitely make top 6 at Worlds
To medal they would have to surpass all but 2 of the following group
D&W
F&S
P&B
K&K
W&P
H&Z
C&L
V&M if they come back for Worlds
And the ever popular cast of thousands.

I want to see P&B's new SD to Lara's Theme and F&S's programs as skated at CoC this week before I predict a medal for them. Most of all, I want to know whether V&M are taking the whole year off or just a part.

Just as C&P are looking better, so are C&Z-they may well make it to Worlds this year. After LPIDC, I wouldn't have said so, but S&B are out injured, B&A and N&B have retired, so the 2 extra spots behind Meryl and Charlie are likely to go to 2 of the following:

Shibs
C&Z
Hubbells
and a very outside chance for Canuscio and Lorello. Earlier in the summer I would have bet on Shibs and S&B, and if S&B were out , the Hubbells. Now I think C&Z and Shibs are the choice.

Their Cabaret FD and Edith Piaf SD are very good vehicles for them. Greg has finally come alive as the Master of Ceremonies character in Cabaret, eye makeup and all. The program is still rough, but it's relatively new to them, and the combination of the 2 programs did net them a bronze at SC. In fact, again due to V&M withdrawing, TEB has a rather weak field and C&Z could medal again. If the stars align correctly they might even snag the last spot at the GPF.

It's telling that they were called out by Nick Verreos, the Project Runway guy who is doing a costume blog for Universal Sports in the following way. Last year, no one outside skating would have noticed C&Z:

Cabaret On Ice: Madison Chock and Greg Zuerlein skated their Free Dance to Caberet and had one of the standout performances of the night. Their costumes definitely helped their dynamic skate. If Liza Minelli and Joel Grey could ice skate, this would be them! Caberet: The Movie on Ice? I would be the first one in line to buy tickets.

He also loved P&I and C&P and hated G&B. K&K got no mention.
http://www.universalsports.com/photos/galleryid=498916.html#fashion+cents+canada

Last edited:

herios

Medalist
I think they can definitely make top 6 at Worlds

If C/P will manage only 6th at Worlds, I would be dissapointed, because they are now ranked 6th already, with the Zaretky's out.
They have never looked as polished at the beginning of the season as they looked this week end. And they are progressing faster than the teams ahead of them, that is why I am very optimistic about their year. I like IP's projection:biggrin:
but I will be happy with them onthe heels of the top teams to put the pressure on. If they develop and smooth out the FD as they did their SD, a medal is possible.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Just want to be clear that I am not predicting top 6 or a medal for C&Z-just that they will be on the US world team if S/B don't make it back in time for nationals.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
doris, why the Hubbells vs C/Z vs Shibutanis? I've pretty much written the Hubbells off - I was EXTREMELY disappointed with them in 2009/2010, and I thought their "Sognami" was fascinating the season prior.

Also, what do you think about the top four ice dance teams all working with the same coach in terms of what it means for American ice dance?

Last edited:

herios

Medalist
:biggrin:I agree completely that 4th would be a great finish for P/I at nationals,and I'm not thinking that they should bump C/P or W/P. I always thought C/P would be safe for this year at least...I'll be watching CoC to see how R/H are shaping up but I'm thinking things are not looking good for them..All of this is assuming, of course, that V/M will be at nationals.If R/H should finish 5th, I think they'll still get funding ,but not the prime assignments. Do I have that figured right ?

I'd beg to argue that P/I are pretty exceptional, considering the length of time they'd been together at their senior debut Vs. the length of time V/M had been together at theirs...But let's face it , it's almost useless to compare to V/M, or be looking for another couple to duplicate the way they burst on the scene. All the stars aligned there. Both partners very talented, paired very young, both desiring to commit to their sport, able to touch their audience , as they can. It just doesn't all come together that way too often.

Of course, what makes the V/M - D/W story so compelling. Charlie and Meryl have a similar background , but in another country, both couples come to prominence at the same time (rare enough), then they wind up with the same coaches and a friendship as well as a rivalry.I don't think either couple invites comparison , and may not for some time.

And that's why I feel it's such a wrong step for the P/I camp to encourage comparison to V/M. Those young skaters shouldn't have to try to live up to V/M's progress ,mainly because of her appearance. There's lots to admire..let them be admired for themselves. They're extremely promising , but Ice Dance around the world is filled with promise right now.I always hate it when "The Next One" syndrome raises it's ugly head..I really hope they'll be spared.

In the States I don't know what will happen between C/S and the Shibs..and I really want to see what's up with the Hubbells..

Dang. I've rambled.

You rambled just right:)

I am already annoeyd by theis V/M canneling of everyone when they talk about P/I, the second phrase is "they are reminiscent of...".
Give it a friggin'break!
V/M are one and only, for now, and let P/I develop and take their time and do not put the pressure on them.
It is simply not necessary, there are enough dance teams now in Canada, we do not need the next V/M, plenty to enjoy. Wish others were this lucky.
And by the way, the next big one will be C/P. Period.

Tanja90

On the Ice
Due to injury? Any news as to why?

They returned in Italy to train wit paola mezzadri and leaving zazoui..apparently they are working on their free dance...rumors are that they're doing a new one so they need time and they won't go to skate america!

herios

Medalist
They returned in Italy to train wit paola mezzadri and leaving zazoui..apparently they are working on their free dance...rumors are that they're doing a new one so they need time and they won't go to skate america!

