U.S. Ladies Prediction & Speculation Thread | Page 9 | Golden Skate

U.S. Ladies Prediction & Speculation Thread

Nadine

Record Breaker
Last night after viewing Mao Asada's masterpiece exhibition piece from 2008 (as well as timeless ones from Oksana Baiul), I decided to watch the top 3 from the 2010 Ladies Nationals again, which I haven't watched since January.

And though I would have given it to Mirai Nagasu (she was a delight!), my heart was with Ashley Wagner. I still maintain she should have won Nationals in 2008 ~ that's the best I've ever seen her skate ~ imho she's by far the fastest skater amongst the USA ladies. She never stops, she literally speeds around, in fact maybe she should slow down a little, lol, especially when the music calls for it; hold out her positions a little longer to savor them. But that's being nitpicky, I still think she's the most complete skater out there in terms of having it all ~ speed, power, superb spinner, flexibility, emotion, and when she's on her jumps & 3/3s are a delight to behold. But consistency is her nemesis. I think the USFSA is willing to give it to her (dying to give it to her in fact), but she always tends to come up short when it counts. :( This is where Rachael Flatt trumps her again & again & again, and rightfully so.

Of course Mirai also has it all, but in a different way; she & Ashley have different strengths and different body shapes, and thus far Mirai's are more appreciated when each skates their very best (e.g. 2008 Nationals). But looking at history, this is the way it has always been. The more stockier type skater always has to rely on her jumps in order to defeat the ballerina (e.g. Tonya vs. Kristi). Therefore, I think Mirai will win Nationals again this year unless Ashley & Rachael, et al, can bring down the house with 3/3s, 3A, and 7 triples galore!

I'm just hoping everybody brings their A-game, like they did in 2008, and may the best woman win!!!!!! *clapping*

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Last night after viewing Mao Asada's masterpiece exhibition piece from 2008 (as well as timeless ones from Oksana Baiul), I decided to watch the top 3 from the 2010 Ladies Nationals again, which I haven't watched since January.

And though I would have given it to Mirai Nagasu (she was a delight!), my heart was with Ashley Wagner. I still maintain she should have won Nationals in 2008 ~

Not trying to rain on your parade but I thought Ashley was overscored (at 2008) ... would have to review my tapes to remember exactly but I think some jump issues and bobbles here and there got overlooked with Ashley. I do like her though -- she is blazing fast and her jumps almost come out of nowhere!

I enjoy Mirai and Rachael, too. I think all 3 ladies bring something different to the ice and are great to watch and support even if they are not gold medal contenders (most of the time).

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice
Not trying to rain on your parade but I thought Ashley was overscored (at 2008) ... would have to review my tapes to remember exactly but I think some jump issues and bobbles here and there got overlooked with Ashley. I do like her though -- she is blazing fast and her jumps almost come out of nowhere!

I enjoy Mirai and Rachael, too. I think all 3 ladies bring something different to the ice and are great to watch and support even if they are not gold medal contenders (most of the time).

My hope for the season is that they send the best 2 to World's this season so that they can send Ashley-Mirai-Rachael to Nice in 2012. :)

janetfan

Match Penalty
My hope for the season is that they send the best 2 to World's this season so that they can send Ashley-Mirai-Rachael to Nice in 2012. :)

It will be Mirai, and either Christina, Ashley,Caroline or Agnes. Rachael will be off doing homework at Stanford by 2012.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
It will be Mirai, and either Christina, Ashley,Caroline or Agnes. Rachael will be off doing homework at Stanford by 2012.

In theory. I know how much Rachael loves school but if she has really good results this season such as making/medaling at the GPF or medaling at Worlds, she may wait another year to go to college.

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice

Oh this is true! Then I'd like Mirai and Rachael to go this season, and for both of them to do well enough to get 3 spots for the US in 2012, with Rachael doing well enough that she feels satisfied ending her career on that note.

ETA (preemptive rebuttal): To those that will say "Oh Rachael's talented AND smart enough to go to Stanford AND be internationally competitive!". Guys, it's Stanford AND she wants to be pre-med. I'm a recent Ivy grad and, trust me; going to a school of that level and maintaining a high enough GPA to be competitive in med school admissions isn't a joke.

More ETA:
In theory. I know how much Rachael loves school but if she has really good results this season such as making/medaling at the GPF or medaling at Worlds, she may wait another year to go to college.
They only let you defer by a year, so this would mean that she'd have to reapply. Moreover, many schools have limits on how many years you can have between high school and matriculation such that she'd have to enroll in a program for non-traditional students (à-la Timothy Goebel), which would prevent her from having a "traditional" college experience... though I'm not sure what Stanford's policy is on this.

