Page 10 of 81 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 60 ... LastLast

Thread: U.S. Ladies Prediction & Speculation Thread

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Since we did not get the three spots back of course if I could do it over again I would send Ashley.
    No guarantee on her but Rachael was not herself at Wolrds. Could have been the long season and fatigue. I don;t think Rachael even tried a 3x3 in either program.

Ashley did something Mirai and Rachael did not do last season. She made the GPF.
    So yes, if I could try again I would keep Mirai's 7th place and see if Ashley could do better than Rachael's 9th.

What would you do if we had a second chance?
    For reasons I mentioned in earlier posts, I would have sent Nagasu and Flatt again. Wagner is too much of a risk- nevermind what happened at 2008 worlds for a minute- her inability to step it up in the SP and put herself in striking position would work against her. The way I see it, Wagner not so much fought her way to the GPF as she relied on skaters above her bombing and having really rough times. If those skaters skated like they did at the Olys, we all know Wagner wouldn't have been in striking distance.

If it seems I'm being a bit hard on Wagner here, no ill feelings intended. I just try to tell it like I see it and cut through the sugar-coating, cheerleading, etc. Having said that, though, I still think on a national scale she is a real threat, and could possibly win Nationals next year- IF she can conquer her SP demons.

What about this young lady?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyIaP...next=1&index=4

By next season she may be the one!

Down With It

If by "next season" you mean 2011-12, then yes, it is possible. However, I strongly caution against setting any sort of sizable expectation on a skater that is just developing. Remember, Caroline Zhang...any skater can struggle, get injured, or go through rough patches.

Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    If by "next season" you mean 2011-12, then yes, it is possible. However, I strongly caution against setting any sort of sizable expectation on a skater that is just developing. Remember, Caroline Zhang...any skater can struggle, get injured, or go through rough patches.
    Christina is being developed and trained in CoP land. Wilson will know her strengths inside-out and will know how to emphasize them and hide her weaknesses. Orser has to get her spins better but her jumps look nice. I think this season she is bringing a 3F+3T. She may also have the advantage of training with the same team for the whole Olympic cycle.

I like her.......where is silverlake

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar

I mean, I think she needs a lot more polish, not just a little. I think people are thinking she is Michelle Kwan circa 1995 right now and she do a 1996 Michelle Kwan-like blossoming this year or next. Could be and I really hope so but we'll see. We'll see if her awkwardness is just her age or something fundamental. She was almost 16 at nationals. When you think back to the 15-year-old Michelle, Sasha, Sarah, even Tara....

And here is Mao Asada at 14 You can see that aside from having the jumps, there was little awkwardness about her even at that age.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGTM6...eature=related
    Last edited by Layfan; 09-08-2010 at 09:02 PM.

Custom Title
    I feel Christina Gao has made noticeable improvements in her overall skating since Nationals -- videos of her new programs at Skate Detroit in late July are linked in this post: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...l=1#post512842

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    I feel Christina Gao has made noticeable improvements in her overall skating since Nationals -- videos of her new programs at Skate Detroit in late July are linked in this post: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...l=1#post512842
    Thanks - and she definitely has! She's definitely finishing off her moves much better. Much more mature. She still needs faster spins. Is there anything she can do about that or is that one of the you-have-it-or-don't kind of things?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post
    She still needs faster spins. Is there anything she can do about that or is that one of the you-have-it-or-don't kind of things?
    I've heard Gao has been working on her spins. For any young skater, the key is to keep improving weaknesses and to progress at a pace that is natural for her/him.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Thanks Sylvia. Christina's progress in the last two years has been amazing. I like her LP alot. And those jumps look so nice.
    I think her spins look better and her musicality and style is pleasing.
    She is also Orser's # 1 girl now. Think of all the extra attention she will get now!

Custom Title
    Christina is being developed and trained in CoP land. Wilson will know her strengths inside-out and will know how to emphasize them and hide her weaknesses. Orser has to get her spins better but her jumps look nice. I think this season she is bringing a 3F+3T. She may also have the advantage of training with the same team for the whole Olympic cycle.

I like her.......where is silverlake
    Right here! And yes likely Christina will be the next "big thing", or at least share that title with Mirai. I know Flatt is landing 3lz-3lo and all that but at this point I don't see her really making a breakthrough into the top echelon of international ladies until she improves her speed, posture, flexibility/lines, and spins (sorry to be blunt).

Christina doesn't have the best spins and she isn't a gumby doll either, but somehow I feel like she can learn to improve her spins, spirals, and flexibility if she just devotes some time to it. Yuna has never been a gumby doll and had very poor spiral positions and some inflexible spin positions (in her junior days hit sit spin didn't sit that much and she didn't include biellman in layback), but she managed to improve them to the point where she gets high +GOE on them without having to become a rubber band. Christina's layback has already improved a lot and I think she's getting the hang of the donut spin now, mostly she just needs to work on centering her spins and rotating faster. Her 3f-3t seems pretty solid, and she's usually pretty consistent/reliable in competition. She's still a little gangly sure but at least this season she's making an effort in her costumes, makeup, and choreography to look more mature. In a couple years she'll probably end up being built like Yuna and she'll just look willowy instead of angular. We'll see how she fairs this season but she seems to have her head in the right place, further, I don't think she's had any serious injuries in awhile which is a good sign.

Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Right here! And yes likely Christina will be the next "big thing", or at least share that title with Mirai. I know Flatt is landing 3lz-3lo and all that but at this point I don't see her really making a breakthrough into the top echelon of international ladies until she improves her speed, posture, flexibility/lines, and spins (sorry to be blunt).

Christina doesn't have the best spins and she isn't a gumby doll either, but somehow I feel like she can learn to improve her spins, spirals, and flexibility if she just devotes some time to it. Yuna has never been a gumby doll and had very poor spiral positions and some inflexible spin positions (in her junior days hit sit spin didn't sit that much and she didn't include biellman in layback), but she managed to improve them to the point where she gets high +GOE on them without having to become a rubber band. Christina's layback has already improved a lot and I think she's getting the hang of the donut spin now, mostly she just needs to work on centering her spins and rotating faster. Her 3f-3t seems pretty solid, and she's usually pretty consistent/reliable in competition. She's still a little gangly sure but at least this season she's making an effort in her costumes, makeup, and choreography to look more mature. In a couple years she'll probably end up being built like Yuna and she'll just look willowy instead of angular. We'll see how she fairs this season but she seems to have her head in the right place, further, I don't think she's had any serious injuries in awhile which is a good sign.
    You forgot to mention how pretty Christina is and I think she is growing into a stunning looking young lady. Not that it matters.....cough, .....but it is still a judged sport

Mashimaro on Ice
    And here is Mao Asada at 14 You can see that aside from having the jumps, there was little awkwardness about her even at that age.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGTM6...eature=related
    Well, 14 year olds are usually a little awkward. Or are you saying that's still the case? Then I can't really agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    Well, 14 year olds are usually a little awkward. Or are you saying that's still the case? Then I can't really agree with you.
    no, no. I'm saying there was little to no awkwardness about Mao even at that age. I'm saying she was very graceful and polished even then. Sorry, badly written statement.

Mashimaro on Ice
    no, no. I'm saying there was little to no awkwardness about Mao even at that age. I'm saying she was very graceful and polished even then. Sorry, badly written statement.
    Oh I see. Sorry.

Down With It
    As for Gao- I'll believe it when I SEE it.

Page 10 of 81 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 60 ... LastLast