Not rumors anymore...

From Wikipedia:

"They then placed a disappointing fifth at the 2010 NHK Trophy, after which they decided to leave coach Muriel Zazoui and move back to Milan to train with Paola Mezzadri.[4] They withdrew from 2010 Skate America in order to prepare a new free dance"

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ice dance seems to be the one discipline you can't win by falling all over the place. In fact, it may now be my favorite discipline! I'm really loving what we've seen so far from Meryl/Charlie, Kaitlyn/Andrew, Vanessa/Paul, Nathalie/Fabian, and Federica/Massimo! :love:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes, when you really flub it up in dance, you go down the standing. Remember D&W's dreadful OD from COR in the 2008/2009 season (Charleston) where Charlie fell twice and had another major messup? They fell back to 8th in that segment. However, by finishing 3rd in the CD and 2nd in the FD, they finished 3rd overall.

When B&A fell in the CD at 2008 Worlds, they dropped and finished 4th overall.

Even stepping on a skirt can cause a significant drop, which is one reason why F&S finished behind Bobrova/Soloviev at the recent CoC.

herios

Medalist
Yes, when you really flub it up in dance, you go down the standing. Remember D&W's dreadful OD from COR in the 2008/2009 season (Charleston) where Charlie fell twice and had another major messup? They fell back to 8th in that segment. However, by finishing 3rd in the CD and 2nd in the FD, they finished 3rd overall.

When B&A fell in the CD at 2008 Worlds, they dropped and finished 4th overall.

Even stepping on a skirt can cause a significant drop, which is one reason why F&S finished behind Bobrova/Soloviev at the recent CoC.

F/S have good material, and they will do fine, but those scissors have to be taken out from the drawer...

C/L on another hand need to do something, because they are falling back, losing placements in the world rankings, especially after the Olympic games is a major alert in ice dancing, time to get down to business for them.

This next week end, we will see for the second time, D/W and C/P with most likely improved versions of their dances. Will be interesting how they measure against each other and what kind of tweaking they can make.
So far, the most poised and focused team are P/B, as they have had already 4 events and it shows how polished they became.
I was always goal focused person myself, so I will give them props for what they are doing.

And of course, as a canadian, I enjoy every moment to see how well canadian ice dancing is fairing. I pray so Tessa can get healthy again and come back only when 100%. No need to rush it, they have good back-up:p:thumbsup:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I agree, about V&M. I understand the pressure to skate and win at Vancouver, but Tessa has a long life ahead of her, and should not damage her legs further by returning to competition too soon, especially since they have already achieved all their goals and now would just be skating for their legacy, for history, and possibly to advance the sport.

My theory is that if they wait till she's completely healed, they will stay in competition longer than if they come back to early. That would be a good thing :)

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Agree. Their comments thus far make me think that they're taking the entire season off. They've mentioned a couple times that they don't want to rush anything, and the inference was that they rushed it in the 08/09 season.

The downside is that it'll take a giant stroke of luck to maintain three spots in the 2011/12 season for Canada.

herios

Medalist
Agree. Their comments thus far make me think that they're taking the entire season off. They've mentioned a couple times that they don't want to rush anything, and the inference was that they rushed it in the 08/09 season.

The downside is that it'll take a giant stroke of luck to maintain three spots in the 2011/12 season for Canada.

Most likely they won't go to nationals. And they don't need to. However, if Tessa will be fine and they feel like will be able to be competitive by March, they will certainly get a bye and go to Worlds. But this will be known only in a few months.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Does SC do that? Give byes? If any skater or team should get one, V&M would be that team.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Does SC do that? Give byes? If any skater or team should get one, V&M would be that team.

Stojko missed two nationals (according to wikipedia) but went to Worlds (1994/1995 and 2000/2001). I dunno if he got a bye as he did compete those seasons internationally, though. I agree that V/M COULD get a by directly to Worlds. But we saw what happened to Delobel/Schoenfelder last season not competing. I wouldn't want to see V/M passed by due to not understanding the level rules/Golden Waltz sequence stuff. I think all they lose is international ranking by skipping this season, which they hardly care about.

herios

Medalist
Stojko missed two nationals (according to wikipedia) but went to Worlds (1994/1995 and 2000/2001). I dunno if he got a bye as he did compete those seasons internationally, though. I agree that V/M COULD get a by directly to Worlds. But we saw what happened to Delobel/Schoenfelder last season not competing. I wouldn't want to see V/M passed by due to not understanding the level rules/Golden Waltz sequence stuff. I think all they lose is international ranking by skipping this season, which they hardly care about.

I have no clue to what happened to Stojoko in early 1994, as I emigrated here only in April that year, but in 1995 I know Elvis got injured at practice before nationals. And he withdrew. Sebastien Britten won that title, and later in March Elvis was named to the team and won his second title at Worlds in Birmingham.
So yes, we have precedence.
We will know for sure how Tessa is progressing with her recovering, as I can see since the season started the interviews are now more often than anytime before and the question of when they coming back is asked almost daily...
We will know in time when they resume training and get a measure of how she feels.