Last edited:

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Agree with Serpentine. Rachael can't defer more than one year, and I don't think she'll go back to a reapplication scenario--arduous process and nobody wants to do it more than once. I think this season will be Rachael's last as a competitive eligible skater, and she'll move on. Any top university pre-med program is incompatible with an elite skating training and competition schedule, ain't going to happen.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I agree, and if Rachel really thinks she can do it she's got another think coming.

After this season she might retire to go to college. Nothing wrong with that, and I think she's peaked already anyway.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I agree, and if Rachel really thinks she can do it she's got another think coming.

After this season she might retire to go to college. Nothing wrong with that, and I think she's peaked already anyway.

RD, you seem big on this "US Skating decides who they want to be the champion."
I disagree with that and also have no idea whether Rachael has already peaked. We all hear how much she loves her studies so if she deferred Stanford for a year I don't think it was with the intent to come in second at Natls or to miss a last shot at a medal at Worlds.

Let's give her not only her due - but the benefit of the doubt. I am sure Mirai can think of other US Ladies she would rather compete against than Rachael. :yes:

Go Rachael ......but please go alot FASTER :)

Last edited:

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Yu-Na Kim tries to do college and skating full time. As I understand it, she flunked.
I wonder if Rachael can take a light course load like Ashley is.

DiSkates

Spectator

If Racheal medals at Worlds, I don't think she will be retiring until 2014.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
If Racheal medals at Worlds, I don't think she will be retiring until 2014.

agreed. If she gets that much glory, it would be REALLY hard to leave that all behind for school books. That said, i don't think she will medal at worlds. Top 10 yes.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
agreed. If she gets that much glory, it would be REALLY hard to leave that all behind for school books. That said, i don't think she will medal at worlds. Top 10 yes.

She's done top 10 at worlds twice. She's aiming for a medal, and if she doesn't get it this season, she'll go to Stanford next year and maybe try to skate at the same time but essentially she'll be pretty much done. If she comes in say 4th at Worlds, she might wait one more year and then go to college. If she medals, then the plan will probably be to go until 2014, but if next season things go south, then she might retire before then.

I wonder if Alissa is trying to stick around for Sochi....she'd be what, 26 almost 27 then? I don't really get why she switched coaches and is continuing unless she still hopes to go to the Olympics.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I wonder if Alissa is trying to stick around for Sochi....she'd be what, 26 almost 27 then? I don't really get why she switched coaches and is continuing unless she still hopes to go to the Olympics.

maybe she thinks she can win a world medal?

ETA: Silly me. It should have read "she HOPES to win a world medal", not THINK she can win one.

Last edited:

bekalc

Record Breaker
While I realize it's Stanford, couldn't Rachael just go part time there (maybe even so much as a class a semester, and maybe go with easier courses for awhile? I have to agree though that heavy duty college studying and competitive skating don't really go together. You want to do justice to both. I think Michelle had it absolutely right when she for the most part really held of school until she was done with skating.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
While I realize it's Stanford, couldn't Rachael just go part time there (maybe even so much as a class a semester, and maybe go with easier courses for awhile? I have to agree though that heavy duty college studying and competitive skating don't really go together. You want to do justice to both. I think Michelle had it absolutely right when she for the most part really held of school until she was done with skating.

For pre-med, won't work part time. The way those programs are set up and with the lab sequences, no way to work the schedule out. There just aren't a lot of options or wiggle room to fit anything else in life in. Most of the skaters that ended up being doctors (i.e. Debi Thomas) first finished their competitive skating completely. Pre-med is highly competitive from start to finish, and those that seem to "dabble" will be eaten up alive when it comes to med school admissions. And at Stanford, Rachael will find herself up against fellow students that will probably make her look and feel like a dummy, however brilliant she might have been in high school. Nature of places like Stanford, talent overflow.

Part time only works with some universities and/or with some types of study programs, usual the non-science/non-technical/non-professional types.

Agreed. She owes such a career her complete concentration. It isn't just something you do because you're smart. It's something you do because you're going to take care of your fellow human beings. Think about it: would you want to go to a doctor who studied medicine on the side?

R.D.

Record Breaker
All the more reason to speculate that she will retire by season's end, barring some remarkable results (e.g. a World podium finish).

So we're to look to our youngsters to fill her shoes afterward.